1. World Health Organization. Prevention of suicide: guidelines for the formulation and implementation of national strategies. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1996.
2. US Public Health Service. The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent suicide. Washington, DC: US Public Health Service; 1999.
3. US Department of Health and Human Services. With understanding and improving health and objectives for improving health. 2nd. Vol. 2. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2000. Healthy People 2010.
4. Goldsmith SK, Pellmar TC, Kleinman AM, et al., editors. Reducing suicide: a national imperative. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002.
5. Mathers CD, Bernard C, Iburg KM, et al. Global Programme on Evidence for Health Policy discussion paper no 54. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2003. Global burden of disease in 2002: data sources, methods and results.
6. Murray CL, Lopez AD, editors. The global burden of disease: a comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries, and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1996.
7. Mathers CD, Loncar D. Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e442. Electronic article. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 9. Monk M. Epidemiology of suicide. Epidemiol Rev. 1987;9:51–69. [PubMed]
10. Moscicki EK. Epidemiology of suicide. In: Jacobs DG, editor. The Harvard Medical School guide to suicide assessment and intervention. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, Inc; 1999. pp. 40–51.
11. Borges G, Anthony JC, Garrison CZ. Methodological issues relevant to epidemiologic investigations of suicidal behaviors of adolescents. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17:228–39. [PubMed]
12. Cantor CH. Suicide in the Western world. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 9–28.
13. Cantor CH, Leenaars AA, Lester D, et al. Suicide trends in eight predominantly English-speaking countries 1960–1989. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1996;31:364–73. [PubMed]
14. Cheng AT, Lee C. Suicide in Asia and the Far East. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 29–48.
15. Levi F, La Vecchia C, Lucchini F, et al. Trends in mortality from suicide, 1965–99. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2003;108:341–9. [PubMed] 16. Spirito A, Esposito-Smythers C. Attempted and completed suicide in adolescence. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2006;2:237–66. [PubMed] 17. Weissman MM. The epidemiology of suicide attempts, 1960 to 1971. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1974;30:737–46. [PubMed] 18. Wexler L, Weissman MM, Kasl SV. Suicide attempts 1970–75: updating a United States study and comparisons with international trends. Br J Psychiatry. 1978;132:180–5. [PubMed]
19. Kerkhof AJFM. Attempted suicide: patterns and trends. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 49–64.
20. Kessler RC, McRae JA., Jr Trends in the relationship between sex and attempted suicide. J Health Soc Behav. 1983;24:98–110. [PubMed] 21. Bridge JA, Goldstein TR, Brent DA. Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2006;47:372–94. [PubMed] 22. Kessler RC, Berglund P, Borges G, et al. Trends in suicide ideation, plans, gestures, and attempts in the United States, 1990–1992 to 2001–2003. JAMA. 2005;293:2487–95. [PubMed] 23. Kessler RC, Demler O, Frank RG, et al. Prevalence and treatment of mental disorders, 1990 to 2003. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:2515–23. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 24. Horan JM, Mallonee S. Injury surveillance. Epidemiol Rev. 2003;25:24–42. [PubMed] 25. Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, et al. Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans, and attempts in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;192:98–105. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 26. Weissman MM, Bland RC, Canino GJ, et al. Prevalence of suicide ideation and suicide attempts in nine countries. Psychol Med. 1999;29:9–17. [PubMed] 27. Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A, De Leo D, et al. Suicide attempts, plans, and ideation in culturally diverse sites: the WHO SUPRE-MISS community survey. Psychol Med. 2005;35:1457–65. [PubMed] 28. Platt S, Bille-Brahe U, Kerkhof A, et al. Parasuicide in Europe: the WHO/EURO Multicentre Study on Parasuicide. I. Introduction and preliminary analysis for 1989. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1992;85:97–104. [PubMed] 29. O'Carroll PW, Berman AL, Maris RW, et al. Beyond the Tower of Babel: a nomenclature for suicidology. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1996;26:237–52. [PubMed] 30. Silverman MM, Berman AL, Sanddal ND, et al. Rebuilding the Tower of Babel: a revised nomenclature for the study of suicide and suicidal behaviors. Part 1: background, rationale, and methodology. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007;37:248–63. [PubMed] 31. Silverman MM, Berman AL, Sanddal ND, et al. Rebuilding the Tower of Babel: a revised nomenclature for the study of suicide and suicidal behaviors. Part 2: suicide-related ideations, communications, and behaviors. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007;37:264–77. [PubMed] 32. Posner K, Oquendo MA, Gould M, et al. Columbia Classification Algorithm of Suicide Assessment (C-CASA): classification of suicidal events in the FDA's pediatric suicidal risk analysis of antidepressants. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1035–43. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Nock MK, Prinstein MJ. Clinical features and behavioral functions of adolescent self-mutilation. J Abnorm Psychol. 2005;114:140–6. [PubMed] 34. Nock MK, Kessler RC. Prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts versus suicide gestures: analysis of the National Comorbidity Survey. J Abnorm Psychol. 2006;115:616–23. [PubMed] 35. Nock MK, Joiner TE, Jr, Gordon KH, et al. Non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents: diagnostic correlates and relation to suicide attempts. Psychiatry Res. 2006;144:65–72. [PubMed] 36. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. WISQARS fatal injuries: mortality reports. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2008. http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html. 37. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. WISQARS nonfatal injuries: nonfatal injury reports. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2008. http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates.html. 38. Kumar V. Burnt wives—a study of suicides. Burns. 2003;29:31–5. [PubMed]
39. Lee S, Kleinman A. Suicide as resistance in Chinese society. In: Perry EJ, Selden M, editors. Chinese society: change, conflict and resistance. 2nd. London, United Kingdom: Routledge; 2003. pp. 289–311.
40. Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A. A global perspective in the epidemiology of suicide. Suicidology. 2002;7:6–8.
41. Jenkins R. Addressing suicide as a public health problem. Lancet. 2002;359:813–14. [PubMed]
42. Pescosolido BA, Mendelsohn R. Social causation or social construction of suicide? An investigation into the social organization of official rates. Am Sociol Rev. 1986;51:80–101.
43. Scocco P, De Leo D. One-year prevalence of death thoughts, suicide ideation and behaviours in an elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002;17:842–6. [PubMed] 44. Goldney RD, Smith S, Winefield AH, et al. Suicidal ideation: its enduring nature and associated morbidity. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1991;83:115–20. [PubMed] 46. Conwell Y, Duberstein PR. Suicide in elders. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;932:132–47. [PubMed] 47. Kessler RC, Borges G, Walters EE. Prevalence of and risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:617–26. [PubMed] 48. Tishler CL, Reiss NS, Rhodes AR. Suicidal behavior in children younger than twelve: a diagnostic challenge for emergency department personnel. Acad Emerg Med. 2007;14:810–18. [PubMed] 49. Nock MK, Kazdin AE. Examination of affective, cognitive, and behavioral factors and suicide-related outcomes in children and young adolescents. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2002;31:48–58. [PubMed] 50. Pfeffer CR. Diagnosis of childhood and adolescent suicidal behavior: unmet needs for suicide prevention. Biol Psychiatry. 2001;49:1055–61. [PubMed] 51. Cuddy-Casey M, Orvaschel H. Children's understanding of death in relation to child suicidality and homicidality. Clin Psychol Rev. 1997;17:33–45. [PubMed] 52. Pfeffer CR. Childhood suicidal behavior. A developmental perspective. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1997;20:551–62. [PubMed] 53. Bolger N, Downey G, Walker E, et al. The onset of suicidal ideation in childhood and adolescence. J Youth Adolesc. 1989;18:175–90. [PubMed] 54. Roy A. Family history of suicidal behavior and earlier onset of suicidal behavior. Psychiatry Res. 2004;129:217–19. [PubMed] 55. Goldstein RB, Black DW, Nasrallah A, et al. The prediction of suicide. Sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value of a multivariate model applied to suicide among 1906 patients with affective disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48:418–22. [PubMed] 56. Joiner TE, Conwell Y, Fitzpatrick KK, et al. Four studies on how past and current suicidality relate even when “everything but the kitchen sink” is covaried. J Abnorm Psychol. 2005;114:291–303. [PubMed] 57. Borges G, Angst J, Nock MK, et al. A risk index for 12-month suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R) Psychol Med. 2006;36:1747–57. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 58. Borges G, Angst J, Nock MK, et al. Risk factors for the incidence and persistence of suicide-related outcomes: a 10-year follow-up study using the National Comorbidity Surveys. J Affect Disord. 2008;105:25–33. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 59. Michel K, Ballinari P, Bille-Brahe U, et al. Methods used for parasuicide: results of the WHO/EURO Multicentre Study on Parasuicide. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2000;35:156–63. [PubMed] 60. De Leo D, Padoani W, Scocco P, et al. Attempted and completed suicide in older subjects: results from the WHO/EURO Multicentre Study of Suicidal Behaviour. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2001;16:300–10. [PubMed] 61. Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A. Suicidal behavior prevention: WHO perspectives on research. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2005;133:8–12. [PubMed] 62. Fleischmann A, Bertolote JM, De Leo D, et al. Characteristics of attempted suicides seen in emergency-care settings of general hospitals in eight low- and middle-income countries. Psychol Med. 2005;35:1467–74. [PubMed] 63. Statham DJ, Heath AC, Madden PA, et al. Suicidal behaviour: an epidemiological and genetic study. Psychol Med. 1998;28:839–55. [PubMed] 64. Gibb S, Beautrais A. Epidemiology of attempted suicide in Canterbury Province, New Zealand (1993–2002) N Z Med J. 2004;117:U1141. Electronic article. [PubMed] 65. Beautrais AL. Suicide and serious suicide attempts in youth: a multiple-group comparison study. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1093–9. [PubMed] 66. Brent DA, Perper JA, Goldstein CE, et al. Risk factors for adolescent suicide. A comparison of adolescent suicide victims with suicidal inpatients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;45:581–8. [PubMed] 67. Brent DA, Perper JA, Moritz G, et al. Psychiatric risk factors for adolescent suicide: a case-control study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993;32:521–9. [PubMed] 68. Vijayakumar L, John S, Pirkis J, et al. Suicide in developing countries (2): risk factors. Crisis. 2005;26:112–19. [PubMed] 69. Beautrais AL. Gender issues in youth suicidal behaviour. Emerg Med (Fremantle) 2002;14:35–42. [PubMed] 70. Mann JJ, Waternaux C, Haas GL, et al. Toward a clinical model of suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1999;156:181–9. [PubMed] 71. Shaffer D, Gould MS, Fisher P, et al. Psychiatric diagnosis in child and adolescent suicide. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996;53:339–48. [PubMed] 72. Vijayakumar L, Rajkumar S. Are risk factors for suicide universal? A case-control study in India. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1999;99:407–11. [PubMed] 73. Gould MS, King R, Greenwald S, et al. Psychopathology associated with suicidal ideation and attempts among children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998;37:915–23. [PubMed] 74. Petronis KR, Samuels JF, Moscicki EK, et al. An epidemiologic investigation of potential risk factors for suicide attempts. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1990;25:193–9. [PubMed] 75. Cavanagh JT, Carson AJ, Sharpe M, et al. Psychological autopsy studies of suicide: a systematic review. Psychol Med. 2003;33:395–405. [PubMed] 76. Phillips MR, Yang G, Zhang Y, et al. Risk factors for suicide in China: a national case-control psychological autopsy study. Lancet. 2002;360:1728–36. [PubMed] 77. Vijayakumar L. Suicide and mental disorders in Asia. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2005;17:109–14. [PubMed]
78. Linehan MM, Rizvi SL, Welch SS, et al. Psychiatric aspects of suicidal behaviour: personality disorders. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 147–78.
79. Yen S, Shea MT, Pagano M, et al. Axis I and axis II disorders as predictors of prospective suicide attempts: findings from the Collaborative Longitudinal Personality Disorders Study. J Abnorm Psychol. 2003;112:375–81. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 80. Hawton K, Houston K, Haw C, et al. Comorbidity of axis I and axis II disorders in patients who attempted suicide. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1494–500. [PubMed] 81. Shafii M, Carrigan S, Whittinghill JR, et al. Psychological autopsy of completed suicide in children and adolescents. Am J Psychiatry. 1985;142:1061–4. [PubMed] 82. Shafii M, Steltz-Lenarsky J, Derrick AM, et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders in the post-mortem diagnosis of completed suicide in children and adolescents. J Affect Disord. 1988;15:227–33. [PubMed] 83. Beck AT, Steer RA, Kovacs M, et al. Hopelessness and eventual suicide: a 10-year prospective study of patients hospitalized with suicidal ideation. Am J Psychiatry. 1985;142:559–63. [PubMed] 84. Brown GK, Beck AT, Steer RA, et al. Risk factors for suicide in psychiatric outpatients: a 20-year prospective study. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2000;68:371–7. [PubMed] 85. Brezo J, Paris J, Turecki G. Personality traits as correlates of suicidal ideation, suicide attempts, and suicide completions: a systematic review. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2006;113:180–206. [PubMed] 86. Fawcett J, Scheftner WA, Fogg L, et al. Time-related predictors of suicide in major affective disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1990;147:1189–94. [PubMed] 87. Fawcett J. Treating impulsivity and anxiety in the suicidal patient. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;932:94–102. [PubMed] 88. Fawcett J, Busch KA, Jacobs D, et al. Suicide: a four-pathway clinical-biochemical model. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;836:288–301. [PubMed] 89. Zouk H, Tousignant M, Seguin M, et al. Characterization of impulsivity in suicide completers: clinical, behavioral and psychosocial dimensions. J Affect Disord. 2006;92:195–204. [PubMed] 90. Nock MK, Wedig MM, Holmberg EB, et al. Emotion reactivity scale: psychometric evaluation and relation to self-injurious thoughts and behaviors. Behav Ther. in press. [PubMed] 91. Baumeister RF. Suicide as escape from self. Psychol Rev. 1990;97:90–113. [PubMed] 92. Hawton K, Cole D, O'Grady J, et al. Motivational aspects of deliberate self-poisoning in adolescents. Br J Psychiatry. 1982;141:286–91. [PubMed]
93. Williams JMG, Pollock LR. The psychology of suicidal behaviour. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. The international handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 79–94.
94. Baldessarini RJ, Hennen J. Genetics of suicide: an overview. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2004;12:1–13. [PubMed] 95. Joiner TE, Jr, Brown JS, Wingate LR. The psychology and neurobiology of suicidal behavior. Annu Rev Psychol. 2005;56:287–314. [PubMed] 96. Roy A, Segal NL. Suicidal behavior in twins: a replication. J Affect Disord. 2001;66:71–4. [PubMed] 97. Roy A, Segal NL, Centerwall BS, et al. Suicide in twins. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48:29–32. [PubMed] 98. Fu Q, Heath AC, Bucholz KK, et al. A twin study of genetic and environmental influences on suicidality in men. Psychol Med. 2002;32:11–24. [PubMed] 99. Glowinski AL, Bucholz KK, Nelson EC, et al. Suicide attempts in an adolescent female twin sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:1300–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
100. Kendler KS, Prescott CA. Genes, environment, and psychopathology: understanding the causes of psychiatric and substance use disorders. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2007.
101. Mann JJ. Neurobiology of suicidal behaviour. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2003;4:819–28. [PubMed] 102. Kendler KS. “A gene for…”: the nature of gene action in psychiatric disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1243–52. [PubMed] 103. Kendler KS. Toward a philosophical structure for psychiatry. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:433–40. [PubMed] 104. Baca-Garcia E, Vaquero C, Diaz-Sastre C, et al. A gender-specific association between the serotonin transporter gene and suicide attempts. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002;26:692–5. [PubMed] 105. Yen FC, Hong CJ, Hou SJ, et al. Association study of serotonin transporter gene VNTR polymorphism and mood disorders, onset age and suicide attempts in a Chinese sample. Neuropsychobiology. 2003;48:5–9. [PubMed] 106. Caspi A, Sugden K, Moffitt TE, et al. Influence of life stress on depression: moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HTT gene. Science. 2003;301:386–9. [PubMed] 107. Mann JJ, Malone KM, Nielsen DA, et al. Possible association of a polymorphism of the tryptophan hydroxylase gene with suicidal behavior in depressed patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:1451–3. [PubMed] 108. De Luca V, Hlousek D, Likhodi O, et al. The interaction between TPH2 promoter haplotypes and clinical-demographic risk factors in suicide victims with major psychoses. Genes Brain Behav. 2006;5:107–10. [PubMed] 109. Courtet P, Baud P, Abbar M, et al. Association between violent suicidal behavior and the low activity allele of the serotonin transporter gene. Mol Psychiatry. 2001;6:338–41. [PubMed] 110. Asberg M, Traskman L, Thoren P. 5-HIAA in the cerebrospinal fluid. A biochemical suicide predictor? Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1976;33:1193–7. [PubMed] 111. Roggenbach J, Muller-Oerlinghausen B, Franke L. Suicidality, impulsivity and aggression—is there a link to 5HIAA concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid? Psychiatry Res. 2002;113:193–206. [PubMed] 112. Samuelsson M, Jokinen J, Nordstrom AL, et al. CSF 5-HIAA, suicide intent and hopelessness in the prediction of early suicide in male high-risk suicide attempters. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2006;113:44–7. [PubMed] 113. Mann JJ, Malone KM. Cerebrospinal fluid amines and higher-lethality suicide attempts in depressed inpatients. Biol Psychiatry. 1997;41:162–71. [PubMed] 114. Pandey GN. Altered serotonin function in suicide: evidence from platelet and neuroendocrine studies. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;836:182–201. [PubMed] 115. Mann JJ, McBride PA, Brown RP, et al. Relationship between central and peripheral serotonin indexes in depressed and suicidal psychiatric inpatients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:442–6. [PubMed] 116. Oquendo MA, Placidi GP, Malone KM, et al. Positron emission tomography of regional brain metabolic responses to a serotonergic challenge and lethality of suicide attempts in major depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:14–22. [PubMed]
117. Traskman-Bendz L, Mann JJ. Biological aspects of suicidal behaviour. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. The international handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 65–77.
118. Virkkunen M, Rawlings R, Tokola R, et al. CSF biochemistries, glucose metabolism, and diurnal activity rhythms in alcoholic, violent offenders, fire setters, and healthy volunteers. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994;51:20–7. [PubMed] 119. Yen S, Pagano ME, Shea MT, et al. Recent life events preceding suicide attempts in a personality disorder sample: findings from the Collaborative Longitudinal Personality Disorders Study. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2005;73:99–105. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 120. Brent DA, Perper JA, Moritz G, et al. Stressful life events, psychopathology, and adolescent suicide: a case control study. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1993;23:179–87. [PubMed] 121. Center C, Davis M, Detre T, et al. Confronting depression and suicide in physicians: a consensus statement. JAMA. 2003;289:3161–6. [PubMed] 122. Mahon MJ, Tobin JP, Cusack DA, et al. Suicide among regular-duty military personnel: a retrospective case-control study of occupation-specific risk factors for workplace suicide. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1688–96. [PubMed] 123. Helmkamp JC. Occupation and suicide among males in the US Armed Forces. Ann Epidemiol. 1996;6:83–8. [PubMed] 124. Boxer PA, Burnett C, Swanson N. Suicide and occupation: a review of the literature. J Occup Environ Med. 1995;37:442–52. [PubMed] 125. Marzuk PM, Nock MK, Leon AC, et al. Suicide among New York City police officers, 1977–1996. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:2069–71. [PubMed] 126. Violanti JM, Vena JE, Marshall JR. Suicides, homicides, and accidental death: a comparative risk assessment of police officers and municipal workers. Am J Ind Med. 1996;30:99–104. [PubMed] 127. Agerbo E, Gunnell D, Bonde JP, et al. Suicide and occupation: the impact of socio-economic, demographic and psychiatric differences. Psychol Med. 2007;37:1131–40. [PubMed] 128. Riordan DV, Selvaraj S, Stark C, et al. Perinatal circumstances and risk of offspring suicide. Birth cohort study. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;189:502–7. [PubMed] 129. Glassman LH, Weierich MR, Hooley JM, et al. Child maltreatment, non-suicidal self-injury, and the mediating role of self-criticism. Behav Res Ther. 2007;45:2483–90. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 130. Wedig MM, Nock MK. Parental expressed emotion and adolescent self-injury. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:1171–8. [PubMed] 131. Joiner TE, Jr, Sachs-Ericsson NJ, Wingate LR, et al. Childhood physical and sexual abuse and lifetime number of suicide attempts: a persistent and theoretically important relationship. Behav Res Ther. 2007;45:539–47. [PubMed] 132. Salk L, Lipsitt LP, Sturner WQ, et al. Relationship of maternal and perinatal conditions to eventual adolescent suicide. Lancet. 1985;1:624–7. [PubMed] 133. Marzuk PM, Leon AC, Tardiff K, et al. The effect of access to lethal methods of injury on suicide rates. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:451–8. [PubMed] 134. Beautrais A, Fergusson D, Coggan C, et al. Effective strategies for suicide prevention in New Zealand: a review of the evidence. N Z Med J. 2007;120:U2459. Electronic article. [PubMed] 135. Mann JJ, Apter A, Bertolote J, et al. Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review. JAMA. 2005;294:2064–74. [PubMed] 136. Conwell Y, Duberstein PR, Caine ED. Risk factors for suicide in later life. Biol Psychiatry. 2002;52:193–204. [PubMed]
137. Stenager EN, Stenager E. Physical illness and suicidal behaviour. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 405–20.
138. de Graaf R, Sandfort TG, ten Have M. Suicidality and sexual orientation: differences between men and women in a general population-based sample from the Netherlands. Arch Sex Behav. 2006;35:253–62. [PubMed] 139. Herrell R, Goldberg J, True WR, et al. Sexual orientation and suicidality: a co-twin control study in adult men. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:867–74. [PubMed] 140. Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ, Beautrais AL. Is sexual orientation related to mental health problems and suicidality in young people? Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:876–80. [PubMed] 141. Gould MS, Wallenstein S, Kleinman M. Time-space clustering of teenage suicide. Am J Epidemiol. 1990;131:71–8. [PubMed] 142. Gould MS. Teenage suicide clusters. JAMA. 1990;263:2051–2. [PubMed] 143. Joiner T. Contagion of suicidal symptoms as a function of assortative relating and shared relationship stress in college roommates. J Adolesc. 2003;26:495–504. [PubMed] 144. Gould MS. Suicide and the media. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;932:200–21. [PubMed] 145. Dixon PG, McDonald AN, Scheitlin KN, et al. Effects of temperature variation on suicide in five U.S. counties, 1991–2001. Int J Biometeorol. 2007;51:395–403. [PubMed] 146. Nakaji S, Parodi S, Fontana V, et al. Seasonal changes in mortality rates from main causes of death in Japan (1970–1999) Eur J Epidemiol. 2004;19:905–13. [PubMed] 147. Preti A, Miotto P, De Coppi M. Season and suicide: recent findings from Italy. Crisis. 2000;21:59–70. [PubMed] 148. Petridou E, Papadopoulos FC, Frangakis CE, et al. A role of sunshine in the triggering of suicide. Epidemiology. 2002;13:106–9. [PubMed] 149. Garroutte EM, Goldberg J, Beals J, et al. Spirituality and attempted suicide among American Indians. Soc Sci Med. 2003;56:1571–9. [PubMed] 150. Dervic K, Oquendo MA, Grunebaum MF, et al. Religious affiliation and suicide attempt. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:2303–8. [PubMed] 151. Clarke CS, Bannon FJ, Denihan A. Suicide and religiosity—Masaryk's theory revisited. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2003;38:502–6. [PubMed] 152. Blum RW, Halcon L, Beuhring T, et al. Adolescent health in the Caribbean: risk and protective factors. Am J Public Health. 2003;93:456–60. [PubMed] 153. Oquendo MA, Dragatsi D, Harkavy-Friedman J, et al. Protective factors against suicidal behavior in Latinos. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2005;193:438–43. [PubMed] 154. Meadows LA, Kaslow NJ, Thompson MP, et al. Protective factors against suicide attempt risk among African American women experiencing intimate partner violence. Am J Community Psychol. 2005;36:109–21. [PubMed] 155. Resnick MD, Bearman PS, Blum RW, et al. Protecting adolescents from harm. Findings from the National Longitudinal Study on Adolescent Health. JAMA. 1997;278:823–32. [PubMed] 156. O'Donnell L, O'Donnell C, Wardlaw DM, et al. Risk and resiliency factors influencing suicidality among urban African American and Latino youth. Am J Community Psychol. 2004;33:37–49. [PubMed] 157. Anteghini M, Fonseca H, Ireland M, et al. Health risk behaviors and associated risk and protective factors among Brazilian adolescents in Santos, Brazil. J Adolesc Health. 2001;28:295–302. [PubMed] 158. Marion MS, Range LM. African American college women's suicide buffers. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2003;33:33–43. [PubMed] 159. Borowsky IW, Ireland M, Resnick MD. Adolescent suicide attempts: risks and protectors. Pediatrics. 2001;107:485–93. [PubMed] 160. Marzuk PM, Tardiff K, Leon AC, et al. Lower risk of suicide during pregnancy. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:122–3. [PubMed] 161. Qin P, Mortensen PB. The impact of parental status on the risk of completed suicide. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:797–802. [PubMed] 162. Kreitman N. The coal gas story. United Kingdom suicide rates, 1960–71. Br J Prev Soc Med. 1976;30:86–93. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
163. Carrington PJ. Gender, gun control, suicide and homicide in Canada. Arch Suicide Res. 1999;5:71–5.
164. Bridges FS. Gun control law (Bill C-17), suicide, and homicide in Canada. Psychol Rep. 2004;94:819–26. [PubMed] 165. Oliver RG, Hetzel BS. Rise and fall of suicide rates in Australia: relation to sedative availability. Med J Aust. 1972;2:919–23. [PubMed] 166. Lester D. The effect of the detoxification of domestic gas in Switzerland on the suicide rate. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1990;82:383–4. [PubMed] 167. Rutz W, von Knorring L, Walinder J. Frequency of suicide on Gotland after systematic postgraduate education of general practitioners. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1989;80:151–4. [PubMed] 168. Rihmer Z, Belso N, Kalmar S. Antidepressants and suicide prevention in Hungary. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2001;103:238–9. [PubMed] 169. Takahashi K, Naito H, Morita M, et al. Suicide prevention for the elderly in Matsunoyama Town, Higashikubiki County, Niigata Prefecture: psychiatric care for elderly depression in the community. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 1998;100:469–85. In Japanese. [PubMed] 170. Szanto K, Kalmar S, Hendin H, et al. A suicide prevention program in a region with a very high suicide rate. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:914–20. [PubMed] 171. Demyttenaere K, Bruffaerts R, Posada-Villa J, et al. Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. JAMA. 2004;291:2581–90. [PubMed] 172. Vijayakumar L. Suicide prevention: the urgent need in developing countries. World Psychiatry. 2004;3:158–9. [PubMed] 173. Vijayakumar L, Pirkis J, Whiteford H. Suicide in developing countries (3): prevention efforts. Crisis. 2005;26:120–4. [PubMed]
174. United Nations. Prevention of suicide guidelines for the formulation and implementation of national strategies. New York, NY: United Nations; 1996.
175. Jenkins R, Singh B. General population strategies of suicide prevention. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, editors. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. 1st. Chichester, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons; 2000. pp. 631–44.
176. Weed JA. Suicide in the United States: 1958–1982. In: Taube CA, Barrett SA, editors. Mental health, United States, 1985. Rockville, MD: National Institute of Mental Health; 1985. DHHS publication no. (ADM) 85-1378.
177. Ajdacic-Gross V, Bopp M, Gostynski M, et al. Age-period-cohort analysis of Swiss suicide data, 1881–2000. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006;256:207–14. [PubMed] 178. Power TG, Stewart CD, Hughes SO, et al. Predicting patterns of adolescent alcohol use: a longitudinal study. J Stud Alcohol. 2005;66:74–81. [PubMed] 179. Ridenour TA, Lanza ST, Donny EC, et al. Different lengths of times for progressions in adolescent substance involvement. Addict Behav. 2006;31:962–83. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 180. Sartor CE, Lynskey MT, Bucholz KK, et al. Childhood sexual abuse and the course of alcohol dependence development: findings from a female twin sample. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007;89:139–44. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 181. Brown GK, Ten Have T, Henriques GR, et al. Cognitive therapy for the prevention of suicide attempts: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;294:563–70. [PubMed] 182. Linehan MM, Comtois KA, Murray AM, et al. Two-year randomized controlled trial and follow-up of dialectical behavior therapy vs therapy by experts for suicidal behaviors and borderline personality disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006;63:757–66. [PubMed] 183. Heisler M, Halasyamani L, Resnicow K, et al. “I am not alone”: the feasibility and acceptability of interactive voice response-facilitated telephone peer support among older adults with heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2007;13:149–57. [PubMed] 184. Kim H, Bracha Y, Tipnis A. Automated depression screening in disadvantaged pregnant women in an urban obstetric clinic. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2007;10:163–9. [PubMed] 185. Academic ED SBIRT Research Collaborative. The impact of screening, brief intervention, and referral for treatment on emergency department patients' alcohol use. Ann Emerg Med. 2007;50:699–710. [PubMed] 186. Tomic ST, Janata P. Ensemble: a web-based system for psychology survey and experiment management. Behav Res Methods. 2007;39:635–50. [PubMed] 187. Smith B, Smith TC, Gray GC, et al. When epidemiology meets the Internet: Web-based surveys in the Millennium Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166:1345–54. [PubMed] 188. Rademacher JD, Lippke S. Dynamic online surveys and experiments with the free open-source software dynQuest. Behav Res Methods. 2007;39:415–26. [PubMed] 190. Tourangeau R, Yan T. Sensitive questions in surveys. Psychol Bull. 2007;133:859–83. [PubMed] 191. Turner CF, Ku L, Rogers SM, et al. Adolescent sexual behavior, drug use, and violence: increased reporting with computer survey technology. Science. 1998;280:867–73. [PubMed] 192. Kessler RC, Ustün TB. The World Mental Health (WMH) Survey Initiative Version of the World Health Organization (WHO) Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI) Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2004;13:93–121. [PubMed] 193. Safer DJ. Self-reported suicide attempts by adolescents. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 1997;9:263–9. [PubMed] 194. Evans E, Hawton K, Rodham K, et al. The prevalence of suicidal phenomena in adolescents: a systematic review of population-based studies. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2005;35:239–50. [PubMed] 195. Nock MK, Banaji MR. Prediction of suicide ideation and attempts among adolescents using a brief performance-based test. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2007;75:707–15. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 196. Nock MK, Banaji MR. Assessment of self-injurious thoughts using a behavioral test. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:820–3. [PubMed] 197. Wang PS, Lane M, Olfson M, et al. Twelve-month use of mental health services in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:629–40. [PubMed] 198. Wang PS, Berglund P, Olfson M, et al. Failure and delay in initial treatment contact after first onset of mental disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:603–13. [PubMed] 199. Gibbons RD, Brown CH, Hur K, et al. Relationship between antidepressants and suicide attempts: an analysis of the Veterans Health Administration data sets. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1044–9. [PubMed] 200. Gibbons RD, Hur K, Bhaumik DK, et al. The relationship between antidepressant medication use and rate of suicide. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:165–72. [PubMed] 201. Gibbons RD, Hur K, Bhaumik DK, et al. The relationship between antidepressant prescription rates and rate of early adolescent suicide. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:1898–904. [PubMed] 202. Isacsson G. Suicide prevention—a medical breakthrough? Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2000;102:113–17. [PubMed] 203. Gibbons RD, Brown CH, Hur K, et al. Early evidence on the effects of regulators' suicidality warnings on SSRI prescriptions and suicide in children and adolescents. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1356–63. [PubMed] 204. Nemeroff CB, Kalali A, Keller MB, et al. Impact of publicity concerning pediatric suicidality data on physician practice patterns in the United States. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:466–72. [PubMed] 205. Knox KL, Litts DA, Talcott GW, et al. Risk of suicide and related adverse outcomes after exposure to a suicide prevention programme in the US Air Force: cohort study. BMJ. 2003;327:1376. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 206. Motto JA, Bostrom AG. A randomized controlled trial of postcrisis suicide prevention. Psychiatr Serv. 2001;52:828–33. [PubMed] 207. Dube SR, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, et al. Childhood abuse, household dysfunction, and the risk of attempted suicide throughout the life span: findings from the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. JAMA. 2001;286:3089–96. [PubMed] 208. Kuo WH, Gallo JJ, Tien AY. Incidence of suicide ideation and attempts in adults: the 13-year follow-up of a community sample in Baltimore, Maryland. Psychol Med. 2001;31:1181–91. [PubMed] 209. Ialongo N, McCreary BK, Pearson JL, et al. Suicidal behavior among urban, African American young adults. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2002;32:256–71. [PubMed] 210. Joe S, Baser RE, Breeden G, et al. Prevalence of and risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts among blacks in the United States. JAMA. 2006;296:2112–23. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 211. Fortuna LR, Perez DJ, Canino G, et al. Prevalence and correlates of lifetime suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among Latino subgroups in the United States. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:572–81. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 212. Brenner ND, Hassan SS, Barrios LC. Suicidal ideation among college students in the United States. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999;67:1004–8. [PubMed] 213. Alaimo K, Olson CM, Frongillo EA. Family food insufficiency, but not low family income, is positively associated with dysthymia and suicide symptoms in adolescents. J Nutr. 2002;132:719–25. [PubMed] 214. Eisenberg ME, Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M. Associations of weight-based teasing and emotional well-being among adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003;157:733–8. [PubMed] 215. Waldrop AE, Hanson RF, Resnick HS, et al. Risk factors for suicidal behavior among a national sample of adolescents: implications for prevention. J Trauma Stress. 2007;20:869–79. [PubMed] 216. King RA, Schwab-Stone M, Flisher AJ, et al. Psychosocial and risk behavior correlates of youth suicide attempts and suicidal ideation. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:837–46. [PubMed] 217. Kebede D, Alem A. Suicide attempts and ideation among adults in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl. 1999;397:35–9. [PubMed] 218. Akyuz G, Sar V, Kugu N, et al. Reported childhood trauma, attempted suicide and self-mutilative behavior among women in the general population. Eur Psychiatry. 2005;20:268–73. [PubMed] 219. Kjoller M, Helweg-Larsen M. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among adult Danes. Scand J Public Health. 2000;28:54–61. [PubMed] 220. Ramberg IL, Wasserman D. Prevalence of reported suicidal behaviour in the general population and mental health-care staff. Psychol Med. 2000;30:1189–96. [PubMed] 221. Renberg ES. Self-reported life-weariness, death-wishes, suicidal ideation, suicidal plans and suicide attempts in general population surveys in the north of Sweden 1986 and 1996. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2001;36:429–36. [PubMed] 222. Rancans E, Lapins J, Salander Renberg E, et al. Self-reported suicidal and help seeking behaviours in the general population in Latvia. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2003;38:18–26. [PubMed] 223. Crawford MJ, Nur U, McKenzie K, et al. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among ethnic minority groups in England: results of a national household survey. Psychol Med. 2005;35:1369–77. [PubMed] 224. De Leo D, Cerin E, Spathonis K, et al. Lifetime risk of suicide ideation and attempts in an Australian community: prevalence, suicidal process, and help-seeking behaviour. J Affect Disord. 2005;86:215–24. [PubMed] 225. Mohammadi MR, Ghanizadeh A, Rahgozart M, et al. Suicidal attempt and psychiatric disorders in Iran. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2005;35:309–16. [PubMed] 226. Agoub M, Moussaoui D, Kadri N. Assessment of suicidality in a Moroccan metropolitan area. J Affect Disord. 2006;90:223–6. [PubMed] 227. Beautrais AL, Wells JE, McGee MA, et al. Suicidal behaviour in Te Rau Hinengaro: The New Zealand Mental Health Survey. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2006;40:896–904. [PubMed] 228. Liu KY, Chen EY, Chan CL, et al. Socio-economic and psychological correlates of suicidality among Hong Kong working-age adults: results from a population-based survey. Psychol Med. 2006;36:1759–67. [PubMed] 229. Ovuga E, Boardman J, Wasserman D. Undergraduate student mental health at Makerere University, Uganda. World Psychiatry. 2006;5:51–2. [PubMed] 230. Tran Thi Thanh H, Tran TN, Jiang GX, et al. Life time suicidal thoughts in an urban community in Hanoi, Vietnam. BMC Public Health. 2006;6:76. Electronic article. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 231. Bernal M, Haro JM, Bernert S, et al. Risk factors for suicidality in Europe: results from the ESEMED study. J Affect Disord. 2007;101:27–34. [PubMed] 232. Bromet EJ, Havenaar JM, Tintle N, et al. Suicide ideation, plans and attempts in Ukraine: findings from the Ukraine World Mental Health Survey. Psychol Med. 2007;37:807–19. [PubMed] 233. Gureje O, Kola L, Uwakwe R, et al. The profile and risks of suicidal behaviours in the Nigerian Survey of Mental Health and Well-Being. Psychol Med. 2007;37:821–30. [PubMed] 234. Lee S, Fung SC, Tsang A, et al. Lifetime prevalence of suicide ideation, plan, and attempt in metropolitan China. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2007;116:429–37. [PubMed] 235. Nojomi M, Malakouti SK, Bolhari J, et al. A predictor model for suicide attempt: evidence from a population-based study. Arch Iran Med. 2007;10:452–8. [PubMed] 236. Borges G, Nock MK, Medina-Mora ME, et al. The epidemiology of suicide-related outcomes in Mexico. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2008;37:627–40. [PubMed] 237. Hintikka J, Viinamaki H, Tanskanen A, et al. Suicidal ideation and parasuicide in the Finnish general population. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1998;98:23–7. [PubMed] 238. Gunnell D, Harbord R, Singleton N, et al. Factors influencing the development and amelioration of suicidal thoughts in the general population. Cohort study. Br J Psychiatry. 2004;185:385–93. [PubMed] 239. Fairweather AK, Anstey KJ, Rodgers B, et al. Age and gender differences among Australian suicide ideators: prevalence and correlates. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2007;195:130–6. [PubMed] 240. Olsson GI, von Knorring AL. Adolescent depression: prevalence in Swedish high-school students. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1999;99:324–31. [PubMed] 241. Elklit A. Victimization and PTSD in a Danish national youth probability sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002;41:174–81. [PubMed] 242. Gmitrowicz A, Szymczak W, Kropiwnicki P, et al. Gender influence in suicidal behaviour of Polish adolescents. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;12:205–13. [PubMed] 243. Toros F, Bilgin NG, Sasmaz T, et al. Suicide attempts and risk factors among children and adolescents. Yonsei Med J. 2004;45:367–74. [PubMed] 244. Zemaitiene N, Zaborskis A. Suicidal tendencies and attitude towards freedom to choose suicide among Lithuanian schoolchildren: results from three cross-sectional studies in 1994, 1998, and 2002. BMC Public Health. 2005;5:83. Electronic article. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 245. Young R, Sweeting H, West P. Prevalence of deliberate self harm and attempted suicide within contemporary Goth youth subculture: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ. 2006;332:1058–61. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 246. Sidhartha T, Jena S. Suicidal behaviors in adolescents. Indian J Pediatr. 2006;73:783–8. [PubMed] 247. Dervic K, Akkaya-Kalayci T, Kapusta ND, et al. Suicidal ideation among Viennese high school students. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2007;119:174–80. [PubMed] 248. Silviken A, Kvernmo S. Suicide attempts among indigenous Sami adolescents and majority peers in Arctic Norway: prevalence and associated risk factors. J Adolesc. 2007;30:613–26. [PubMed] 249. Rey Gex C, Narring F, Ferron C, et al. Suicide attempts among adolescents in Switzerland: prevalence, associated factors and comorbidity. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1998;98:28–33. [PubMed] 250. Tousignant M, Habimana E, Biron C, et al. The Quebec Adolescent Refugee Project: psychopathology and family variables in a sample from 35 nations. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:1426–32. [PubMed] 251. Miauton L, Narring F, Michaud PA. Chronic illness, life style and emotional health in adolescence: results of a cross-sectional survey on the health of 15–20-year-olds in Switzerland. Eur J Pediatr. 2003;162:682–9. [PubMed] 252. Yip PS, Liu KY, Lam TH, et al. Suicidality among high school students in Hong Kong, SAR. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2004;34:284–97. [PubMed] 253. Rodriguez AH, Caldera T, Kullgren G, et al. Suicidal expressions among young people in Nicaragua: a community-based study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2006;41:692–7. [PubMed] 254. Rudatsikira E, Muula AS, Siziya S. Prevalence and associated factors of suicidal ideation among school-going adolescents in Guyana: results from a cross sectional study. Clin Pract Epidemol Ment Health. 2007;3:13. Electronic article. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 255. Kaltiala-Heino R, Rimpela M, Marttunen M, et al. Bullying, depression, and suicidal ideation in Finnish adolescents: school survey. BMJ. 1999;319:348–51. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 256. Khokher S, Khan MM. Suicidal ideation in Pakistani college students. Crisis. 2005;26:125–7. [PubMed] 257. Liu X, Tein JY, Zhao Z, et al. Suicidality and correlates among rural adolescents of China. J Adolesc Health. 2005;37:443–51. [PubMed] 258. Ponizovsky AM, Ritsner MS, Modai I. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among immigrant adolescents from the former Soviet Union to Israel. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:1433–41. [PubMed]