1. Anderson M, Kaufman J, Simon TR, et al. School-associated violent deaths in the United States, 1994-1998. JAMA. 2001;286:2695–2702. [PubMed] 2. Rosenberg ML, O’Carroll PW, Powell KE. Let’s be clear: violence is a public health problem. JAMA. 1992;267:3071–3072. [PubMed] 3. Christoffel KK. Violent death and injury in US children and adolescents. Am J Dis Child. 1990;144(6):697–706. [PubMed] 4. Hammond WR, Yung B. Psychology’s role in the public health response to assaultive violence among young African American men. Am Psychol. 1993;48(2):142–154. [PubMed]
5. Kann L, Kinchen SA, Williams BI, et al. CDC. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance-U.S. 1999. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2000. pp. 1–96.
6. DuRant RH, Krowchuk DP, Kreiter S, et al. Weapon carrying on school property among middle school students. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;155(1):21–26. [PubMed]
7. Kann L, Kinchen SA, Williams BI, et al. CDC. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance-U.S. 1997. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 1998. pp. 15–76.
8. Ellickson P, Saner H, McGuigan KH. A profile of violent youth: substance use and other concurrent problems. Am J Public Health. 1997;87(6):985–991. [PubMed] 9. Simon TR, Crosby AE, Dahlberg LL. Students who carry weapons to high school: a comparison with other weapon-carriers. Journal of Adolescent Health. 1999;24(5):340–348. [PubMed]
10. Elliott DS, Huizinga D, Morse B. Self-reported violent offending: a descriptive analysis of juvenile violent offenders and their offending careers. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 1987;(4):472–514.
11. Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986;51(6):1173–1182. [PubMed]
12. Ajzen I. From decisions to actions: a theory of planned behavior. In: Kuhl J, et al., editors. Action-Control: from Cognition to Behavior. 1985. pp. 11–39.
13. Flay BR, Petraitis J. The theory of triadic influence: a new theory of health behavior with implications for preventive interventions. Advances in Medical Sociology. 1994;(4):19–44.
14. Komro KA, Hu FB, Flay BR. A public health perspective on urban adolescents. In: Walberg HJ, Reyes O, Weissberg RP, editors. Issues in Children and Families Lives. Vol. 7. Sage Publications; London: 1997. pp. 253–298.
15. Ajzen I, Fishbein M. Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1980. p. 278.
16. Paetsch JJ, Bertrand LD. The relationship between peers, social, and school factors, and delinquency among youth. J Sch Health. 1997;67(1):27–32. [PubMed]
17. Clark M. Social identity, peer relations, and academic competence of African-American adolescents. Education and Urban Society. 1991;24(1):41–52.
18. Ingersoll S. Pediatric infirmary cuts absentee costs, eases employees’ minds. Hosp Employee Health. 1982;1(4):52–53. [PubMed]
19. Drowns R, Hess K. Juvenile Justice. New York: West Publishing; 1990. pp. 25–55.
20. Bandura A. Social Learning Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall; 1977. p. 247.
21. Kornhauser RR. Social Sources of Delinquency. Chicago: University of Chicago Press; 1978. p. 277.
22. Tolan PH, Guerra NG. What works in reducing adolescent violence: an empirical review of the field. University of Colorado, Boulder: Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence; 1994. p. 91.
23. Tolan PH, Guerra NG, Kendall PC. A developmental-ecological perspective on antisocial behavior in children and adolescents: toward a unified risk and intervention framework. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1995b;63(4):579–584. [PubMed] 24. Tolan PH, Guerra NG, Kendall PC. Introduction to special section: prediction and prevention of antisocial behavior in children and adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1995a;63(4):515–517. [PubMed]
25. Tolan PH, McKay MM. Preventing serious antisocial behavior in inner-city children: an empirical based family intervention program. Family Relations. 1996;45:148–155.
26. Nadel H, Spellman M, Alvarez-Canino T, et al. Am J Prev Med. 1996;12(5):109–119. [PubMed] 27. Krug EG, Brener WD, Dahlberg LL, et al. The impact of elementary school-based violence prevention program on visits to the school nurse. JAMA. 1997;277(20):1605–1611. [PubMed]
28. Roush G, Hall E. Teaching peaceful conflict resolution. Mediation Quarterly. 1993;11(2):185–191.
29. Farrell AD, Meyer AL. The effectiveness of school-based curriculum for reducing violence among urban sixth-grade students. J Soc Behav. 1997;38(2):131–148. [PubMed] 30. Flay BR, Graumlich S, Segawa E, et al. Effects of two prevention programs on high-risk behaviors among African-American youth: a randomized trial. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. In Press. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
31. McArdle JJ. Dynamic of structural equation modeling of repeated multivariate experimental Psychology. 2. New York: Plunum Press; 1988. pp. 561–914.
32. Muthen LK, Muthen BO. Mplus, The comprehensive modeling program for applied researchers. User’s Guide . 1998:165–182.
33. Krull JL, MacKinnon DP. Multilevel mediation modeling in group-based intervention studies. Evaluation Review. 1999;23(4):418–444. [PubMed]
34. Judd CM, Kenny DA. Estimating the Effects of Social Intervention. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1981. pp. 1–239.
35. MacKinnon DP, Warsi G, Dwyer JH. A simulation study of mediated effect measures. Multivariate Behavioral Research. 1995;30(1):41–62. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
36. Elliott DS. Serious violent offenders: onset, developmental course, and termination - the American Society of Criminology 1993 Presidential address. Criminology. 1994;32:1–21.
37. Scheier LM, Botvin GJ, Griffin KW. Preventive intervention effects on developmental progression in drug use: structural equation modeling analyses using longitudinal data. Prev Sci. 2001;2(2):91–112. [PubMed] 38. Dahlberg LL, Potter LB. Youth violence: developmental pathways and prevention challenges. Am J Prevent Med. 2001;20(1S):3–14. [PubMed] 39. Loeber R, Hay D. Key issues in the development of aggression and violence from childhood to early adulthood. Annu Rev Psychol. 1997;48:371–410. [PubMed] 40. Dishion TJ, Andrews DW. Preventing escalation in problem behaviors with high risk young adolescents: immediate and 1-year outcomes. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1995;63(4):538–548. [PubMed]