1. Anderson, B. L., and S. Cu-Uvin. 2008. Determinants of HIV shedding in the lower genital tract of women. Curr. Infect. Dis. Rep. 10:505-511. [PubMed] 2. Angel, J. B., Y. Khaliq, M. L. Monpetit, D. W. Cameron, and K. Gallicano. 2001. An argument for routine therapeutic drug monitoring of HIV-1 protease inhibitors during pregnancy. AIDS 15:417-419. [PubMed] 3. Anonymous. 2008. Public Health Service Task Force recommendations for use of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant HIV-infected women for maternal health and interventions to reduce perinatal HIV transmission in the United States. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC. http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/PerinatalGL.pdf. 4. Bardeguez, A. D., J. C. Lindsey, M. Shannon, R. E. Tuomala, S. E. Cohn, E. Smith, A. Stek, S. Buschur, A. Cotter, L. Bettica, and J. S. Read. 2008. Adherence to antiretrovirals among US women during and after pregnancy. J. Acquired Immune Defic. Syndr. 48:408-417. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 5. Bhadrakom, C., R. J. Simonds, J. V. Mei, S. Asavapiriyanont, V. Sangtaweesin, N. Vanprapar, K. H. Moore, N. L. Young, W. H. Hannon, T. D. Mastro, N. Shaffer, et al. 2000. Oral zidovudine during labor to prevent perinatal HIV transmission, Bangkok: tolerance and zidovudine concentration in cord blood. AIDS. 14:509-516. [PubMed]
6. Bonora, S., D. Gonzalez de Requena, E. Chiesa, A. Maccabruni, M. Forleo, F. Vichi, S. Fiore, T. Bini, E. Ferrazzi, A. d'Arminio Monforte, and TARGET Study Group. 2007. Transplacental passage of tenofovir and other antiretrovirals at delivery, abstr. 738a. 14th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Los Angeles, CA, 25 to 28 February 2007.
7. Bryson, Y., A. Stek, M. Mirochnick, L. Mofenson, J. Connor, H. Watts, S. Huang, M. Hughes, B. Cunningham, L. Purdue, Y. Asfaw, E. Smith, and for the PACTG 353 Team. 2000. Pharmacokinetics, antiviral activity, and safety of nelfinavir with ZDV/3TC in pregnant HIV-infected women and their infants: PACTG 353 cohort 2, abstr. 715. 7th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., San Francisco, CA, 30 January to 4 February 2000.
8. Burchett, S. K., B. Best, M. Mirochnick, C. Hu, E. Capparelli, D. Holland, E. Smith, B. Sheeran, J. S. Read, A. Stek, and PACTG 1026s Study Team. 2007. Tenofovir pharmacokinetics during pregnancy, at delivery, and postpartum, abstr. 738b. 14th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Los Angeles, CA, 25 to 28 February 2007.
9. Burney, K. D., K. Krishnan, M. T. Ruffin, D. Zhang, and D. E. Brenner. 1996. Adherence to single daily dose of aspirin in a chemoprevention trial. An evaluation of self-report and microelectronic monitoring. Arch. Fam. Med. 5:297-300. [PubMed] 10. Chappuy, H., J. M. Treluyer, V. Jullien, J. Dimet, E. Rey, M. Fouche, G. Firtion, G. Pons, and L. Mandelbrot. 2004. Maternal-fetal transfer and amniotic fluid accumulation of nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors in human immunodeficiency virus-infected pregnant women. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 48:4332-4336. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 11. Chappuy, H., J. M. Treluyer, E. Rey, J. Dimet, M. Fouche, G. Firtion, G. Pons, and L. Mandelbrot. 2004. Maternal-fetal transfer and amniotic fluid accumulation of protease inhibitors in pregnant women who are infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 191:558-562. [PubMed] 12. Chen, Y. C., S. K. Gotzkowsky, A. N. Nafziger, R. W. Kulawy, M. L. Rocci, Jr., J. S. Bertino, Jr., and A. D. Kashuba. 2006. Poor correlation between 6β-hydroxycortisol:cortisol molar ratios and midazolam clearance as measure of hepatic CYP3A activity. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 62:187-195. [PubMed] 13. Chen, Z., L. A. Dunning, K. E. Anderson, J. L. Holtzman, and W. Zheng. 2004. Within-person variability of urinary 6β-hydroxycortisol to urinaryl ratios in Caucasian women. Steroids 69:67-70. [PubMed] 14. Cohen, M. S., C. Gay, A. D. Kashuba, S. Blower, and L. Paxton. 2007. Narrative review: antiretroviral therapy to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV-1. Ann. Intern. Med. 146:591-601. [PubMed] 15. Connor, E. M., R. S. Sperling, R. Gelber, P. Kiselev, G. Scott, M. J. O'Sullivan, R. VanDyke, M. Bey, W. Shearer, R. L. Jacobson, et al. 1994. Reduction of maternal-infant transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with zidovudine treatment. N. Engl. J. Med. 331:1173-1180. [PubMed] 16. Cooper, E. R., M. Charurat, L. Mofenson, I. C. Hanson, J. Pitt, C. Diaz, K. Hayani, E. Handelsman, V. Smeriglio, R. Hoff, and W. Blattner. 2002. Combination antiretroviral strategies for the treatment of pregnant HIV-1-infected women and prevention of perinatal HIV-1 transmission. J. Acquired Immune Defic. Syndr. 29:484-494. [PubMed] 17. Droste, J. A., R. E. Aarnoutse, P. P. Koopmans, Y. A. Hekster, and D. M. Burger. 2003. Evaluation of antiretroviral drug measurements by an interlaboratory quality control program. J. Acquired Immune Defic. Syndr. 32:287-291. [PubMed] 18. Dumond, J. B., R. F. Yeh, K. B. Patterson, A. H. Corbett, B. H. Jung, N. L. Rezk, A. S. Bridges, P. W. Stewart, M. S. Cohen, and A. D. Kashuba. 2007. Antiretroviral drug exposure in the female genital tract: implications for oral pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis. AIDS 21:1899-1907. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 19. Hodge, L. S., and T. S. Tracy. 2007. Alterations in drug disposition during pregnancy: implications for drug therapy. Expert Opin. Drug Metab. Toxicol. 3:557-571. [PubMed] 20. Holland, D. T., R. DiFrancesco, J. D. Connor, and G. D. Morse. 2006. Quality assurance program for pharmacokinetic assay of antiretrovirals. ACTG proficiency testing for pediatric and adult pharmacology support laboratories, 2003 to 2004: a requirement for therapeutic drug monitoring. Ther. Drug Monit. 28:367-374. [PubMed] 21. Iversen, A. K., J. Attermann, J. Gerstoft, L. Fugger, J. I. Mullins, and P. Skinhoj. 2004. Longitudinal and cross-sectional studies of HIV-1 RNA and DNA loads in blood and the female genital tract. Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 117:227-235. [PubMed] 22. Jung, B. H., N. L. Rezk, A. S. Bridges, A. H. Corbett, and A. D. Kashuba. 2007. Simultaneous determination of 17 antiretroviral drugs in human plasma for quantitative analysis with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Biomed. Chromatogr. 21:1095-1104. [PubMed]
23. Khuong-Josses, M., A. Boussairi, M. Herida, S. Abbas, and D. Mechali. 2006. Nelfinavir plasma concentrations in 40 pregnant women, abstr. 707. 13th Confer. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Denver, CO, 5 to 8 February 2006.
24. Kiser, J. J., M. L. Carten, C. L. Aquilante, P. L. Anderson, P. Wolfe, T. M. King, T. Delahunty, L. R. Bushman, and C. V. Fletcher. 2008. The effect of lopinavir/ritonavir on the renal clearance of tenofovir in HIV-infected patients. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 83:265-272. [PubMed] 25. Kosel, B. W., K. P. Beckerman, S. Hayashi, M. Homma, and F. T. Aweeka. 2003. Pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir and indinavir in HIV-1-infected pregnant women. AIDS 17:1195-1199. [PubMed] 26. Kourtis, A. P., F. K. Lee, E. J. Abrams, D. J. Jamieson, and M. Bulterys. 2006. Mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1: timing and implications for prevention. Lancet Infect. Dis. 6:726-732. [PubMed] 27. Liu, H., C. E. Golin, L. G. Miller, R. D. Hays, C. K. Beck, S. Sanandaji, J. Christian, T. Maldonado, D. Duran, A. H. Kaplan, and N. S. Wenger. 2001. A comparison study of multiple measures of adherence to HIV protease inhibitors. Ann. Intern. Med. 134:968-977. [PubMed] 28. Liu, H., L. G. Miller, R. D. Hays, G. Wagner, C. E. Golin, W. Hu, K. Kahn, R. Haubrich, A. H. Kaplan, and N. S. Wenger. 2006. A practical method to calibrate self-reported adherence to antiretroviral therapy. J. Acquired Immune Defic. Syndr. 43(Suppl. 1):S104-S112. [PubMed] 29. Maggiolo, F., L. Ravasio, D. Ripamonti, G. Gregis, G. Quinzan, C. Arici, M. Airoldi, and F. Suter. 2005. Similar adherence rates favor different virologic outcomes for patients treated with nonnucleoside analogues or protease inhibitors. Clin. Infect. Dis. 40:158-163. [PubMed] 30. Mandelbrot, L., G. Peytavin, G. Firtion, and R. Farinotti. 2001. Maternal-fetal transfer and amniotic fluid accumulation of lamivudine in human immunodeficiency virus-infected pregnant women. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 184:153-158. [PubMed]
31. Martelli, S., K. Long, S. Berdot, P. Faucher, F. Damond, A. Bourgeois-Moine, A. Devidas, J. L. Delassus, S. Matheron, and G. Peytavin. 2007. Placental transfer of tenofovir in HIV-infected women treated with, T. D. F., and protease inhibitors containing regimen, poster P14.7/01. 11th Eur. AIDS Conf., Madrid, Spain, 24 to 27 October 2007.
32. Marzolini, C., C. Rudin, L. A. Decosterd, A. Telenti, A. Schreyer, J. Biollaz, and T. Buclin. 2002. Transplacental passage of protease inhibitors at delivery. AIDS 16:889-893. [PubMed] 33. Mason, B. J., J. R. Matsuyama, and S. G. Jue. 1995. Assessment of sulfonylurea adherence and metabolic control. Diabetes Educ. 21:52-57. [PubMed] 34. Min, S. S., A. H. Corbett, N. Rezk, S. Cu-Uvin, S. A. Fiscus, L. Petch, M. S. Cohen, and A. D. Kashuba. 2004. Protease inhibitor and nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor concentrations in the genital tract of HIV-1-infected women. J. Acquired Immune Defic. Syndr. 37:1577-1580. [PubMed] 35. Mirochnick, M., A. Dorenbaum, D. Holland, B. Cunningham-Schrader, C. Cunningham, R. Gelber, L. Mofenson, M. Culnane, J. Connor, and J. L. Sullivan. 2002. Concentrations of protease inhibitors in cord blood after in utero exposure. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 21:835-838. [PubMed]
36. Mirochnick, M., A. Stek, E. Capparelli, B. M. Best, D. Holland, J. Connor, S. K. Burchett, C. Hu, E. Smith, J. S. Read, and PACTG 1026s Study Team. 2006. Adequate lopinavir (LPV) exposure achieved with a higher dose during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, poster 710. 13th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Denver, CO.
37. Molina, J. M., T. J. Podsadecki, M. A. Johnson, A. Wilkin, P. Domingo, R. Myers, J. M. Hairrell, R. A. Rode, M. S. King, and G. J. Hanna. 2007. A lopinavir/ritonavir-based once-daily regimen results in better compliance and is non-inferior to a twice-daily regimen through 96 weeks. AIDS Res. Hum. Retrovir. 23:1505-1514. [PubMed] 38. Moodley, J., D. Moodley, K. Pillay, H. Coovadia, J. Saba, R. van Leeuwen, C. Goodwin, P. R. Harrigan, K. H. Moore, C. Stone, R. Plumb, and M. A. Johnson. 1998. Pharmacokinetics and antiretroviral activity of lamivudine alone or when coadministered with zidovudine in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected pregnant women and their offspring. J. Infect. Dis. 178:1327-1333. [PubMed] 39. Nettles, R. E., T. L. Kieffer, T. Parsons, J. Johnson, J. Cofrancesco, Jr., J. E. Gallant, K. A. Carson, R. F. Siliciano, and C. Flexner. 2006. Marked intraindividual variability in antiretroviral concentrations may limit the utility of therapeutic drug monitoring. Clin. Infect. Dis. 42:1189-1196. [PubMed] 40. Ohkita, C., and M. Goto. 1990. Increased 6-hydroxycortisol excretion in pregnant women: implication of drug-metabolizing enzyme induction. DICP 24:814-816. [PubMed] 41. Parkin, N. T., N. S. Hellmann, J. M. Whitcomb, L. Kiss, C. Chappey, and C. J. Petropoulos. 2004. Natural variation of drug susceptibility in wild-type human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 48:437-443. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Ray, A. S., T. Cihlar, K. L. Robinson, L. Tong, J. E. Vela, M. D. Fuller, L. M. Wieman, E. J. Eisenberg, and G. R. Rhodes. 2006. Mechanism of active renal tubular efflux of tenofovir. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 50:3297-3304. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
43. Read, J. S., B. Best, A. Stek, C. Hu, E. Capparelli, D. Holland, S. K. Burchett, E. Smith, B. Sheeran, and M. Mirochnick. 2007. Nelfinavir pharmacokinetics (625-mg tablets) during the third trimester of pregnancy and post-partum, abstr. 740. 14th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Los Angeles, CA, 25 to 28 February 2007.
44. Reddy, Y. S., S. K. Gotzkowsky, J. J. Eron, J. Y. Kim, W. D. Fiske, S. A. Fiscus, L. Petch, M. S. Cohen, and A. D. Kashuba. 2002. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic investigation of efavirenz in the semen and blood of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected men. J. Infect. Dis. 186:1339-1343. [PubMed] 45. Rezk, N. L., R. D. Crutchley, and A. D. Kashuba. 2005. Simultaneous quantification of emtricitabine and tenofovir in human plasma using high-performance liquid chromatography after solid phase extraction. J. Chromatogr. B 822:201-208. [PubMed] 46. Rezk, N. L., R. D. Crutchley, R. F. Yeh, and A. D. Kashuba. 2006. Full validation of an analytical method for the HIV-protease inhibitor atazanavir in combination with 8 other antiretroviral agents and its applicability to therapeutic drug monitoring. Ther. Drug Monit. 28:517-525. [PubMed] 47. Rezk, N. L., R. R. Tidwell, and A. D. Kashuba. 2003. Simultaneous determination of six HIV nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors and nevirapine by liquid chromatography with ultraviolet absorbance detection. J. Chromatogr. B 791:137-147. [PubMed]
48. Rodman, J., P. Flynn, D. Shapiro, A. Bardeguez, S. Huang, S. Fiscus, K. VanRompey, J. F. Rooney, L. Mofenson, H. Watts, P. Jean-Phillipe, and PACTG 394 Protocol Team. 2006. Pharmacokinetics (PK) and safety of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) in HIV-1 infected pregnant women and their infants, abstr. 708. 13th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunisitic Infect., Denver, CO, 5 to 8 February 2006.
49. Si-Mohamed, A., M. D. Kazatchkine, I. Heard, C. Goujon, T. Prazuck, G. Aymard, G. Cessot, Y. H. Kuo, M. C. Bernard, B. Diquet, J. E. Malkin, L. Gutmann, and L. Belec. 2000. Selection of drug-resistant variants in the female genital tract of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected women receiving antiretroviral therapy. J. Infect. Dis. 182:112-122. [PubMed] 50. Stek, A. M., M. Mirochnick, E. Capparelli, B. M. Best, C. Hu, S. K. Burchett, C. Elgie, D. T. Holland, E. Smith, R. Tuomala, A. Cotter, and J. S. Read. 2006. Reduced lopinavir exposure during pregnancy. AIDS 20:1931-1939. [PubMed] 51. Streetman, D. S., J. S. Bertino, Jr., and A. N. Nafziger. 2000. Phenotyping of drug-metabolizing enzymes in adults: a review of in-vivo cytochrome P450 phenotyping probes. Pharmacogenetics 10:187-216. [PubMed] 52. Syme, M. R., J. W. Paxton, and J. A. Keelan. 2004. Drug transfer and metabolism by the human placenta. Clin. Pharmacokinet. 43:487-514. [PubMed] 53. Tracy, T. S., R. Venkataramanan, D. D. Glover, and S. N. Caritis. 2005. Temporal changes in drug metabolism (CYP1A2, CYP2D6 and CYP3A Activity) during pregnancy. Am. J. Obstet Gynecol. 192:633-639. [PubMed] 54. Tuomala, R. E., P. T. O'Driscoll, J. W. Bremer, C. Jennings, C. Xu, J. S. Read, E. Matzen, A. Landay, C. Zorrilla, W. Blattner, M. Charurat, and D. J. Anderson. 2003. Cell-associated genital tract virus and vertical transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in antiretroviral-experienced women. J. Infect. Dis. 187:375-384. [PubMed] 55. van Heeswijk, R. P., Y. Khaliq, K. D. Gallicano, M. Bourbeau, I. Seguin, E. J. Phillips, and D. W. Cameron. 2004. The pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir and M8 during pregnancy and post partum. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 76:588-597. [PubMed] 56. Villani, P., M. Floridia, M. F. Pirillo, M. Cusato, E. Tamburrini, A. F. Cavaliere, G. Guaraldi, C. Vanzini, A. Molinari, A. Degli Antoni, and M. Regazzi. 2006. Pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir in HIV-1-infected pregnant and nonpregnant women. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 62:309-315. [PubMed]
57. Vourvahis, M., H. Tappouni, K. Patterson, Y. Chen, N. L. Rezk, S. Fiscus, B. P. Kearney, J. F. Rooney, M. Cohen, and A. D. M. Kashuba. 2006. A pharmacologic basis for the use of tenofovir In pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis: Intra and extracellular genital tract pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics from first dose to steady state in HIV-1 infected men and women, poster 569. 13th Conf. Retrovir. Opportunistic Infect., Denver, CO, 5 to 8 February 2006.
58. Walmsley, S., B. Bernstein, M. King, J. Arribas, G. Beall, P. Ruane, M. Johnson, D. Johnson, R. Lalonde, A. Japour, S. Brun, and E. Sun. 2002. Lopinavir-ritonavir versus nelfinavir for the initial treatment of HIV infection. N. Engl. J. Med. 346:2039-2046. [PubMed] 59. Watts, D. H., Z. A. Brown, T. Tartaglione, S. K. Burchett, K. Opheim, R. Coombs, and L. Corey. 1991. Pharmacokinetic disposition of zidovudine during pregnancy. J. Infect. Dis. 163:226-232. [PubMed] 60. Weiss, J., D. Theile, N. Ketabi-Kiyanvash, H. Lindenmaier, and W. E. Haefeli. 2007. Inhibition of MRP1/ABCC1, MRP2/ABCC2, and MRP3/ABCC3 by nucleoside, nucleotide, and nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. Drug Metab. Dispos. 35:340-344. [PubMed] 61. Yasui-Furukori, N., T. Kondo, T. Kubota, H. Otake, T. Ohkubo, T. Nagasaki, K. Sugawara, K. Chiba, K. Otani, and S. Kaneko. 2001. No correlations between the urinary ratio of 6β-hydroxycortisol to free cortisol and pharmacokinetics of alprazolam. Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 57:285-288. [PubMed]
62. Yeh, R. F., K. B. Patterson, J. B. Dumond, H. L. Tappouni, Y. Chen, M. Vourvahis, K. A. Boggess, A. L. Horton, S. A. Fiscus, and A. D. M. Kashuba. 2006. Abstr. 46th Intersci. Conf. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., abstr. A-378.