1. Liaw S-T, Humphreys JS, Rural e. Health paradox: It's not just geography! Austral J Rural Health 2006;14:95-98. [PubMed]
2. Institute of Medicine To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health SystemWashington, D.C: National Academic Press; 2000.
3. Rosenblatt RA, Andrilla HA, Curtin T, Hart LG. Shortages of medical personnel at community health centers: Implications for planned expansion J Am Med Assoc 2006;295:1042-1049. [PubMed]
4. Institute of Medicine Quality Through Collaboration: The Future of Rural HealthWashington, D.C: National Academic Press; 2004.
5. RDAA Rural Doctors Association of Australia Viable Models of Rural and Remote PracticeCanberra Australia: RDAA; 2003.
6. Rogers C. The older population in 21st century Americahttp://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ruralamerica/ra173/ra173b.pdf 2002. Accessed: Nov 27, 2007.
7. Arcury TA, Gesler WM, Preisser JS, et al. The effects of geography and spatial behavior on health care utilization among residents of a rural region. HSR. Health Serv Res 2005;50(1):135-155. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
8. In: Gamm LD, Hutchison LL, Dabney BJ, Dorsey AM, editors. Rural Healthy People 2010: A Companion Document to Healthy People 2010. Vol 1. College Station, Texas: Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, School of Rural Public Health, Southwest Rural Health Research Center; 2003.
9. Krout J. Providing Community-Based Services to the Rural ElderlyThousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1994.
10. Magilvy JK, Congdon JG, Martinez RJ, Davis R, Averill J. Caring for our own: Health care experiences of rural Hispanic elders J Aging Stud 2000;14(2):171-190.
11. Laurant M, Reeves D, Hermens R, et al. Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004. Issue 4. Art. No.: CD001271. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub2. The Cochrane Collaboration. Wiley. [PubMed]
12. Magee M. Home-Centered Health careNew York, New York: Spencer Books; 2007.
13. Schoenmann J. Policy brief analysis: Small, stand-alone, and struggling: The adoption of health information technology by Rural Hospitals (Apr 2007, W Series, No. 10)http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:zPsx7Sk9unoJ:www.norc.org/NR/rdonlyres/C3FB3F77-30BB-49B0-BBDD-6A5A8F27865B/0/WalshCtr2007NORC_BriefW10.pdf+Small,+Stand-Alone,+and+Struggling:+The+Adoption+of+Health+Information+Technology+by+Rural+Hospitals&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us 2007. Accessed Nov 29, 2007.
14. Ellis D. The acceleration of innovationshttp://hfd.dmc.org/download/acceleration.pdf 2003. Accessed: Dec 1, 2007.
15. Bell D. The Coming of Post Industrial Society: A Venture in Social Forecasting, New YorkNew York: Basic Books; 1973.
16. Servon L. Bridging the Digital Divide: Technology, Community and Public PolicyMalden, MA: Blackwell; 2002.
17. Federal Communication Commission (FCC) The rural health Care Pilot Programhttp://www.fcc.gov/cgb/rural/rhcp.html#orders 2006. Accessed: Sept 3, 2007.
18. Moore J. Federal grant expands Indiana HIE. Government Health IT 2008, Febr 1. http://www.govhealthit.com/online/news/350207-1.html 2006. Accessed: May 16, 2008.
19. Lundy K, Janes S. Community Health Nursing: Caring for the Public's HealthSudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett; 2005.
20. Abbott P, Coenan A. Globalization and advances in information and communication technologies: The impact on nursing and health Nurs Outlook 2008;56(5):238-246. [PubMed]
21. FCC FCC launches Initiative to Increase Access to Health Care in rural America Through broadband telehealth serviceshttp://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278260A1.doc 2008. Accessed: Jul 22, 2008.
22. Three additional hospitals activate link to telemedicine for teletrauma system. Bus Wire, Sept 12, 2007. http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.asp?n=1&neID=20070912290.2_a17e00200ca1898f 2008. Accessed: Sept 16, 2007.
23. AFHCAN Access without limitshttp://www.afhcan.org/about/default.aspx 2008. Accessed: Oct 29, 2008.
24. Informatics for diabetes education and telemedicine project (IDEATel)http://www.ideatel.org/index.html 2008. Accessed: July 22, 2008.
25. Peck A. Changing the face of standard nursing practice through telehealth and telenursing Nurs Admin Q 2005;29:339-343. [PubMed]
26. D'Andrea B, Wolski R, Accard-Butler K. Transforming high tech into high touch cardiac care Contin Care 1998;21(10):36-44.
27. Bowles K, Baugh A. Applying research evidence to optimize telehomecare J Cardiovasc Nurs 2007;22(1):5-15. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 28. Brennan PF, Moore SM, Bjonrsdottir G, et al. An internet-based information and support system for patient home recovery after coronary artery bypass grant (CABG) surgery J Adv Nurs 2001;35:699-708. [PubMed] 29. Moore SM, Primm TA. Designing and testing telehealth interventions to improve outcomes for cardiovascular patients Cardio Vasc Nurs 2007;22(1):43-50. [PubMed]
30. Intel Get FDA. Clearance on In-home medical device. http://www.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2008/07/07/daily64.html?ana=from_rss 2007. Accessed: October 22, 2008.
31. Center for Aging Technology Services (CAST)http://www.agingtech.org/about.aspx 2007. Accessed: Jul 20, 2008.
32. Bachman JA, Brennan PF, Patrick TB. Design and evaluation of SchoolhealthLink, a web-based health information resource J Sch Nurs 2003;19:351-357. [PubMed]
33. Abbott P. E-health and medical IT: A report. Touch briefings. http://www.touchbriefings.com/cdps/cditem.cfm?nid=1965&cid=5 2006. Accessed: Dec 28, 2007.
34. AMREF Upgrading 20,000 nurses in Kenyahttp://www.amref.org/what-we-do/upgrading-20000-nurses-in-kenya/ 2006. Accessed: Jul 2, 2008.
35. Cheng W-C, Thompson CB, Smith JA, Pugh L, Stanley C. A web-based breastfeeding education program J Perinat Educ 2003;12(1):29-41. [PubMed]
36. Lin Z-C, Effken JA. Design and Evaluation of a web-based, tailored breast cancer education programIn: Proceedings Summer Institute in Nursing InformaticsBaltimore, Maryland: University of Maryland; 2003.
37. Nahm E-S, Resnick B. Development of theory-based, online health learning modules for older adults: Lessons learned CIN Comput Inform Nurs 2003;24(5):261-268. [PubMed] 38. Bond GE. Lessons learned from the implementation of a web-based nursing intervention CIN Comput Inform Nurs 2006;24(2):66-74. [PubMed] 39. Pyper C, Amery J, Watson M, Crook C. Patients' experiences when accessing their on-line electronic patient records in primary care Br J Gen Pract 2004;54:38-43. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 40. Ross SE, Moore LA, Earnest MA, Wittevrongel L. Providing a web-based online medical record with electronic communication capabilities to patients with congestive heart failure: randomized trial J Med Internet Res 2004;6(2):e12. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Honeyman A, Cox B, Fisher B. Potential impacts of patients access to their electronic records Inform Primary Care 2005;13:55-60. [PubMed] 42. Halamka J, Mandl K, Tang P. Early experiences with personal health records J Am Med Inform Assoc 2008;15:1-7. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 43. Nelson R. The personal health record Am J Nurs 2007(107):27-28. [PubMed]
44. Project HealthDesign; Robert wood Johnsonhttp://www.projecthealthdesign.org/ 2007. Accessed: Jul 7, 2008.
45. Moen A, Brennan PF. Health@home: The work of health information management in the household (HIMH): Implications for consumer health informatics (chi) innnovations J Am Med Inform Assoc 2005;12:648-656. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 46. Lauder W, Reel S, Farmer J, Griggs H. Social capital, rural nursing and rural nursing theory Nurs Inq 2006;13(1):73-79. [PubMed]
47. Shea KA. Sociotechnical influences on Telehomecare outcomesdissertationTucson, AZ: The University of Arizona; 2007.
48. Shea K, Effken JA. Enhancing patients' trust in the virtual home health nurse CIN Comput Inform Nurs 2008;26:135-141. [PubMed] 49. Helitzer D, Heath D, Maltrud K, Sullivan E, Alverson D. Assessing or predicting adoption of telehealth using the diffusion of innovations theory: A practical example from a rural program in New Mexico Telemed J E-Health 2003;9:179-187. [PubMed] 50. Hospital HealthNurses find new calling in information technology Networks April 2007;16:18. [PubMed] 51. Richards H, King G, Reid M, et al. Remote working: Survey of attitudes to eHealth of doctors and nurses in rural general practices in the United Kingdom Fam Pract 2005;22:2-7. [PubMed]
52. Health Resources and Services Administration [HRSA] The Registered Nurse Population: Findings from the 2004 National Sample Survey of Registered Nurseshttp://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/rnsurvey04/footnotes.htm 2005. Accessed: Jul 20, 2007.
53. TIGER Technology informatics guiding educational reformhttp://www.umbc.edu/tiger/index.html 2005. Accessed: Mar 30, 2008.
54. Stonier T. The wealth of informationLondon, England: Thames-Mathuen; 1987.
55. McBride AB. Nursing and the informatics revolution Nurs Outlook 2005;53:183-191. [PubMed] 56. Cato J, Abbott P. Collaborating for a cause Stud Health Technol Inform 2006;122:1014-1015. [PubMed]