1. Solarsh G, Benzler J, Hosegood V, Tanser F, Vanneste A. Population, Health and Survival at INDEPTH Sites. Ottawa: IDRC; 2002. Hlabisa DSS, South Africa; pp. 213–20.
2. Hosegood V, Benzler J, Solarsh G. Population mobility and household dynamics in rural South Africa: implications for demographic and health research. South Afr J Demogr. 2005;10:43–67.
3. Welz T, Hosegood V, Jaffar S, Batzing-Feigenbaum J, Herbst K, Newell ML. Continued very high prevalence of HIV infection in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a population-based longitudinal study. AIDS. 2007;21:1467–72. [PubMed] 4. Tanser F, Hosegood V, Benzler J, Solarsh G. New approaches to spatially analyse primary health care usage patterns in rural South Africa. Trop Med Int Health. 2001;6:826–38. [PubMed] 5. Tanser FC. The application of GIS technology to equitably distribute fieldworker workload in a large, rural South African health survey. Trop Med Int Health. 2002;7:80–90. [PubMed]
6. Muhwava W, Nyirenda M, Herbst K. Operational and Methodological Aspects of the ACDIS. Monograph Series No 1. Mtubatuba, South Africa: Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies; 2007.
7. UNAIDS/WHO. Guidelines for Using HIV Testing Technologies in Surveillance: Selection, Evaluation, and Implementation. Geneva: UNAIDS/WHO; 2001.
8. Bärnighausen T, Tanser F, Newell M. 2007. Modelling selection effects in a large population-based HIV surveillance survey in rural South Africa.
9. Bärnighausen T, Tanser F, Gqwede Z, Mbizana C, Herbst K, Newell M. High HIV incidence in a community with high HIV prevalence in rural South Africa: findings from a prospective population-based study. AIDS in press.
10. Rubin D. Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. John Wiley: New York; 1987.
11. Vella F. Estimating models with sample selection bias: a survey. J Hum Resour. 1998;33:127–69.
12. Heckman J. Sample selection bias as a specification error. Econometrica. 1979;47:153–61.
13. Hosegood V, Vanneste AM, Timaeus IM. Levels and causes of adult mortality in rural South Africa: the impact of AIDS. AIDS. 2004;18:663–71. [PubMed]
14. Herbst K, Cooke G, Bärnighausen T, Kany-Kany A, Newell M-L. 2007. Early impact on adult mortality from a government ART programme in rural KwaZulu-Natal.
15. Moultrie T, Hosegood V, McGrath N, Hill C, Herbst K, Newell M-L. Stud Fam Plann. 2007. Fertility decline in rural South Africa: another stalled transistion? in press.
16. Camlin CS, Garenne M, Moultrie TA. Fertility trend and pattern in a rural area of South Africa in the context of HIV/AIDS. Afr J Reprod Health. 2004;8:38–54. [PubMed]
17. Hosegood V, Timaeus IM. Household composition and dynamics in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: mirroring social reality in longitudinal data collection. In: EVD Walle., editor. African Households. Censuses and Surveys. New York: M. E. Sharpe Inc.; 2005.
18. Jones S. Children on the move: parenting, mobility, and birth-status among migrants. In: Burman S, Preston-Whyte E, editors. Questionable Issue: Illegitimacy in South Africa. Cape Town: Oxford University Press; 1992. pp. 247–81.
19. Hill C, Hosegood V, Newell ML. Children's care and living arrangements in a high HIV prevalence area in rural South Africa. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies. 2007 ; in press.
20. Hosegood V, Floyd S, Marston M, et al. Growing up in rural Africa: orphanhood and living arrangements of children in high HIV prevalence populations in Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa. Popul Stud. 2007 ;61, in press.
21. Case A, Ardington C. The impact of parental death on schooling outcomes: longitudinal evidence from South Africa. Demography. 2006;43:401–20. [PubMed]
22. Case A, Hosegood V, Lund F. The reach of the South African child support grant: evidence from KwaZulu-Natal. Dev South Afr. 2005;22:467–82.
23. Ford K, Hosegood V. AIDS mortality and the mobility of children in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. Demography. 2005;42:757–68. [PubMed] 24. Hosegood V, McGrath N, Herbst K, Timaeus IM. The impact of adult mortality on household dissolution and migration in rural South Africa. AIDS. 2004;18:1585–90. [PubMed] 25. Hosegood V, Preston-Whyte E, Busza J, Moitse S, Timæus IM. Households’ experience of HIV and AIDS in rural South Africa. Soc Sci Med. 2007;65:1249–59. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
26. Tanser F, Bärnighausen T, Newell M. 2007. Large spatial variations in HIV infection across a small area in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: results of a population-based study.
27. Boerma JT, Gregson S, Nyamukapa C, Urassa M. Understanding the uneven spread of HIV within Africa: comparative study of biologic, behavioral, and contextual factors in rural populations in Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Sex Transm Dis. 2003;30:779–87. [PubMed]