1. Carney AG, Merrell KW. Bullying in schools: perspectives on understanding and preventing an international problem. Sch Psychol Int. 2001;22:364–382.
2. Forero R, McLellan L, Rissel C, Bauman A. Bullying behaviour and psychosocial health among school students in New South Wales, Australia: cross sectional survey. BMJ. 1999;319:344–348. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 3. Wolke D, Woods S, Stanford K, Schulz H. Bullying and victimization of primary school children in England and Germany: prevalence and school factors. Br J Psychol. 2001;92:673–696. [PubMed] 4. Kaltiala-Heino R, Rimpela M, Rantanen P, Rimpela A. Bullying at school: an indicator of adolescents at risk for mental disorders. J Adolesc. 2000;23:661–674. [PubMed]
5. Karatzias A, Power KG, Swanson V. Bullying and victimisation in Scottish secondary schools: same or separate entities? Aggress Behav. 2002;28:45–61.
6. Nansel TR, Overpeck M, Pilla RS, Ruan WJ, Simons-Morton BG. Bullying behaviors among US youth: prevalence and association with psychosocial adjustment. JAMA. 2001;285:2094–2100. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Bond L, Carlin JB, Thomas L, Rubin K, Patton G. Does bullying cause emotional problems? a prospective study of young teenagers. BMJ. 2001;323:480–484. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 8. Kumpulainen K, Rasanen E. Children involved in bullying at elementary school age: their psychiatric symptoms and deviance in adolescence. Child Abuse Neglect. 2000;24:1567–1577. [PubMed]
9. Olweus D. Bullying among schoolchildren: intervention and prevention. In: Peters RD, McMahon RJ, Quinsey VL, editors. Aggression and Violence Throughout the Life Span. Newbury Park, Calif: Sage Publications; 1992. pp. 100–125.
10. Olweus D. Bullying at school: long-term outcomes for the victims and an effective school-based intervention program. In: Huesmann LR, editor. Aggressive Behavior: Current Perspectives. New York, NY: Plenum Press; 1994. pp. 97–130.
11. Olweus D. Sweden. In: Smith PK, Morita Y, Junger-Tas J, Olweus D, Catalano R, Slee P, editors. The Nature of School Bullying: A Cross-national Perspective. New York, NY: Routledge; 1999. pp. 7–27.
12. Baldry AC, Farrington DP. Types of bullying among Italian school children. J Adolesc. 1999;22:423–426. [PubMed]
13. Rivers I, Smith PK. Types of bullying behaviour and their correlates. Aggress Behav. 1994;20:359–368.
14. Austin S, Joseph S. Assessment of bully/victim problems in 8 to 11 year-olds. Br J Educ Psychol. 1996;66:447–456. [PubMed]
15. Berthold KA, Hoover JH. Correlates of bullying and victimization among intermediate students in the Midwestern USA. Sch Psychol Int. 2000;21:65–78.
16. Borg MG. The extent and nature of bullying among primary and secondary school children. Educ Res. 1999;41:137–153.
17. Bosworth K, Espelage DL, Simon TR. Factors associated with bullying behavior in middle school students. J Early Adolesc. 1999;19:341–362.
18. Boulton MJ, Underwood K. Bully/victim problems among middle school children. Br J Educ Psychol. 1992;62:73–87. [PubMed]
19. Olweus D. Bully/victim problems in school: knowledge base and an effective intervention program. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:170–190.
20. O’Moore AM, Smith KM. Bullying behaviour in Irish schools: a nationwide study. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:141–169.
21. Pellegrini AD, Bartini M, Brooks F. School bullies, victims, and aggressive victims: factors relating to group affiliation and victimization in early adolescence. J Educ Psychol. 1999;91:216–224.
22. Rigby K. Attitudes and beliefs about bullying among Australian school children. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:202–220.
23. Whitney I, Smith PK. A survey of the nature and extent of bullying in junior/middle and secondary schools. Educ Res. 1993;34:3–25.
24. Currie C, Hurrelmann K, Settertobulte W, Smith R, Todd J, editors. Health and Health Behaviour Among Young People (International Report From the HBSC 1997/98 Survey) Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000. WHO Policy Series: Health Policy for Children and Adolescents Series, No. 1. Additional information available at: http://www.hbsc.org.
25. Solberg ME, Olweus D. Prevalence estimation of school bullying with the Olweus bully/victim questionnaire. Aggress Behav. 2003;29:239–268.
26. Kessler RC, Little RJA, Groves RM. Advances in strategies for minimizing and adjusting for survey nonresponse. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17:192–204. [PubMed]
27. Haynie DL, Nansel TR, Eitel P, et al. Bullies, victims, and bully/victims: distinct groups of youth at-risk. J Early Adolesc. 2001;21:29–50.
28. Salmivalli C, Nieminen E. Proactive and reactive aggression among school bullies, victims, and bully-victims. Aggress Behav. 2002;28:30–44.
29. Grills AE, Ollendick TH. Peer victimization, global self-worth, and anxiety in middle school children. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2002;31:59–68. [PubMed]
30. Marsh HW, Parada RH, Yeung AS, Healey J. Aggressive school troublemakers and victims: a longitudinal model examining the pivotal role of self-concept. J Educ Psychol. 2001;93:411–419.
31. O’Moore M, Kirkham C. Self-esteem and its relationship to bullying behaviour. Aggress Behav. 2001;27:269–283.
32. Rigby K. Peer victimisation at school and the health of secondary school students. Br J Educ Psychol. 1999;68:95–104. [PubMed] 33. Williams C, Chambers M, Logan S, Robinson D. Association of common health symptoms with bullying in primary school children. BMJ. 1996;313:17–19. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 34. Wolke D, Woods S, Bloomfield L, Karstadt L. Bullying involvement in primary school and common health problems. Arch Dis Child. 2001;85:197–201. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
35. Nansel TR, Haynie DL, Simons-Morton BG. The association of bullying and victimization with middle school adjustment. J Appl School Psychol. 2003;19(2):45–61.
36. Natvig GK, Albrektsen G, Qvarnstrom U. School-related stress experience as a risk factor for bullying behavior. J Youth Adolesc. 2001;30:561–575.
37. Olweus D, Limber S, Milhalic S. Blueprints for Violence Prevention, Book Nine: Bullying Prevention Program. Boulder, Colo: Center for the Study of Prevention of Violence; 1999.
38. Sharp S, Smith PK. Bullying in UK schools: the DES Sheffield Bullying Project. Early Child Dev Care. 1991;77:47–55.
39. Smith PK. Bullying in schools: the UK experience and the Sheffield Anti-Bullying Project. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:191–201.