1. Jha P, Ranson M K, Nguyen S N. et al Estimates of global and regional smoking prevalence in 1995, by age and sex. Am J Public Health 2002. 921002–1006.1006. [PubMed] 2. Yang G, Fan L, Tan J. et al Smoking in China: findings of the 1996 National Prevalence Survey. Jama 1999. 2821247–1253.1253. [PubMed] 3. Sato H. Policy and politics of smoking control in Japan. Soc Sci Med 1999. 49581–600.600. [PubMed] 4. Kang H Y, Kim H J, Park T K. et al Economic burden of smoking in Korea. Tob Control 2003. 1237–44.44. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 5. Wen C P, Cheng T Y, Eriksen M P. et al The impact of the cigarette market opening in Taiwan. Tob Control 2005. 14i4–i9.i9. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 6. Chantornvong S, McCargo D. Political economy of tobacco control in Thailand. Tob Control 2001. 1048–54.54. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
7. Chaloupka FJ L A. US trade policy and cigarette smoking. Research NBoE. Working Paper No. 5543. 1996.
8. O'Sullivan B, Chapman S. Eyes on the prize: transnational tobacco companies in China 1976–1997. Tob Control 2000. 9292–302.302. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 9. Lee K, Gilmore A B, Collin J. Breaking and re‐entering: British American Tobacco in China 1979–2000. Tob Control . 2004;13ii88–ii95.ii95. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 10. Nestler G. Traditional Chinese medicine. Med Clin North Am 2002. 8663–73.73. [PubMed]
11. Body&Soul Health Food shop Product Information on Honeyrose 2004. www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body‐soul/honeyrose‐herbal‐cigarette‐special‐mix.asp (Accessed August 9 2004)
12. US Tobacco Journal Marketing Executive Offering Smoker An Alternative Cigarette. 22 Mar 1979. Bates No. 950051849. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/rij74f00 .
13. Stratton K SP, Wallace R. et al, eds. Clearing the smoke. Committee to assess the science base for tobacco harm reduction
Washington DC: National Academy Place, 2001.
14. Robins R.
ed. The Seduction of Harm Reduction: Proceedings from the September 2004 Summit, Sacramento, CA: Department of Health Services 2005.
15. Joseph A M, Hennrikus D, Thoele M J. et al Community tobacco control leaders' perceptions of harm reduction. Tob Control 2004. 13108–113.113. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 16. Warner K E, Martin E G. The US tobacco control community's view of the future of tobacco harm reduction. Tob Control 2003. 12383–390.390. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 17. Tong E K, Glantz S A. ARTIST (Asian regional tobacco industry scientist team): Philip Morris' attempt to exert a scientific and regulatory agenda on Asia. Tob Control 2004. 13ii118–ii124.ii124. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
18. Care Co LTD. NosmoQ http://my.ecplaza.net/3gcare/2.asp (Accessed August 10 2004)
19. Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors KoreaMed www.koreamed.org (Accessed September 2006)
20. Icxo com. [Anti‐asthma cigarette] 2002. www.tobacco.icxo.com/htmlnews/2002/12/16/149200.html (Accessed June 29 2004)
21. Xisoming L. Herbal Cigarettes in China: Not Quite Healthy, But.11 Nov 1988. Bates No. 325304611‐325304612. http://bat.library.ucsf.edu//tid/dpj82a99 .
22. Gengtao C. China Produces A “Medicinal” Cigarette. 14 May 1982. Bates No. 950059114/9115. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/kud74f00 .
23. Tobacco Reporter New cigarettes claim to have good effect on health. Oct 1984. Bates No. 2501665802. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ksm49e00 .
24. Scull R Reuters, South China Morning Post Cigarettes ‘promote health'. 29 Aug 1984. Bates No. 2021573042A. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/lki23e00 .
25. Area of Philip Morris Central Files Yomiuri Shimbun. China develops ‘safe cigarette' reputed to have medicinal effect versus heart disease and high blood pressure. 27 Nov 1985. Bates No. 2022225468/5471. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/okt58e00 .
26. Brown and Williamson collection Be healthy, smoke Chinese: treatment of cigarette dependency. 30 Aug 1984. Bates No. 690154570. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/vcp93f00 .
27. TobaccoChina com. Qingzhou cigarette factory develops health cigarettes. Etsong tobacco group news 2000. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=2475 (Accessed June 2004) 28. Guangming Daily Company in Henan develops substitute for cigarette 2003. www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=3371 (Accessed October 2004)
29. Arwady M. Usa PM. Update: “Double Happiness,” “Hongtashan” and Other Chinese Brands in the N, Y. Market. 7 Jun 1996. Bates No. 2071630602/0605. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jon37d00 .
30. Brawner J. An Evaluation of Jin Jian, a Chinese Medicinal Cigarette/316. 24 Nov 1982. Bates No. 650328758/8765. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/txl00f00 .
31. Tianjin Daily Tianjin cigarette factory develops high‐grade health‐friendly cigarette 2002. www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content/aspx?id=822 (Accessed October 2004)
32. Zhang M. Meeting Report General Information. 9 July 1997. Bates No. 2076950347/0361. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/cqe85c00 .
33. Zhang Ming‐Shen [The health promoting effects of Chinese herbs in cigarettes (Translation)] 2004. http://www.tobaccochina.com/tech/data/20041/c112110145.htm (Accessed January 2005)
34. TobaccoChina com. “Puleye” preparation used as additive in cigarette making. China business 2001. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=1958 (Accessed August 2004) 35. TobaccoChina com. Chinese tobacco manufacturer develops new medicinal cigarette product. hnby.com.cn 2004. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=13386 (Accessed October 2004)
36. TobaccoChina com. [Wuyeshen's secret of harm reduction (translated)] 2004. http://www.tobaccochina.com/zt/jianhai/revolutioin_3/article4_1.htm (Accessed June 2004)
37. Henan Tiansheng Technology Development Co LTD. (Company website for Yixing) www.chinayixing.com/english.htm (Accessed June 2005)
38. Hong Z. World Tobacco. China employs medicinal herb to reduce ‘tar' deliveries. Mar 1987. Bates No. 2023132370/2371. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ysj48e00 .
39. Goldmount (Goldmount products: Blue and GT) Goldmount Co. 2002. www.goldmount.co.kr/eng/ (Accessed July 2 2004)
40. Damin‐biotech Co (Figo‐Loess Cigarette) Damin‐biotech Co. 2002. www.damin‐biotech.com/eng/ (Accessed July 1 2004)
41. Walk R A. “Korean Health Authority Approves Anti Smoking Cigarette”. 19 Jun 2001. Bates No. 2067227350/2067227351. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/svu34a00 .
42. Cheong Y. The Efficacy of Herbal Cigarettes (Kumyeoncho) and Nicotine Patches in Smoking Cessation. J Korean Acad Fam Med 2003. 241003–1009.1009.
43. Kim Seung‐hyun, Joo‐yun H Small firms seek out smokers. JoongAng Daily. 2004 July 20 2004.
44. Goodheart J, Wu L. “Herbal Cigarettes to Enter Taiwan Market in Summer”. 23 Mar 1999. Bates No. 2064207466B/7467. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/lqy08c00 .
45. Bhatiasevi A. Higher nicotine warning ignored/ Herbal‐flavoured smokes get nod. Bangkok Post. 2000 11/9/ 2000.
46. Pravattiyagul O. Puff it better. Bangkok Post. 2000 11/13/ 2000.
47. Han F H J, Xu H. [Effects of some Chinese herbal medicine and green tea antagonizing mutagenesis caused by cigarette tar] [Article in Chinese]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 1997. 3171–74.74. [PubMed] 48. Chung F L. The prevention of lung cancer induced by a tobacco‐specific carcinogen in rodents by green and black Tea. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1999. 220244–248.248. [PubMed] 49. Hakim IA H R, Chow H H, Dean M. et al Effect of a 4‐month Tea Intervention on Oxidative DNA Damage Among Heavy Smokers: Role of Glutathione S‐transferase Genotypes. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2004. 13242–249.249. [PubMed] 50. Yan Y, Wang Y, Tan Q. et al Efficacy of polyphenon E, red ginseng, and rapamycin on benzo(a)pyrene‐induced lung tumorigenesis in A/J mice. Neoplasia 2006. 852–58.58. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
51. Tobacco Reporter Herbal Cigarettes: Blending Ancient Chinese Medicine. Mar 1991. Bates No. 950059110. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jud74f00 .
52. Fen J, Yu L. Morris AoP. [Beijing cigarette factory's letter to PM]. 1980. Bates No. 2001205625. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/wts68e00 .
53. Qiu H G. Beijing CYH. Observation on treatment of chronic bronchitis with cigarette containing extratum of Chinese medcinal herbs and its influence to pulmonary functions. Aug 1980. Bates No. 2001205782/5783. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/sss68e00 .
54. Rodgman A Rjr, Smeeton B W, Lee C K. et al
Short‐Term Bioassay. Ames Test on Smoke Condensate ‐ a Summary: Part 2 (1983–1984), 8 Mar 1985. Bates No. 504147475/7487. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/pov58d00 .
55. Yokota H Pm K K. Chinese Cigarettes. 27 Mar 1987. Bates No. 2021561019. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jeq44e00 .
56. Connell C T, Smith J N, Will N L. Asia Region Cigarette Information Report China Market Sample Number 23. 4 Mar 1994. Bates No. 2055650002/0005. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/mri53a00 .
57. Fenna R A, Laffoon S W. Asia Region Cigarette Information Report. Aug 1992. Bates No. 2055167820/7971. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/nul82e00 .
58. Smith J N, Will N L. Asia Region Cigarette Information Report. Feb 1994. Bates No. 2050955674/5770. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ikj42e00 .
59. Smith J N, Will N L. Asia Region Cigarette Information Report 940200. Feb 1994. Bates No. 2050810414/0509. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jhi93e00 .
60. Philip Morris 960000 New Product Launches and Line Extensions. 1 Jan 1996. Bates No. 2074580370/0574. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/bwn66c00 .
61. Market Daily Jinsheng brand of cigarettes propular among Chinese consumers 2003. www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=244 (Accessed October 2004)
62. China Daily Nanchang cigarette factory sees growth in sales, profits and taxes 2003. www.globalink.org/10840.shtml (Accessed October 2004)
63. TobaccoChina com. “Wuyeshen” Cigarette Rewarded for Less Harm Meizhou cigarette factory 2001. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=47 (Accessed October 2004) 64. TobaccoChina com. Chinese Cigarette Factory, Universities Develop Less Harmful Cigarette Product enorth.com.cn 2003. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=6255 (Accessed January 2005) 65. Xinhua News Agency Ulan Hot cigarette factory develops cigarette with Chinese medicine 2002. www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=1041 (Accessed October 2004) 66. www.tob‐business.com Anti‐mutation liquid used as additive in cigarette making. www.tob‐bas.com.cn/eng/info/scripts/show_news.asp?File_URL=%5CENG%5CINFO%5CCONT (Accessed August 2004)
67. Fell J K E, Adelman D. China: The Final Frontier. Tobacco Industry Overview. Morgan Stanley; 2005 July .
68. TobaccoChina com. Jinsheng Cigarette Sets Good Example for Tobacco Innovation 2003. www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=208 (Accessed October 2004)
69. Beijing Cigarette Factory Beijing Cigarette Factory‐‐ A Rising Star of China Tobacco Industry in the 21st Century 2005. www.beijingtobacco.com.cn/english/overview.asp (Accessed September 2006)
70. Tsuji Y. Mainichi Shimbun. ‘Zhongnanhai'—China' VIP brand. A cigarette that's good for your health?! Loosens phlegm. JTS taking note, conducting research. 20 Jun 1984. Bates No. 2021561704/1710. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/zpe58e00 .
71. Phillip Morris‐Japan Media Uproar over Chinese safe cigarette. 1985. Bates No. 2029129166/9168. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/qkc83e00 .
72. Philip Morris‐Japan Japan Cigarette Market Summary 1992. 1992. Bates No. 2057101039/1132. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/imp52e00 .
73. Philip Morris Japan [Report of Brands sold in Japan]. Mar 1992. Bates No. 2076277519/7523. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ffp77d00 .
74. Philip Morris Japan [1992 Information summary chart on brands in Japan]. Mar 1993. Bates No. 2057901210/1325. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/vjy96e00 .
75. Philip Morris‐Japan [Market research report]. Oct 2000. Bates No. 2505614720/4729. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/nqo25c00 .
76. TobaccoChina com. Zhongnanhai cigarette sells well in Japan 2000. http://www.tobaccochina.com/englishnew/content.aspx?id=9434 (Accessed June 2004)
77. Area of Richard Carchman Reporter T. Group Opposes Chinese ‘Health Cigarettes'. Jun 1987. Bates No. 2023132373. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/atj48e00 .
78. Jung J W. [Figo‐Selling in New York]. [Korean Times]. 2003 January 18;Sect. A11.
79. Dong‐A Daily News [Figo brand sold n the US (translation from Korean)]. Dong‐A Daily News. 2003 January 22;Sect. A3.
80. Korea Daily [Blue]. 2002 December 5;Sect. A9.
81. Goodheart J. China Economic N, Esmerk. Taiwan: New Product for Cigarette Market, 23 Mar 1999. Bates No. 2064207438C/7439. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/nqy08c00 .
82. Tpage Global Co Ltd. Herbal Cigarettes http://catalog.tpage.com/listCategoryLevel3.jsp?c=2135 and link http://www.asiatobacco.ebigchina.com/ (Accessed July 1 2004) 83. Iida K, Proctor R N. Learning from Philip Morris: Japan Tobacco's strategies regarding evidence of tobacco health harms as revealed in internal documents from the American tobacco industry. Lancet 2004. 3631820–1824.1824. [PubMed] 84. Assunta M, Chapman S. A “clean cigarette” for a clean nation: a case study of Salem Pianissimo in Japan. Tob Control 2004. 13ii58–ii62.ii62. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 85. Caraballo R S, Pederson L L, Gupta N. New tobacco products: do smokers like them? Tob Control 2006. 1539–44.44. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 86. Chan T Y. Anticholinergic poisoning due to Chinese herbal medicines. Vet Hum Toxicol 1995. 37156–157.157. [PubMed] 87. Samenuk D, Link M S, Homoud M K. et al Adverse cardiovascular events temporally associated with ma huang, an herbal source of ephedrine. Mayo Clin Proc 2002. 7712–16.16. [PubMed] 88. Liu C, Douglas R M. Chinese Herbal Medicine in the treatment of acute respiratory tract infections: review of randomized and controlled clinical trials. Clin Infect Dis 1999. 28235–236.236. [PubMed] 89. Sutton C D, Robinson R G. The marketing of menthol cigarettes in the United States: populations, messages, and channels. Nicotine Tob Res 2004. 6S83–S91.S91. [PubMed]
90. Cunningham, Walsh Kool: 330000–800000 A Retrospective View of Kool. Book I: The Text, 10 Nov 1980. Bates No. 670917650/7794. http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/aqy60f00 .
91. Pollay R W, Dewhirst T. The dark side of marketing seemingly “Light” cigarettes: successful images and failed fact. Tob Control 2002. 11I18–I31.I31. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
92. World Health Organization Updated Status of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control 2006. http://www.who.int/tobacco/framework/countrylist/en/ (Accessed January 2006)