1. Hwang SW, Dunn JR. Homeless people. In: Galea S, Vlahov D, eds. Handbook of Urban Health: Populations, Methods, and Practice. New York: Springer; 2005: 21-41.
2. Khandor E, Mason K. The Street Health Report 2007. Toronto: Street Health; 2007.
3. La Gory M, Ritchey F, Fitzpatrick K. Homelessness and affiliation. Sociol Q. 1991; 32(2): 201-218.
4. Fischer PJ, Shapiro S, Breakey WR, Anthony JC, Kramer M. Mental health and social characteristics of the homeless: a survey of mission users. Am J Public Health. 1986; 76(5): 519-524. [PubMed]
5. Solarz A, Bogat GA. When social support fails: the homeless. J Commun Psychol. 1990; 18: 79-96.
6. Hall A, Wellman B. Social networks and social support. In: Cohen S, Syme SL, eds. Social Support and Health. Orlando: Academic; 1985.
7. Berkman LF, Glass T. Social integration, social networks, social support, and health. In: Berkman LF, Kawachi I, eds. Social Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press; 2000: 137-173.
8. Kawachi I, Berkman LF. Social ties and mental health. J Urban Health. 2001; 78(3): 458-467. [PubMed] 9. Noh S, Kaspar V. Perceived discrimination and depression: moderating effects of coping, acculturation and ethnic support. Am J Public Health. 2003; 93(2): 232-238. [PubMed] 10. Cornman JC, Goldman N, Glei DA, Weinstein M, Chang MC. Social ties and perceived social support: two dimensions of social relationships and health among the elderly in Taiwan. J Aging Health. 2003; 15(4): 616-644. [PubMed]
11. Sarason BR, Sarason IG, Pierce GR. Social Support: An Interactional View. New York: Wiley; 1990.
12. Sherbourne CD, Stewart AL. The MOS social support survey. Soc Sci Med. 1991; 32(6): 705-714. [PubMed]
13. Calsyn RJ, Winter JP. Social support, psychiatric symptoms and housing: a causal analysis. J Commun Psychol. 2002; 30(3): 247-259.
14. Bao WN, Whitbeck LB, Hoyt DR. Abuse, support and depression among homeless and runaway youth. J Health Soc Behav. 2000; 41(4): 408-420. [PubMed] 15. Nyamathi A, Leake B, Keenan C, Gelberg L. Type of social support among homeless women: its impact on psychosocial resources, health and health behaviors, and use of health services. Nurs Res. 2000; 49(6): 318-326. [PubMed] 16. Schutt RK, Meschede T, Rierdan J. Distress, suicidal thoughts, and social support among homeless adults. J Health Soc Behav. 1994; 35(2): 134-142. [PubMed]
17. Nyamathi A, Wayment H, Dunkel-Schetter C. Psychosocial correlates of emotional distress and risk behavior in African–American women at risk for HIV infection. Anxiety Stress Coping. 1993; 6: 133-148.
18. Abdul-Quader A, Tross S, Friedman S, Kouzi A, Des Jarlais D. Street-recruited drug users and sexual risk reduction in New York City. AIDS. 1990; 4: 1075-1079. [PubMed]
19. Toro PA, Tulloch E, Ouellette N. Stress, social support and outcomes in two probability samples of homeless adults. J Commun Psychol. 2008; 36(4): 483-498.
20. Irwin J, LaGory M, Ritchey F, Fitzpatrick K. Social assets and mental distress among the homeless: exploring the roles of social support and other forms of social capital on depression. Soc Sci Med. 2008; 67: 1935-1943. [PubMed] 21. Lam JA, Rosenheck R. Social support and service use among homeless persons with serious mental illness. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 1999; 45(1): 13-28. [PubMed]
22. McCarthy B, Hagan J, Martin MJ. In and out of harm’s way: violent victimization and the social capital of fictive street families. Criminology. 2002; 40(4): 831-862.
23. Wenzel SL, Tucker JS, Elliott MN, Marshall GN, Williamson SL. Physical violence against impoverished women: a longitudinal analysis of risk and protective factors. Women’s Health Issues. 2004; 14: 144-154. [PubMed] 24. Lam JA, Rosenheck R. The effect of victimization on clinical outcomes of homeless persons with serious mental illness. Psychiatr Serv. 1998; 49: 678-683. [PubMed] 25. Kushel MB, Evans JL, Perry S, Robertson MJ, Moss AR. No door to lock: victimization among homeless and marginally housed persons. Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 2492-2499. [PubMed]
26. Hwang SW, Chiu S, Kiss A, et al. Use of meal programs and shelters by homeless people in Toronto. J Urban Health. 2005; 82(Supplement 2): ii46.
27. Robertson MJ, Winkleby MA. Mental health problems of homeless women and differences across subgroups. Annu Rev Public Health. 1996; 17: 311-336. [PubMed]
28. Wellman B, Wortley S. Different strokes from different folks: community ties and social support. Am J Sociol. 1990; 96(3): 558-588.
29. Meeks S, Murrell SA. Service providers in the social networks of clients with severe mental illness. Schizophr Bull. 1994; 20(2): 399-406. [PubMed]
30. Ware JE, Kosinski M, Keller SD. SF-12: How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales. 2nd ed. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center; 1995.
31. McGahan PL, Griffith JA, Parente R, et al. (2007). Addiction Severity Index: Composite Scores Manual. Philadelphia, PA: The University of Pennsylvania/Veterans Administration Centre for Studies of Addiction. Available at: http://www.tresearch.org/resources/compscores/CompositeManual.pdf. Accessed on: September 4, 2007.
32. McLellan AT, Kushner H, Metzger D, et al. The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992; 9: 199-213. [PubMed]
33. Interagency Council on the Homeless. Homelessness: Programs and the People They Serve. Findings of the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients. Washington, DC: Interagency Council on the Homeless; 1999.
34. Zanis DA, McLellan AT, Canaan RA, Randall M. Reliability and validity of the Addiction Severity Index with a homeless sample. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1994; 11: 541-548. [PubMed] 35. Peduzzi P, Concato J, Kemper E, et al. A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis. J Clin Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 1373-1379. [PubMed]
36. Sarason IG, Sarason BR, Shearin EN, Peirce GR. A brief measure of social support: practical and theoretical implications. J Soc Pers Relatsh. 1987; 4: 497-510.
37. Antonucci TC, Israel BA. Veridicality of social support: a comparison of principal and network members’ responses. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1986; 54: 432-437. [PubMed]
38. McKenzie K, Harpham T. Meanings and uses of social capital in the mental health field. In: McKenzie K, Harpham T, eds. Social Capital and Mental Health. London: Jessica Kingsley; 2006: 11-23.
39. Harpham T, Grant E, Rodriguez C. Mental health and social capital in Cali, Colombia. Soc Sci Med. 2004; 58(11): 2267-2277. [PubMed]
40. Lin N. Building a network theory of social capital. In: Lin N, Cook K, Burt RS, eds. Social Capital: Theory and Research. New York: Aldine de Gruyter; 2001: 3-29.
41. Portes A. Social capital: its origins and applications in modern sociology. Annu Rev Sociology. 1998; 24: 1-12.
42. Putnam RD. Making Democracy Work: Civic Traditions in Modern Italy. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 1993.
43. Coleman JS. Social capital in the creation of human capital. Am J Sociol. 1988; 94: S95-S120.
44. Fitzpatrick KM, Irwin J, LaGory M, Ritchey F. Just thinking about it: social capital and suicide ideation among homeless persons. J Health Psychol. 2007; 12(5): 750-760. [PubMed]