Papers of special note have been highlighted as:
• of interest
•• of considerable interest
1. Barkley RA, Murphy KR, Fischer M ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 2008. Comprehensive report of results from two large studies of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
2. Barkley RA, Cook EH, Dulcan M, et al. International consensus statement on ADHD. Eur. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry. 2002;11:96–98. [PubMed]
3. Wilens TE, Biederman J, Spencer TJ. Pharmacotherapy of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. CNS Drugs. 1998;9:347–356.
4. Wilens TE, Spencer TJ, Biederman J, et al. A review of the pharmacotherapy of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J. Atten. Disord. 2001;5(4):189–202. [PubMed]
5. Biederman J, Wilens T, Spencer T, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In: Pollack M, Otto M, Rosenbaum J, editors. Challenges in Clinical Practice. NY, USA: The Guilford Press; 1996. pp. 380–407.
6. Wender PH. Pharmacotherapy of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults. J. Clin. Psychol. 1998;59 Suppl. 7:76–79. [PubMed]
7. Prince JB, Wilens TE, Spencer TJ, Biederman J. Pharmacotherapy of ADHD in adults. In: Barkley R, editor. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (3rd Edition): A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 2006. pp. 704–736.
8. McDermott SP. Cognitive therapy of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In: Brown T, editor. Attention Deficit Disorders and Comorbidity in Children, Adolescents, and Adults. DC, USA: American Psychiatric Press; 2000.
9. Nadeau KG. Life management skills for the adult with ADD. In: Nadeau KG, editor. A Comprehensive Guide to Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults: Research, Diagnosis, and Treatment. NY, USA: Brunner/Mazel; 1995. pp. 191–217.
10. Murphy KR. Psychological counseling of adults with ADHD. In: Barkley R, editor. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (3rd Edition): A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 2006. pp. 692–703.
11. Hallowell EM. Psychotherapy of adult attention deficit disorder. In: Nadeau KG, editor. A Comprehensive Guide to Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults: Research, Diagnosis, and Treatment. New York, USA: Brunner/Mazel; 1995. pp. 146–167.
12. Wilens TE, McDermott SP, Biederman J, Abrantes A, Hahesy A, Spencer TJ. Cognitive therapy in the treatment of adults with ADHD: a systematic chart review of 26 cases. J. Cognitive Psychother. Int. Quarterly. 1999;13:215–227.
13. Wiggins D, Singh K, Getz HG, Hutchins DE. Effects of brief group intervention for adults with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J. Ment. Health Couns. 1999;21(1):82–93.
14. Hesslinger B, Tebartz van Elst L, Nyberg E, et al. Psychotherapy of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: a pilot study using a structured skills training program. Eur. Arch. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 2002;252(4):177–184. [PubMed] 15. Stevenson CS, Whitmont S, Bornholt L, Livesey D, Stevenson RJ A cognitive remediation programme for adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Aust. NZ J. Psychiatry. 2002;36:610–616. [PubMed]Report of skills-based group incorporating an individual support person/coach.
16. Stevenson CS, Stevenson RJ, Whitmont S. A self-directed psychosocial intervention with minimal therapist contact for adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Clin. Psychol. Psychother. 2003;10:93–101.
17. Philipsen A, Richter H, Peters J, et al. Structured group psychotherapy in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: results of an open multicenter study. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 2007;195(12):1013–1019. [PubMed]Report on largest psychosocial treatment study for adults with ADHD to date.
18. Linehan M. Cognitive–Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 1993.
19. Hesslinger B, Philipsen A, Richter H. Psychotherapy in Adult ADHD: A Workbook. Hogrefe, Germany: Göttingen; 2004.
20. Solanto MV, Marks DJ, Mitchell KJ, Wasserstein J, Kofman MD Development of a new psychosocial treatment for adult ADHD. J. Atten. Disord. 2008;11(6):728–736. [PubMed]Report on metacognitive therapy for adult ADHD. 21. Virta M, Vedenpaa A, Gronroos N, et al. Adults with ADHD benefit from cognitive behaviorally oriented group rehabilitation: a study of 29 participants. J. Atten. Disord. 2008 (Epub ahead of print). [PubMed]
22. Brown TE. Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults. New Haven, CT, USA: Yale University Press; 2005.
23. Zylowska L, Ackerman DL, Tang MH, et al. Mindfulness mediation training in adults and adolescents with ADHD: a feasibility study. J. Atten. Disord. 2008;11(6):737–746. [PubMed] 24. Rostain AL, Ramsay JR. A combined treatment approach for adults with ADHD: results of an open study of 43 patients. J. Atten. Disord. 2006;10:150–159. [PubMed] 25. Safren SA, Otto MW, Sprich S, Winett CL, Wilens TE, Biederman J Cognitive-behavioral therapy for ADHD in medication–treated adults with continued symptoms. Behav. Res. Ther. 2005;43:831–842. [PubMed]Report on randomized controlled trial at Massachusetts General Hospital.
26. Barkley R. ADHD and the Nature of Self-Control. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 1997.
27. Nigg J. What Causes ADHD? Understanding What Goes Wrong and Why. NY, USA: Guilford Press; 2006.
28. NIMH CGI: Clinical Global Impression Scale NIMH. Psychopharmacol. Commun. 1985;21:839–844.
29. Safren SA, Sprich S, Perlman CA, Otto MW. Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program, Client Workbook. NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2005.
30. Safren SA, Perlman CA, Sprich S, Otto MW. Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive Behavioral Treatment Program, Therapist Guide. NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2005.
31. Murphy KR. Psychosocial treatments for ADHD in teens and adults: a practice-friendly review. J. Clin. Psychol. 2005;61:607–619. [PubMed]
32. Favorite B. Coaching for adults with ADHD: the missing link between the desire for change and the achievement of success. ADHD Report. 1995;3:11–12.
33. Goldstein S. Coaching as a treatment for ADHD. J. Atten. Disord. 2005;9:379–381. [PubMed]
34. Ratey NA. Life coaching for adult ADHD. In: Goldstein S, Teeter Ellison A, editors. Clinician’s Guide to Adult ADHD: Assessment and Intervention. CA, USA: Academic Press; 2002.
35. Zwart LM, Kallemyn LM. Peer-based coaching for college students with ADHD and learning disabilities. J. Postsecondary Educ. Disabil. 2001;15:1–15.
36. Swartz SL, Prevatt F, Proctor BE. A coaching intervention for college students with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Psychol. Sch. 2005;42:647–656.
37. Ramsay JR, Rostain AL Psychosocial treatments for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults: current evidence and future directions. Prof. Psychol. Res. Pr. 2007;4:338–346.Review of psychosocial treatments including helpful recommendations for work with adults with ADHD.
38. The MTA Cooperative Group. A 14-month randomized clinical trial of treatment strategies for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 1999;56:1073–1086. [PubMed] 39. The MTA Cooperative Group. Moderators and mediators of treatment response for children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: the multimodal treatment study of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 1999;56:1088–1096. [PubMed] 40. Longmore RJ, Worrell M. Do we need to challenge thoughts in cognitive behavior therapy? Clin. Psychol. Rev. 2007;27:173–187. [PubMed] 41. Eakin L, Minde K, Hechtman L, et al. The marital and family functioning of adults with ADHD and their spouses. J. Atten. Disord. 2004;8:1–10. [PubMed] 42. Murray C, Johnston C. Parenting in mothers with and without attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 2006;115:52–61. [PubMed] 43. Biederman J, Faraone SV, Spencer TJ, Mick E, Monuteaux MC, Aleardi M. Functional impairments in adults with self-reports of diagnosed ADHD: a controlled study of 1001 adults in the community. J. Clin. Psychiatry. 2006;67:524–540. [PubMed] 44. Goossensen MA, van de Glind G, Carpentier PJ, Wijsen RM, van Duin D, Kooij JJ. An intervention program for ADHD in patients with substance use disorders: preliminary results for a field trial. J. Subst. Abuse Treat. 2006;30(3):253–259. [PubMed]