1. Gajalakshmi C K, Jha P, Ranson K. et al Global patterns of smoking and smoking‐attributable mortality. In: Jha P, Chaloupka F, eds. Tobacco control in developing countries. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
2. Saloojee Y. Tobacco in Africa: More than a health threat. In: Boyle P, Gray N, Henningfield J, Seffrin J, Zatonski W, eds. Tobacco and public health: science and policy
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004.
3. Oluwafemi A. Regional summary for the African region. In: Shafey O, Dolwick S, Gunidon GE, eds. Tobacco control country profiles. 2nd edn. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, 2003.
4. WHO Committee of Experts Tobacco company strategies to undermine tobacco control activities at the World Health Organization. Report of the committee of experts on tobacco industry documents. Geneva, 2000 http://who.int/tobacco/policy/who_inquiry/en/print.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
5. Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids ‘Golden leaf, barren harvest: The costs of tobacco farming'. 2001. http://tobaccofreekids.org/campaign/global/FCTCreport1.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
6. Christian A i d / D E. Hooked on tobacco: Brazilian family farmers, British American Tobacco and the need to regulate big business. 2002. http://www.christian‐aid.org.uk/indepth/0201bat/index.htm (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
7. Kweyuh P. Tobacco expansion if Kenya ‐ the socio‐ecological losses. Tob Control 1994. 3248–251.251.
8. Kweyuh P. Tobacco farming in Kenya: the profits of deception. Presentation to the International Lung Health Conference and Annual General Meeting of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (UIATLD), Paris, France, 29 Sep–5 Oct, 1997. http://www.globalink.org/tobacco/docs/af‐docs/9709kweyuh.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
9. Kweyuh P. Does tobacco growing pay? The Case of Kenya. In: Abedian I, van der Merwe R, Wilkins N, Jha P, eds, The economics of tobacco control: towards an optimal policy mix
Rondebosch, South Africa: Applied Fiscal Research Centre, University of Cape Town 1998. 245–250.250.
10. Christian Aid Behind the mask: The real face of corporate social responsibility. 2004. http://www.christian‐aid.org.uk/indepth/0401csr/csr_behindthemask.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
11. Asila J. No cash in this crop. New Internationalist 369, July 2004. http://www.newint.org/issue369/crop.htm (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
12. ASH UK British American Tobacco: exporting misery. 2006 http://www.ash.org.uk/html/international/html/BATKenya060425.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
13. WHO Updated status of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. http://www.who.int/tobacco/framework/countrylist/en/index.html (last accessed 22 Dec 2006)
14. Ogwell A E O. National Tobacco Free Initiative Committee, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, personal communication (PP), 9 2005.
15. Coates B. Cigarette company documents outline strategy to derail global tobacco treaty. Centre for Public Integrity. 16 May 2003. http://www.public‐i.org/report.aspx?aid=85&sid=200 (accessed 22 Dec 2006) 16. Cox H. The global cigarette: origins & evolution of British American Tobacco 1880–1945. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. 310. [PubMed]
17. Swainson N. Company formation in Kenya before 1945 with particular reference to the role of foreign capital. In: Kaplinsky R, ed. Readings on the multinational corporations in Kenya. Nairobi: Oxford University Press, 1978. 56–57.57.
18. World Bank Economics of tobacco for the Africa (AFR) region, 20 June. 2001. http://www1.worldbank.org/tobacco/pdf/country%20briefs/Africa.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
19. Oyuke J. BAT to invest Sh 500m in export unit. The East African Standard, online edition, 23 Aug 2002.
20. BAT Kenya Limited Briefing on tobacco leaf growing in Kenya, Telefax message from Kaloki TS (BAT Kenya Limited) to Snowden I (BATCO Woking), BAT, Guildford Depository, 28 June 1993 (Bates Range 304549876/9877)
21. BAT Kenya Limited Response to Ton Van Waay's visit report – April 1989, BAT, Guildford Depository, June 1989 (Bates Range 400549650/9658)
22. BAT Kenya Limited Cigarette consumption rising in Kenya, date, author and publication details illegible, BAT, Guildford Depository, (Bates Range 401258112)
23. BAT Kenya Limited Domestic annual usings are in the region of 5,000 tonnes of dry leaf. Briefing on Tobacco Leaf Growing in Kenya, Telefax Message from Kaloki TS (BAT Kenya Limited) to Snowden I (BATCO Woking), BAT, Guildford Depository, 28 June 1993 (Bates Range 304549876/9877)
24. Hartley R S. Letter to McDowell TPG Re: BAT Kenya company plan, BAT, Guildford Depository, 28 Nov, 1991 (Bates Range 301536123/6127)
25. Tice T J. Extract from minutes of Tobacco executive Committee meeting. BAT, Guildford Depository, Bates No. 201018307, 24 Jun 1980.
26. Mackay J, Eriksen M. The Tobacco Atlas. Geneva, World Health Organisation http://www.who.int/tobacco/media/en/title.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
27. Madeley J. Big business, poor peoples: The impact of transnational corporations on the world's poor. London & New York: Zed Books, 2001. 51.
28. Brandt D. Visit to BAT Kenya 4–6 June 1990, 26 June 1990, BAT, Guildford Depository, Bates Range 301611652 .
29. The Nation Ministries Split Over Adoption of Tobacco Bill, 30 May 2003. http://allafrica.com/stories/200305300486.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
30. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Database, Agriculture Food and Trade (Crops & Livestock Primary & Processed)
31. Ogwell A E O. National Tobacco Free Initiative Committee, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, personal communication (PP), 1 Aug 2006.
32. Odhiambo P A.
ed. Tobacco vs health. Nairobi: National Tobacco‐Free Initiative Committee, Kenya, 2005.
33. Summary of B
A.T Kenya Response to the University of Lancaster Study. Letter to Mr. J. S. Mathenge (Permanent Secretary, Office of the President, Nairobi, Kenya) from E. A. Luseno (Director‐Personnel & Public Affairs BAT Kenya), BAT, Guildford Depository 22 Aug 1984 (Bates Range 304007384/7397)
34. British American Tobacco Kenya Annual Rep Financ Statements. 2003. p. 16.
35. Throup D, Hornsby C. Multi‐party politics in Kenya: The Kenyatta & Moi States & the triumph of the system in the 1992 election. Oxford: James Currey, 1998. 359.
36. Johnston A C. BAT Kenya 18th/22nd April Tour, BAT, Guildford Depository, 26 April 1988(Bates Range 300027102)
37. Blackman L (1982) Visit to BAT Kenya Ltd, 3–5 November 1982. BAT, Guildford Depository, 16 Nov 1982 (Bates Range 304011959/196)
38. Fax from Davis N to Broughton MF
Subject: Meeting with President Moi, BAT, Guildford Depository, 17 Nov 1994 (Bates Range 500045215)
39. BAT Imara Daima Housing Development: Background Notes to Mr Norman Davis, BAT, Guildford depository, 4th Nov 1994 (Bates Range 500045216/5218)
40. BAT Africa Private Enterprise Group Dinner [Guest List], BAT, Guildford Depository, 17 Nov 1994 (Bates Range 500045209)
41. van Waay A, Visit Note Kenya – 29th March to 7th April 1989, Secret, BAT, Guildford Depository, 18 Apr 1989 (Bates Range 400549659/9665)
42. Kimani D New anti‐ tobacco bill to hit industry hard The East African, RJ Reynolds, 29 Sep–5 Oct (Bates Range 521424718‐4719). http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/nbo51c00 (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
43. Panafrican News Agency Companies suspected of delaying tobacco bill in Kenya. All‐Africa.com, 2 April 2001. http://allafrica.com/stories/200104030016.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
44. BAT Kenya Annual Rep Accounts. 2001. p. 5.
45. BAT Kenya Annual Rep Financ Statements. 2002. p. 7.
46. BAT Kenya Annual Rep Financ Statements. 2003. p. 7.
47. BAT Kenya Annual Rep Financ Statements. 2004. p. 9.
48. The Standard Tobacco industry calls another MPs' retreat. 19 Nov 2004.
50. Ogutu J. Public smoking reprieve extended. The East African Standard (Nairobi), 1 July 2006 http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200607010186.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
51. Kimani D. ‘Pre‐emptive' ban polarizes govt and tobacco industry. The East African (Nairobi), 29 May 2006. http://www.spinwatch.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2757 .
52. BAT Kenya Key Efforts by British American Tobacco CORA Departments on tackling the WHO tobacco free initiative. (Bates Range 321422732/2735). http://bat.library.ucsf.edu/tid/bnz34a99 (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
53. Andreas Vecchiet to Michael Prideaux WHO: outcomes of first FCTC Intergovernmental Negotiating Body', 10 November 2000, Bates Range 325047704/7720. http://bat.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ymt44a99 (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
54. The Impact of WHO's Global Tobacco Control Proposals on Tobacco‐Growing Economies Report on the Series of ITGA Select Briefings. South Africa, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Kenya, India, March 2000 (Bates Range 321356397/6413). http://bat.library.ucsf.edu/tid/lsr03a99 (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
55. Peel M. BAT: How to bypass the local difficulties, Financial Times, 21 Feb 2004. http://searchft.com/s03/search/article.html (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
56. The East African Pay $4.7m Tax, KRA Tells Moi Son's Firm 2003. http://allafrica.com/stories(accessed 22 Dec 2006)
57. BAT Kenya Note to Johnston AC, from Vayid MA. Competitive entry sensitivity analysis, BAT, Guildford Depository, 13 November 1987 (Bates Range 400228897/8898)
58. Maganlal: An Unstoppable Family Business Company Survey, The East African, 3 Dec 2001, online edition .
59. BAT Kenya Note to Johnston AC, from Vayid MA, Note of a visit to BAT Kenya 30 Nov–1 Dec 1987, . BAT, Guildford Depository, 11 Dec 1987 (Bates Range 400228899/8900)
60. Kenya Gazette supplement no 52, 10 Aug 1984. http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/nations/legislation/PDFFiles/Kenya.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
61. BAT Company plan meeting: BAT Kenya ‐ Marketing, n/d, BAT, Guildford Depository, 1991 (Bates Range 301536248)
62. Hirji T, Stephenson A. Report on Visit to BAT (Kenya) Ltd by Taj Hirji, Alan Stephenson – 22–31 January 1988, Rob Ferris – 21–26 Jan 1988. BAT, Guildford Depository, 23 Feb 1988 (Bates Range 401313638/3650)
63. Letter from McDowell TPG to Hartley RS, Re: Mastermind Tobacco Company Pirating Fire‐Cured Tobacco Grown by BAT Kenya registered farmers, BAT, Guildford Depository, 7 Sept 1990 (Bates Range 301611620/1621)
64. BAT Kenya BAT Kenya Ltd Annual Report 1986, BAT, Guildford Depository, 1 May 1987 (Bates Range 403696046/6066)
65. Drummond JW Company plan 1992–1996; BAT Kenya Limited ‐ Kenya, Leaf, BAT, Guildford Depository, 23 Oct 1991 (Bates Range 301536249/6251)
66. BAT Kenya Letter from Bishop DJ to McDowell TPG (B.A.T Kenya Ltd), 7 June 1990, BAT, Guildford Depository, Bates Range 301611693 .
67. Lowe R D, Visit to B. A. T. (Kenya) Ltd 25–29 Apr 1988, BAT, Guildford Depository, 4 May 1988 (Bates Range 400549702)
68. BAT Kenya Memorandum, PUBLIC AFFAIRS KEY OBJECTIVES FOR 1991, from Luseno EA (Director Public Affairs) to Opukah S, 15 September 1990, BAT, Guildford Depository, Bates Range 304011828/ 1830.
69. Agriconsult The economic impact of the tobacco industry in Kenya. Nairobi, Kenya, March 1991. Cited in Kweyuh P, ‘Tobacco expansion in Kenya – the socio‐ecological losses'. Tobacco Control 1994. 3248–251.251.
70. Mwema K. Reform talks open to public: Kanu has nothing to hide – Moi. Times: The Voice of the People, 30 Nov, 1990. 2.
71. Opanga K. Kanu review meeting open to all, says Moi Daily Nation, 30 Nov 1990.
72. BAT BAT Kenya and MTK to operate in same areas', BAT Mkulima Wa Tumbaku, Newsletter, Vol 4, March, BAT, Guildford Depository, 1993 (Bates Range 304549890/9893)
73. BAT Kenya Letter from McDowell TPG (Managing Director, B.A.T. Kenya) to Simeon Nyachae (Minister for Agriculture, Livestock Development & Marketing), BAT, Guildford Depository, 7 Sept 1993 (Bates Range 304549828/9829)
74. BAT Kenya Bishop DJ. BAT Kenya File Note, BAT, Guildford Depository, 20 Aug 1990 Bates Range 301611637 .
75. BAT Kenya Leaf Department Company Plan Guidelines 1994, BAT, Guildford Depository (Bates Range 602000107/0109)
76. BAT Kenya Leaf Department Company Guidelines, attached with Letter from Davis N to McDowell TPG (B.A.T Kenya Ltd), BAT, Guildford Depository, 13 Jun 1994 (Bates Range 602000107)
77. Letter from Davis N to Greener G, Allied Dunbar Assurance plc, BAT, Guildford Depository, 18 Nov 1994 (Bates Range 500045203)
78. Davis N Visit to Bat Kenya, 23–25 August 1994', BAT, Guildford Depository, 30 Aug 1994 (Bates Range 500045312/4316)
79. The Crop Protection and Livestock Act (CAP 321). Kenya Gazette Supplement No. 42, 29 July 1994.
80. BAT Kenya Rules and regulations governing the production, marketing and transport of flue cured, fire cured and burley tobacco in Kenya, BAT, Guildford Depository, 7 Sept 1993 (Bates Range 304549830/9847)
81. Taylor A, Chaloupka F J, Guindon E. et al The impact of trade liberalisation on tobacco consumption. In: Jha P, Chaloupka F, eds. Tobacco control in developing countries. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
82. Bettcher D, Subramaniam C, Guindon E. et alConfronting the tobacco epidemic in an era of trade liberalisation. Geneva: WHO, TFI, 2001.
83. Gilmore A, McKee M. Exploring the impact of foreign direct investment on tobacco consumption in the former Soviet Union. Tobacco Control 2005. 1413–21.21. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 84. Gilmore A, Radu‐Loghin C, Zatushevski I. et al Pushing up smoking incidence: a review of transnational tobacco company plans for a privatised tobacco industry in Moldova. Lancet 2005. 3651354–1359.1359. [PubMed]
85. Campaign for Tobacco‐Free Kids Public Health and International Trade Volume II: tariffs and privatisation. Washington DC: Campaign for Tobacco‐Free Kids, 2002.
86. Weissman R, White A. Needless harm, International Monetary fund support for tobacco privatisation and for tobacco tax and tariff reduction and the cost to public health. Washington, DC: Essential Action, 2002, ( http://www.essentialaction.org/needlessharm.pdf ) (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
87. British Helsinki Human Rights Group BAT in Uzbekistan 2002. http://www.bhhrg.org/CountryReport.asp?CountryID=23&ReportID=5 (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
88. MacKenzie R, Collin J, Lee K. The tobacco industry documents: an introductory handbook and resource guide for researchers. London: London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, 2003, http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/cgch/tobacco/Handbook%2008.07.03.pdf (accessed 22 Dec 2006)
89. Bero L. Implications of the tobacco industry documents for public health and policy. Ann Rev Public Health 2003. 24267–288.288. [PubMed] 90. Balbach E. Tobacco industry documents: comparing the Minnesota Depository and internet access. Tob Control 2002. 1168–72.72. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 91. Muggli M E, LeGresley E M, Hurt R D. Big tobacco is watching: British American Tobacco's surveillance and information concealment at the Guildford depository. Lancet 2004. 3631812–1819.1819. [PubMed] 92. Lee K, Gilmore A, Collin J. Looking inside the tobacco industry: revealing insights from the Guildford Depository. Addiction 2004. 99394–397.397. [PubMed] 93. Malone RE, Balbach ED. Tobacco industry documents: treasure trove or quagmire, Tob Control 2000. 9334–338.338. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 94. Collin J, Lee K, Gilmore A. Unlocking the corporate documents of British American Tobacco: an invaluable global resource needs radically improved access. Lancet 2004. 3631746–1747.1747. [PubMed]