1. Glaze LE, Bonczar TP. Probation and Parole in the United States, 2005. Washington, DC: Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2006. Dept of Justice publication NCJ 215091.
2. Jensen EL, Gerber J, Mosher C. Social consequences of the War on Drugs: the legacy of failed policy. Criminal Justice Policy Review. 2004;15(1):100–121.
3. Karberg JC, James DJ. Substance Dependence, Abuse, and Treatment of Jail Inmates, 2002. Washington, DC: Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2005. Dept of Justice publication NCJ 209588.
4. Mumola CJ, Karberg JC. Drug Use and Dependence, State and Federal Prisoners, 2004. Washington, DC: Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2006. Dept of Justice publication NCJ 213530.
5. Weinbaum CM, Sabin KM, Santibanez SS. Hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV in correctional populations: a review of epidemiology and prevention. AIDS. 2005;19(suppl 3):S41–S46. [PubMed] 6. Abram KM, Teplin LA. Co-occurring disorders among mentally ill jail detainees: implications for public policy. Am Psychol. 1991;46(10):1036–1045. [PubMed] 7. Chandler RK, Peters RH, Field G, Juliano-Bult D. Challenges in implementing evidence-based treatment practices for co-occurring disorders in the criminal justice system. Behav Sci Law. 2004;22(4):431–448. [PubMed]
8. Knight K, Farabee D, editors. Treating Addicted Offenders: A Continuum of Effective Practices. Kingston, NJ: Civic Research Institute; 2004.
9. Langan PA, Levin DJ. Recidivism of Prisoners Released in 1994. Washington, DC: Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2002. Dept of Justice publication NCJ 193427.
10. Simpler AH, Langhinrichsen-Rohling J. Substance use in prison: how much occurs and is it associated with psychopathology? Addict Res Theory. 2005;13(5):503–511.
11. Field G. Continuity of offender treatment: from the institution to the community. In: Knight K, Farabee D, editors. Treating Addicted Offenders: A Continuum of Effective Practices. Kingston, NJ: Civic Research Institute; 2004. pp. 33-1–33-9.
12. Shivy VA, Wu JJ, Moon AE, Mann SC, Holland JG, Eacho C. Ex-offenders reentering the workforce. J Couns Psychol. 2007;54(4):466–473.
13. Volkow ND, Wang GJ, Telang F, et al. Cocaine cues and dopamine in dorsal striatum: mechanism of craving in cocaine addiction. J Neurosci. 2006;26(24):6583–6588. [PubMed] 14. Nestler EJ. Review: transcriptional mechanisms of addiction: role of Delta FosB. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363(1507):3245–3255. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 15. Grimm JW, Hope BT, Wise RA, Shaham Y. Neuroadaptation: incubation of cocaine craving after withdrawal. Nature. 2001;412(6843):141–142. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
16. Inciardi JA, Martin SS, Butzin CA, Hooper RM, Harrison LD. An effective model of prison-based treatment for drug-involved offenders. J Drug Issues. 1997;27(2):261–278.
17. Pearson FS, Lipton DS. A meta-analytic review of the effectiveness of corrections-based treatments for drug abuse. Prison J. 1999;79(4):384–410.
18. Leukefeld CG, Tims F, Farabee D, editors. Treatment of Drug Offenders: Policies and Issues. New York, NY: Springer; 2002.
19. Wormith JS, Althouse R, Simpson M, Reitzel LR, Fagan TJ, Morgan RD. The rehabilitation and reintegration of offenders—the current landscape and some future directions for correctional psychology. Crim Justice Behav. 2007;34(7):879–892.
20. Prendergast ML, Podus D, Chang E, Urada D. The effectiveness of drug abuse treatment: a meta-analysis of comparison group studies. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2002;67(1):53–72. [PubMed]
21. De Leon G. Therapeutic communities: is there an essential model? In: De Leon G, editor. Community as Method: Therapeutic Communities for Special Populations and Special Settings. Westport, CT: Praeger; 1997. pp. 3–18.
22. Volkow ND, Li TK. Drugs and alcohol: treating and preventing abuse, addiction and their medical consequences. Pharmacol Ther. 2005;108(1):3–17. [PubMed] 23. Johnson BA, Rosenthal N, Capece JA, et al. Topiramate for Alcoholism Advisory Board; Topiramate for Alcoholism Study Group. Topiramate for treating alcohol dependence: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2007;298(14):1641–1651. [PubMed] 24. Cropsey KL, Villalobos GC, St Clair CL. Pharmacotherapy treatment in substance-dependent correctional populations: a review. Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40(13–14):1983–1999. [PubMed] 25. Humphreys K, Wing S, McCarty D, et al. Self-help organizations for alcohol and drug problems: toward evidence-based practice and policy. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2004;26(3):151–158. [PubMed]
26. Lurigio AJ. Drug treatment availability and effectiveness—studies of the general and criminal justice populations. Crim Justice Behav. 2000;27(4):495–528.
27. Mitchell O, Wilson DB, MacKenzie DL. Does incarceration-based drug treatment reduce recidivism? a meta-analytic synthesis of the research. J Exp Criminol. 2007;3(4):353–375.
28. Peters RH, Murrin MR. Effectiveness of treatment-based drug courts in reducing recidivism. Crim Justice Behav. 2000;27(1):72–96.
29. Butzin CA, O’Connell DJ, Martin SS, Inciardi JA. Effect of drug treatment during work release on new arrests and incarcerations. J Crim Justice. 2006;34(5):557–565.
30. Martin SS, Butzin CA, Saum CA, Inciardi JA. Three-year outcomes of therapeutic community treatment for drug-involved offenders in Delaware: from prison to work release to aftercare. Prison J. 1999;79(3):294–320.
31. Gordon MS, Kinlock TW, Schwartz RP, O’Grady KE. A randomized clinical trial of methadone maintenance for prisoners: findings at 6 months post-release. Addiction. 2008;103(8):1333–1342. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Kinlock TW, Gordon MS, Schwartz RP, O’Grady KE. A study of methadone maintenance for male prisoners. Crim Justice Behav. 2008;35(1):34–47. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Kinlock TW, Gordon MS, Schwartz RP, O’Grady K, Fitzgerald TT, Wilson M. A randomized clinical trial of methadone maintenance for prisoners: results at 1-month post-release. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007;91(2–3):220–227. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 34. Rich JD, Boutwell AE, Shield DC, et al. Attitudes and practices regarding the use of methadone in US state and federal prisons. J Urban Health. 2005;82(3):411–419. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
35. McCollister KE, French MT, Prendergast ML, Hall E, Sacks S. Long-term cost effectiveness of addiction treatment for criminal offenders. Justice Q. 2004;21(3):659–679.
36. Stephan JJ. State Prison Expenditures, 2001. Washington, DC: Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2004. Dept of Justice publication NCJ 202949.
37. Rich JD, McKenzie M, Shield DC, et al. Linkage with methadone treatment upon release from incarceration: a promising opportunity. J Addict Dis. 2005;24(3):49–59. [PubMed]
38. Logan TK, Hoyt WH, McCollister KE, French MT, Leukefeld C, Minton L. Economic evaluation of drug court: methodology, results, and policy implications. Eval Program Plann. 2004;27(4):381–396.
39. Daley M, Love CT, Shepard DS, Petersen CB, White KL, Hall FB. Cost-effectiveness of Connecticut’s in-prison substance abuse treatment. J Offender Rehabil. 2004;39(3):69–92.
40. Flynn PM, Kristiansen PL, Porto JV, Hubbard RL. Costs and benefits of treatment for cocaine addiction in DATOS. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999;57(2):167–174. [PubMed] 41. Zarkin GA, Dunlap LJ, Hicks KA, Mamo D. Benefits and costs of methadone treatment: results from a lifetime simulation model. Health Econ. 2005;14(11):1133–1150. [PubMed] 42. Taxman FS, Perdoni ML, Harrison LD. Drug treatment services for adult offenders: the state of the state. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007;32(3):239–254. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
43. Hammett TM, Roberts C, Kennedy S. Health-related issues in prisoner reentry. Crime Delinq. 2001;47(3):390–409.
44. Binswanger IA, Stern MF, Deyo RA, et al. Release from prison—a high risk of death for former inmates [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2007;356(5):536] N Engl J Med. 2007;356(2):157–165. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 45. Boutwell AE, Allen SA, Rich JD. Opportunities to address the hepatitis C epidemic in the correctional setting. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40(suppl 5):S367–S372. [PubMed] 46. Zaller N, Thurmond P, Rich JD. Limited spending: an analysis of correctional expenditures on anti-retrovirals for HIV-infected prisoners. Public Health Rep. 2007;122(1):49–54. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 47. Desai AA, Latta ET, Spaulding A, Rich JD, Flanigan TP. The importance of routine HIV testing in the incarcerated population: the Rhode Island experience. AIDS Educ Prev. 2002;14(5 suppl B):45–52. [PubMed] 48. Sabin KM, Frey RL, Jr, Horsley R, Greby SM. Characteristics and trends of newly identified HIV infections among incarcerated populations: CDC HIV voluntary counseling testing and referral system 1992–1998. J Urban Health. 2001;78(2):241–255. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 49. Allen SA, Spaulding AC, Osei AM, Taylor LE, Cabral AM, Rich JD. Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in a state correctional facility. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138(3):187–190. [PubMed] 50. Vallabhaneni S, Macalino GE, Reinert SE, Schwartzapfel B, Wolf FA, Rich JD. Prisoners favour hepatitis C testing and treatment. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134(2):243–248. [PubMed] 51. Rich JD, Holmes L, Salas C, et al. Successful linkage of medical care and community services for HIV-positive offenders being released from prison. J Urban Health. 2001;78(2):279–289. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 52. Springer SA, Pesanti E, Hodges J, Macura T, Doros G, Altice FL. Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected prisoners: reincarceration and the lack of sustained benefit after release to the community. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38(12):1754–1760. [PubMed] 53. Freudenberg N. Jails, prisons, and the health of urban populations: a review of the impact of the correctional system on community health. J Urban Health. 2001;78(2):214–235. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 54. Uhl GR, Grow RW. The burden of complex genetics in brain disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004;61(3):223–229. [PubMed] 55. Volkow N, Li TK. The neuroscience of addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8(11):1429–1430. [PubMed] 56. Uhl GR. Molecular genetic underpinnings of human substance abuse vulnerability: likely contributions to understanding addiction as a mnemonic process. Neuropharmacology. 2004;47(suppl 1):140–147. [PubMed] 57. Volkow ND, Fowler JS, Wang GJ. The addicted human brain: insights from imaging studies. J Clin Invest. 2003;111(10):1444–1451. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 58. Koob GF, Le Moal M. Plasticity of reward neurocircuitry and the “dark side” of drug addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8(11):1442–1444. [PubMed] 59. Naqvi NH, Rudrauf D, Damasio H, Bechara A. Damage to the insula disrupts addiction to cigarette smoking. Science. 2007;315(5811):531–534. [PubMed] 60. Hester R, Garavan H. Executive dysfunction in cocaine addiction: evidence for discordant frontal, cingulate, and cerebellar activity. J Neurosci. 2004;24(49):11017–11022. [PubMed] 61. Fellows LK. The role of orbitofrontal cortex in decision making: a component process account. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1121:421–430. [PubMed] 62. Kalivas PW, Volkow ND. The neural basis of addiction: a pathology of motivation and choice. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162(8):1403–1413. [PubMed] 63. Everitt BJ, Robbins TW. Neural systems of reinforcement for drug addiction: from actions to habits to compulsion. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8(11):1481–1489. [PubMed] 64. Gray MA, Critchley HD. Interoceptive basis to craving. Neuron. 2007;54(2):183–186. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 65. Kosten TR, Markou A, Koob GF. Depression and stimulant dependence: neurobiology and pharmacotherapy. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1998;186(12):737–745. [PubMed] 66. Koob GF, Le Moal M. Drug abuse: hedonic homeostatic dysregulation. Science. 1997;278(5335):52–58. [PubMed] 67. Winstanley CA. The orbitofrontal cortex, impulsivity, and addiction: probing orbitofrontal dysfunction at the neural, neurochemical, and molecular level. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1121:639–655. [PubMed] 68. Yücel M, Lubman DI, Solowij N, Brewer WJ. Understanding drug addiction: a neuropsychological perspective. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2007;41(12):957–968. [PubMed] 69. Bickel WK, Miller ML, Yi R, Kowal BP, Lindquist DM, Pitcock JA. Behavioral and neuroeconomics of drug addiction: competing neural systems and temporal discounting processes. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007;90(suppl 1):S85–S91. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 70. Madden GJ, Petry NM, Badger GJ, Bickel WK. Impulsive and self-control choices in opioid-dependent patients and non-drug-using control participants: drug and monetary rewards. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 1997;5(3):256–262. [PubMed] 71. Shaham Y, Hope BT. The role of neuroadaptations in relapse to drug seeking. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8(11):1437–1439. [PubMed] 72. Baler RD, Volkow ND. Drug addiction: the neurobiology of disrupted self-control. Trends Mol Med. 2006;12(12):559–566. [PubMed] 73. Ersche KD, Sahakian BJ. The neuropsychology of amphetamine and opiate dependence: implications for treatment. Neuropsychol Rev. 2007;17(3):317–336. [PubMed] 74. Kosten TR. Addiction as a brain disease. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155(6):711–713. [PubMed]
75. Fletcher BW, Chandler RK. Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations. Washington, DC: National Institute on Drug Abuse; 2006. NIH publication 06–5316.
76. Wilson DB, Bouffard LA, Mackenzie DL. A quantitative review of structured, group-oriented, cognitive-behavioral programs for offenders. Crim Justice Behav. 2005;32(2):172–204.
77. Gostin LO. Biomedical research involving prisoners: ethical values and legal regulation. JAMA. 2007;297(7):737–740. [PubMed]
78. Wexler HK, Fletcher BW. National Criminal Justice Drug Abuse Treatment Studies (CJ-DATS) overview. Prison J. 2007;87(1):9–24.
79. Comer SD, Collins ED, Kleber HD, Nuwayser ES, Kerrigan JH, Fischman MW. Depot naltrexone: long-lasting antagonism of the effects of heroin in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2002;159(4):351–360. [PubMed] 80. Comer SD, Sullivan MA, Yu E, et al. Injectable, sustained-release naltrexone for the treatment of opioid dependence: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006;63(2):210–218. [PubMed] 81. Dackis C, O’Brien C. Neurobiology of addiction: treatment and public policy ramifications. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8(11):1431–1436. [PubMed]