1. Diez‐Roux A, Nieto F, Muntaner C. et al Neighbourhood environments and coronary heart disease. Am J Epidemiol 1997. 14648–63.63. [PubMed] 2. Yen I H, Kaplan G A. Poverty area residence and changes in depression and perceived health status: evidence from the Alameda County study. Int J Epidemiol 1999. 2890–94.94. [PubMed] 3. Diez Roux A. Estimating neighbourhood health effects: the challenges of causal inference in a complex world. Soc Sci Med 2004. 581953–1960.1960. [PubMed] 4. Pickett K, Pearl M. Multilevel analyses of neighbourhood socioeconomic context and health outcomes: a critical review. J Epidemiol Community Health 2001. 55111–122.122. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
5. Kawachi I, Berkman L. Introduction. In: Neighbourhoods and health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. 4–19.19.
6. Acheson D. Independent inquiry into inequalities in health. London: Stationery Office, 1998.
7. Kearns A, Gibb K, Mackay D. Area deprivation in Scotland: a new assessment. Urban Studies 2000. 371535–1559.1559.
8. Macintyre S, Maciver S, Sooman A. Area, class and health: should we be focusing on places or people? J Soc Policy 1993. 22213–234.234.
9. Baum F, Palmer C. ‘Opportunity structure': urban landscape,social capital and health promotion in Australia. Health Promotion International 2002. 17351–361.361. [PubMed] 10. Pearce N, Davey Smith G. Is social capital the key to inequalities in health? Am J Public Health 2003. 93122–129.129. [PubMed] 11. Barnett R, Pearce J, Moon G. Does social inequality matter? Assessing the effects of changing ethnic socio‐economic disparities on Maori smoking in New Zealand, 1981–96. Soc Sci Med 2005. 601515–1526.1526. [PubMed] 12. Breeze E, Jones D, Wilkinson P. et al Area deprivation, social class, and quality of life among people aged 75 years and over in Britain. Int J Epidemiol 2005. 34276–283.283. [PubMed]
13. Collins C, Williams D. Segregation and mortality: the deadly effects of racism. Sociological Forum 1999. 14495–523.523.
14. Young A, Russell A, Powers J. The sense of belonging to a neighbourhood: can it be measured and is it related to health and well being in older women? Soc Sci Med 2004. 592627–2637.2637. [PubMed] 15. Brunekreef B, Holgate S. Air pollution and health. Lancet 2002. 3601233–1242.1242. [PubMed] 16. Pearce J, Boyle P. Examining the relationship between lung cancer and radon in small areas across Scotland. Health and Place 2005. 11275–282.282. [PubMed]
17. Knox P. Residential structure, facility location and patterns of accessibility. In: Cox K, Johnston R, eds. Conflict, politics and the urban scene. London: Longman, 1982. 62–87.87.
18. Office of the Deputy Prime Minister The English indices of deprivation 2004. London: Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, 2004.
19. Field A, Witten K, Robinson E. et al Who gets to what? Access to community resources in two New Zealand cities. Urban Policy and Research 2004. 22189–205.205.
20. Cummins S, Macintyre S. “Food deserts”—evidence and assumption in health policy making. BMJ 2002. 325436–439.439. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
21. Cummins S, Macintyre S. A systematic study of an urban foodscape: the price and availability of food in greater Glasgow. Urban Stud 2002. 392115–2130.2130.
22. Social Exclusion Unit Bringing Britain together: a national strategy for neighbourhood renewal. London: HMSO, 1998.
23. Caughy M, O'Campo P, Brodsky A. Neighborhoods, families, and children: implications for policy and practice. J Community Psychol 1999. 27615–633.633.
24. Li F, Fisher K, Brownson R. et al Multilevel modelling of built environment characteristics related to neighbourhood walking activity in older adults. J Epidemiol Community Health 2005. 59558–564.564. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 25. Giles‐Corti B, Broomhall M, Knuiman M. et al Increasing walking: how important is distance to, attractiveness, and size of public open space? Am J Prev Med 2005. 28169–176.176. [PubMed] 26. Lovett A, Haynes R, Sünnenberg G. et al Car travel time and accessibility by bus to general practitioner services: a study using patient registers and GIS. Soc Sci Med 2002. 5597–111.111. [PubMed] 27. Macintyre S, Ellaway A, Cummins S. Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them? Soc Sci Med 2002. 55125–139.139. [PubMed] 28. Ellaway A, Anderson A, Macintyre S. Does area of residence affect body size and shape? Int J Obes 1997. 21304–308.308. [PubMed] 29. Ellaway A, Macintyre S. Does housing tenure predict health in the UK because it exposes people to different levels of housing related hazards in the home or its surroundings? Health and Place 1998. 4141–150.150. [PubMed] 30. Altschuler A, Somkin C, Adler N. Local services and amenities, neighbourhood social capital, and health. Soc Sci Med 2004. 591219–1229.1229. [PubMed] 31. Kubzansky L, Subramanian S, Kawachi I. et al Neighborhood contextual influences on depressive symptoms in the elderly. Am J Epidemiol 2005. 162253–260.260. [PubMed] 32. Cummins S, Macintyre S, Davidson S. et al Measuring neighbourhood social and material context: generation and interpretation of ecological data from routine and non‐routine sources. Health and Place 2005. 11249–260.260. [PubMed]
33. Luginaah I, Jerrett M, Elliott S. et al Health profiles of Hamilton: spatial characterisation of neighbourhoods for health investigations. GeoJournal 2001. 53135–147.147.
34. Chuang Y, Cubbin C, Ahn D. et al Effects of neighbourhood socioeconomic status and convenience store concentration on individual level smoking. J Epidemiol Community Health 2005. 59568–573.573. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
35. Macintyre S, Ellaway A. Neighbourhoods and health: an overview. In: Kawachi I, Berkman L, eds. Neighbourhoods and health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. 20–42.42.
36. Witten K, Exeter D, Field A. The quality of urban environments: mapping variation in access to community resources. Urban Studies 2003. 40161–177.177.
37. Wilkinson R, Marmot M, eds. Social determinants of health: the solid facts. 2nd ed. Copenhagen: World Health Organisation, 2003.
38. Blakely T, Fawcett J, Atkinson J. et alDecades of disparity II: socioeconomic mortality trends in New Zealand 1981–1999. Wellington: Ministry of Health, 2005.
K, McCreanor T, Kearns R. et al The impacts of a school closure on neighbourhood social cohesion: narratives from Invercargill, New Zealand. Health and Place 2001. 7307–317.317. [PubMed] 39. Berkman L F, Glass T, Brisette I. et al From social integration to health: Durkheim in the new millennium. Soc Sci Med 2000. 51843–857.857. [PubMed]
40. Ministry of Transport New Zealand transport strategy. Wellington: Ministry of Transport, 2002.
41. Auckland Regional Council Trends, impacts and causes. In: Auckland regional land transport strategy 2003. Auckland: Auckland Regional Council, 2003. 27–33.33.
42. Statistics New Zealand 2001 Census of population and dwellings: families and households. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand, 2002.
43. Lucas K.
ed. Running on empty: transport, social exclusion and environmental justice. Bristol: The Policy Press, University of Bristol, 2004.
44. Raudenbush S. The quantitative assessment of neighbourhood social environments. In: Kawachi I, Berkman L, eds. Neighbourhoods and health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. 112–131.131.
45. Macintyre S, Ellaway A. Ecological approaches: rediscovering the role of the physical and social environment. In: Berkman LF, Kawachi I, eds. Social epidemiology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. 332–348.348.