1. Institute of Medicine. The National Academy of Sciences, 2006 IOM Report: The future of emergency care in the United States Health System. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13(10):1081–1083. [PubMed] 2. Wilber ST, Gerson LW, Terrell KM, et al. Geriatric emergency medicine and the 2006 Institute of Medicine reports from the Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the U.S. Health System. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13:1345–1351. [PubMed] 3. Jeste DV, Alexopoulos GS, Bartels SJ, et al. Consensus statement on the upcoming crisis in geriatric mental health: research agenda for the next 2 decades. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56(9):848–853. [PubMed]
4. Hybels CF, Blazer DG. Epidemiology of mental disorders in older adults. In: Levin BL, Petrila J, Hennessy KD, editors. Mental Health Services: A Public Perspective. Second Edition Oxford University Press; USA: 2004. pp. 212–231.
5. Piechniczek-Buczek J. Psychiatric emergencies in the elderly population. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2006;24(2):467–490. [PubMed] 6. Currier GW, Allen MH. Organization and function of academic psychiatric emergency services. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2003;25:124–129. [PubMed]
7. Burt CW, McCaig LF. Advance data from vital and health statistics. 376. National Center for Health Statistics; Hyattsville, MD: 2006. Staffing, capacity, and ambulance diversion in emergency departments: United States, 2003-04.
8. Larkin GL, Claassen CA, Emond JA, et al. Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for mental health conditions, 1992 to 2001. Psychiatr Serv. 2005;56(6):671–677. [PubMed] 9. Hazlett SB, McCarthy ML, Londner MS, et al. Epidemiology of adult psychiatric visits to U.S. emergency departments. Acad Emerg Med. 2004;11(2):193–195. [PubMed] 10. Aminzadeh F, Dalziel WB. Older adults in the emergency department: a systematic review of patterns of use, adverse outcomes, and effectiveness of interventions. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39(3):238–247. [PubMed] 11. Birrer R, Singh U, Kumar DN. Disability and dementia in the emergency department. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1999;17(2):505–517. [PubMed]
12. Allen MH, Forster P, Zealberg J, et al. APA Task Force on Psychiatric Emergency Services: Report and recommendations regarding psychiatric emergency and crisis services. American Psychiatric Association; 2002.
13. Allen MH. Definitive treatment in the psychiatric emergency service. Psychiatr Q. 1996;67:247–262. [PubMed] 14. Pasic J, Russo J, Roy-Byrne P. High utilizers of psychiatric emergency services. Psychiatr Serv. 2005;56(6):678–684. [PubMed]
15. McCaig LF, Nawar EN. Advance data from vital and health statistics. 372. National Center for Health Statistics; Hyattsville, MD: 2006. National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2004 emergency department summary.
16. Terrell KM, Miller DK. Critical review of transitional care between nursing homes and emergency departments. Annals of Long-Term Care. 2007;15(2):33–38.
18. McCaig LF, Burt CW. Advance data from vital and health statistics. 358. National Center for Health Statistics; Hyattsville, MD: 2005. National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2003 Emergency Department Summary.
19. He W, Sengupta M, Velkoff VA, et al. Current Population Reports, P23-209, U.S. Census Bureau, 2005. U.S. Government Printing Office; Washington, DC: 2005. 65+ in the United States: 2005.
20. Stone RI. Long term care for the elderly with disabilities: current policy, emerging trends, and implications for the 21st century. Milbank Memorial Fund. 2000
21. Klap R, Unroe KT, Unutzer J. Caring for mental illness in the United States: a focus on older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2003;11(5):517–24. [PubMed] 22. Kasen S, Cohen P, Chen H, Castille D. Depression in adult women: age changes and cohort effects. American Journal of Public Health. 2003;93(12):2061–6. [PubMed]
23. Bartels SJ, Blow FC, Brockmann LM, et al. Substance abuse and mental health among older adults: the state of the knowledge and future directions. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2005.
25. Hebert LE, Scherr PA, Bienias JL, et al. Alzheimer disease in the US population. Arch Neurol. 2003;60:1119–1122. [PubMed] 26. Pressley C, Trott C, Tang M, et al. Dementia in community-dwelling elderly patients: a comparison of survey data, medicare claims, cognitive screening, reported symptoms, and activity limitations. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2003;56:896–905. [PubMed] 27. Chapman DP, Williams SM, Strine TW, et al. Dementia and its implications for public health. Prev Chronic Dis. 2006;3(2):A34. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 28. Ryan JM, Kidder SW, Daiello LA. Mental health services in nursing homes: psychopharmologic interventions in nursing homes: what do we know and where should we go? Psychiatr Serv. 2002;53:1407–1413. [PubMed] 29. Meldon SW, Emerman CL, Schubert DSP. Recognition of depression in geriatric ED patients by emergency physicians. Ann Emerg Med. 1997;30:4. [PubMed] 30. Naughton BJ, Moran MB, Kadah H, et al. Delirium and other cognitive impairment in older adults in an emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1995;25(6):751–755. [PubMed] 31. Sanders AB. Missed delirium in older emergency department patients: a quality-of-care problem. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39:338–341. [PubMed] 32. Hustey FM, Meldon SW. The prevalence and documentation of impaired mental status in elderly emergency department patients. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39:248–253. [PubMed] 33. Lewinsohn PM, Rohde P, Seele JR, et al. Age-cohort changes in the lifetime occurrence of depression and other mental disorders. J Ab Psychol. 1993;102(1):110–120. [PubMed] 34. Blazer DG, Bacher JR, Manton KG. Suicide in late life. J A Geriatr Soc. 1986;34:519–525. [PubMed] 35. Gallo JJ, Lebowitz BD. The epidemiology of common late-life mental disorders in the community: themes for the new century. Psychiatr Serv. 1999;50(9):1158–66. [PubMed] 36. Pearson JL, Brown GK. Suicide prevention in late life: directions for science and practice. Clin Psychol Review. 2000;20(6):685–705. [PubMed] 37. Charney DS, Reynolds CF, Lewis L, et al. Depression and bipolar support alliance consensus statement on the unmet needs in diagnosis and treatment in of mood disorders in late life. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60(7) [PubMed] 38. Lagomasino I, Daly R, Stoudemire A. Medical assessment of patients presenting with psychiatric symptoms in the emergency setting. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1999;22(4):819–850. [PubMed] 39. Lebowitz BD, Pearson JL, Schneider LS, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of depression in late life: consensus statement update. JAMA. 1997;278(14) [PubMed] 40. Elie M, Rousseau F, Cole M, et al. Prevalence and detection of delirium in elderly emergency department patients. CMAJ. 2000;163(8):977–81. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Kakuma R, du Fort GG, Arsenault L, et al. Delirium in older emergency department patients discharged home: effect on survival. J Am Geriatr S. 2003;51(4):443–50. [PubMed] 42. Hanlon JT, Schmader KE, Koronkowski MJ, et al. Adverse drug events in high risk older outpatients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997;45(8):945–8. [PubMed] 43. Cooper JW. Adverse drug reaction-related hospitalizations of nursing facility patients: a 4-year study. Southern Medical Journal. 1999;92(5):485–90. [PubMed] 44. Thienhaus OJ, Piasecki MP. Assessment of geriatric patients in the psychiatric emergency service. Psychiatr Serv. 2004;55(6):639–40. [PubMed] 45. Chapman DP, Currier GW, Miller JK, et al. Medication-induced emergency hospitalizations for psychiatric disorders among older adults in the US. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2003;18(2):185–186. [PubMed]
46. Gabrel CS. Advance data from vital and health statistics. 312. National Center for Health Statistics; Hyattsville, MD: 2000. Characteristics of elderly nursing home current residents and discharges: data from the 1997 National Nursing Home Survey.
47. Harman JS, Scholle SH, Edlund MJ. Emergency department visits for depression in the United States. Psychiatr Serv. 2004;55(8):937–9. [PubMed] 48. Husaini BA, Sherkat DE, Levine R, et al. Race, gender, and health care service utilization and costs among medicare elderly with psychiatric diagnoses. J Aging Health. 2002;14(1):79–95. [PubMed]
49. United States Public Health Service Office of the Surgeon General Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity: A Supplement to mental health: A report of the Surgeon General. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Public Health Service; Rockville, MD: 2001.
50. Bender E. Stigma of mental health in partial retreat. Psychiatric News. 2004;39(16):6.
51. Colenda CC. Written testimony from the Special Committee on Aging, held in United States Senate, September 14, 2006. American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry; 2006. Prevalence of suicide among older adults.
54. Catalano RA, Coffman JM, Bloom JR, et al. The impact of capitated financing on psychiatric emergency services. Psychiatr Serv. 2005;56(6):685–690. [PubMed] 55. Demmler J. Utilization of specialty mental health organizations by older adults: U.S. national profile. Psychiatr Serv. 1998;49(8):1079–1081. [PubMed]
56. Mark TL, Coffey RM, McKusick DR, et al. National Estimates of Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment, 1991 – 2001. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; Rockville, MD: 2005. (SAMHSA Publication No. SMA 05-3999).
57. Singal BM, Hedges JR, Rousseau EW, et al. Geriatric patient emergency visits. Part I: Comparison of visits by geriatric and younger patients. Ann Emerg Med. 1992;21(7):802–817. [PubMed] 58. Unutzer J, Patrick DL, Simon G, et al. Depressive symptoms and the cost of health services in HMO patients aged 65 years and older. A 4-year prospective study. JAMA. 1997;277(20):1618–23. [PubMed] 59. Conwell Y, Olsen K, Caine ED, et al. Suicide in late life: psychological autopsy findings. Int Psychogeriatr. 1991;3:59–66. [PubMed] 60. Bartels SJ, Coakley EH, Zubritsky C, et al. PRISM-E Investigators. Improving access to geriatric mental health services: a randomized trial comparing treatment engagement with integrated versus enhanced referral care for depression, anxiety, and at-risk alcohol use. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161(8):1455–62. [PubMed] 62. Yazgan IC, Greenwald BS, Kremen NJ, et al. Geriatric psychiatry versus general psychiatry inpatient treatment of the elderly. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:352–355. [PubMed] 63. Shah MN, Heppard B, Medina-Walpole A, et al. Emergency medicine management of the geriatric patient: an educational program for medical students. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53(1):141–145. [PubMed] 64. Caplan GA, Williams AJ, Daly B, Abraham K. A randomized controlled trial of comprehensive geriatric assessment and multidisciplinary intervention after discharge of elderly from the emergency department-The DEED II Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52:1417–1423. [PubMed] 65. McCusker J, Verdon J. Do geriatric interventions reduce emergency department visits? A systematic review. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006;61(1):53–62. [PubMed] 66. Terrell KM, Brizendine EJ, Bean WF, et al. An extended care facility-to-emergency department transfer form improves communication. Acad Emerg Med. 2005;12(2):114–118. [PubMed] 67. Himelhoch S, Weller WE, Wu AW, et al. Chronic medical illness, depression, and use of acute medical services among Medicare beneficiaries. Med Care. 2004;42(6) [PubMed] 68. Thibault JM, Steiner RW. Efficient identification of adults with depression and dementia. Am Fam Physician. 2004;70(6):1101–1110. [PubMed] 69. Sanders AB. Care of the elderly in emergency departments: Conclusions and recommendations. Ann Emerg Med. 1992;21:830–834. [PubMed] 70. Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB. The Patient Health Questionnaire-2: validity of a two-item depression screener. Med Care. 2003;41(11):1284–1292. [PubMed] 71. Callahan CM, Unverzagt FW, Hui SL, et al. Six-Item screener to identify cognitive impairment among potential subjects for clinical research. Med Care. 2002;40(9):771–781. [PubMed]
72. Shi L, Singh DA, editors. Delivering health care in America: a systems approach. 3rd edition Jones & Bartlett Publishers; Sudbury, MA: 2004.
73. Cohen HJ, Feussner JR, Weinberger M, et al. A controlled trial of inpatient and outpatient geriatric evaluation and management. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(12):905–912. [PubMed] 74. Kane RL, Keckhafer G, Flood S, et al. The effect of Evercare on hospital use. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003;51(10):1427–34. [PubMed] 75. Center for Mental Health Services In: Mental Health, United States, 2002. Manderscheid RW, Henderson MJ, editors. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; Rockville, MD: 2004. (DHHS Pub No. (SMA) 3938). Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov.