PMCCPMCCPMCC

Search tips
Search criteria 

Advanced

 
Logo of jnmaLink to Publisher's site
 
J Natl Med Assoc. 1995 December; 87(12): 872–876.
PMCID: PMC2607975

Misdiagnosis among older psychiatric patients.

Abstract

The first 13 consecutive referrals to a newly established Geriatric Psychiatry Research Division (GPRD) at a community mental health center (CMHC) in Baltimore, Maryland, were evaluated with the structured clinical interview (SCID) from the third edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Revised (DSM-III-R). Although the referring primary diagnoses were confirmed in 54% of patients (7 of 13), an average of three new diagnoses were made for each patient that had not been considered. Of the remaining six patients, four (67%) patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia were found to have a diagnosis of affective disorder based on the SCID interview (two patients with bipolar disorder, depressed and two patients with schizoaffective disorder, depressed). In the remaining two (33%) patients, one patient had a diagnosis of mixed dementia due to longstanding alcohol abuse with a superimposed primary degenerative dementia of the Alzheimer's type. The remaining patient's initial diagnosis of dementia associated with alcoholism was changed to bipolar disorder, depressed. These results provide support for the hypothesis that older persons with psychiatric illness may have been misdiagnosed at a time of less diagnostic rigor.

Full text

Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (818K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.

Selected References

These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
  • Feighner JP, Robins E, Guze SB, Woodruff RA, Jr, Winokur G, Munoz R. Diagnostic criteria for use in psychiatric research. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1972 Jan;26(1):57–63. [PubMed]
  • Endicott J, Spitzer RL. A diagnostic interview: the schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1978 Jul;35(7):837–844. [PubMed]
  • Grove WM, Andreasen NC, McDonald-Scott P, Keller MB, Shapiro RW. Reliability studies of psychiatric diagnosis. Theory and practice. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1981 Apr;38(4):408–413. [PubMed]
  • Baker FM. Ethnic minority elders: a mental health research agenda. Hosp Community Psychiatry. 1992 Apr;43(4):337–342. [PubMed]
  • Simon RJ, Fleiss JL, Gurland BJ, Stiller PR, Sharpe L. Depression and schizophrenia in hospitalized black and white mental patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1973 Apr;28(4):509–512. [PubMed]
  • Liss JL, Welner A, Robins E, Richardson M. Psychiatric symptoms in white and black inpatients. I. Record study. Compr Psychiatry. 1973 Nov-Dec;14(6):475–481. [PubMed]
  • Bell CC, Mehta H. Misdiagnosis of black patients with manic depressive illness: second in a series. J Natl Med Assoc. 1981 Feb;73(2):101–107. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Jones BE, Gray BA, Parson EB. Manic-depressive illness among poor urban blacks. Am J Psychiatry. 1981 May;138(5):654–657. [PubMed]
  • Adebimpe VR. Overview: white norms and psychiatric diagnosis of black patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1981 Mar;138(3):279–285. [PubMed]
  • Folstein MF, Folstein SE, McHugh PR. "Mini-mental state". A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res. 1975 Nov;12(3):189–198. [PubMed]
  • Pfeiffer E. A short portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1975 Oct;23(10):433–441. [PubMed]
  • Baker FM. Psychiatric treatment of older African Americans. Hosp Community Psychiatry. 1994 Jan;45(1):32–37. [PubMed]

Articles from Journal of the National Medical Association are provided here courtesy of National Medical Association