1. Lee DD, Seung SH. Learning the parts of objects by nonnegative matrix factorization. Nature. 1999;401:788–791. [PubMed]
2. Lee DD, Seung SH. Algorithms for nonnegative matrix factorization. Adv Neural Inform Process Syst. 2001;13:556–562.
3. Paatero P, Tapper U. Positive matrix factorization: A nonnegative factor model with optimal utilization of error estimates of data values. Environmetrics. 1994;5:111–126.
4. Paatero P. Least-squares formulation of robust non-negative factor analysis. Chemometrics Intelligent Laboratory Sys. 1997;37:23–35.
5. Paatero P. The Multilinear Engine—A table-driven least squares program for solving multilinear problems, including the n-way parallel factor analysis model. J Computational Graphical Stat. 1999;8:854–888.
6. Juvela M, Lehtinen K, Paatero P. Clemens DP, Barvainis R, editors. The use of positive matrix factorization in the analysis of molecular line spectra from the thumbprint nebula. 1994. pp. 176–180. Clouds, cores, and low mass stars. ASP Conference Series 65:
7. Juvela M, Lehtinen K, Paatero P. The use of positive matrix factorization in the analysis of molecular line spectra. Mon Not R Astron Soc. 1996;280:616–626.
8. Buciu I, Pitas I. Application of non-negative and local non negative matrix factorization to facial expression recognition. 2004. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition. 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition; 23–26 August 2004; Cambridge, United Kingdom.
9. Chen X, Gu L, Li S-Z, Zhang H-J. Learning representative local features for face detection. 2001. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 1: I-1126–I-1131. IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 13–15 June 2000; Kauai, Hawaii.
10. Feng T, Li S-Z, Shum H-Y, Zhang H-Y. Local nonnegative matrix factorization as a visual representation. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Development and Learning. 2001. pp. 178–183. 2nd International Conference on Development and Learning; Cambridge, Massachusetts.
11. Guillamet D, Vitri'a J. Discriminant basis for object classification. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing. 2001. pp. 256–261. 11th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing; 26–28 September 2001; Palermo, Italy.
12. Guillamet D, Vitri'a J. Evaluation of distance metrics for recognition based on non-negative matrix factorization. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2003;24:1599–1605.
13. Guillamet D, Vitri'a J, Schiele B. Introducing a weighted non-negative matrix factorization for image classification. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2003;24:2447–2454.
14. Rajapakse M, Wyse L. NMF vs ICA for face recognition. 2003. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis 2: 605–610. 3rd International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis; 18–20 September 2003; Rome, Italy.
15. Ramanath R, Snyder WE, Qi H. Eigenviews for object recognition in multispectral imaging systems. Proceedings of the 32nd Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop. 2003. pp. 33–38. 32nd Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop; 15–17 October 2003; Washington, D.C.
16. Saul LK, Lee DD. Multiplicative updates for classification by mixture models. In: Dietterich TG, Becker S, Ghahramani Z, editors. Advances in neural and information processing systems, volume 14. Cambridge, Massachussets: MIT Press; 2002. pp. 897–904.
17. Wang Y, Jia Y, Hu C, Turk M. Fisher non-negative matrix factorization for learning local features. Proceedings of the 6th Asian Conference on Computer Vision. 2004. pp. 806–811. 6th Asian Conference on Computer Vision; 28–30 January 2004; Jeju Island, Korea.
18. Lawrence J, Rusinkiewicz S, Ramamoorthi R. Efficient BRDF importance sampling using a factored representation. ACM Trans Graph. 2004;23:496–505.
19. Li SZ, Hou X, Zhang H, Cheng Q. Learning spatially localized, parts-based representations. 2001. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 1: 207–212. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 8–14 December 2001; Kauai, Hawaii.
20. Shahnaz F, Berry M. Document clustering using nonnegative matrix factorization. Information Processing and Management: An International Journal. 2006;42:373–386.
21. Pauca P, Shahnaz F, Berry M, Plemmons R. Text mining using nonnegative matrix factorizations. 2004. In: Proceedings of the Fourth SIAM International Conference on Data Mining. Fourth SIAM International Conference on Data Mining; 22–24 April 2004, Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
22. Chagoyen M, Carmona-Saez P, Shatkay H, Carazo JM, Pascual-Montano A. Discovering semantic features in the literature: A foundation for building functional associations. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:41. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
23. Hoyer PO. Nonnegative sparse coding. 2002. Neural Networks for Signal Processing XII 557–565. IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing; 4–6 September 2002; Martigny, Switzerland.
24. Hoyer PO. Modeling receptive fields with nonnegative sparse coding. Neurocomputing. 2003;52–54:547–552.
25. Hoyer PO. Nonnegative matrix factorization with sparseness constraints. J Mach Learn Res. 2004;5:1457–1469.
26. Liu W, Zheng N, Lu X. Non-negative matrix factorization for visual coding. 2003. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 3: 293–296. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing; 6–10 April 2003; Taiwan, China.
27. Li Y, Cichocki A. Sparse representation of images using alternating linear programming. 2003. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications 1: 57–60. 7th International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications; 1–4 July 2003; Paris, France.
28. Tsuge S, Shishibori M, Kuroiwa S, Kita K. Dimensionality reduction using non-negative matrix factorization for information retrieval. 2001. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 2: 960–965. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics; 7–10 October, 2001; Tucson, Arizona.
29. Xu B, Lu J, Huang G. A constrained non-negative matrix factorization in information retrieval. 2003. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, 273–277. IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration; 27–29 October; Las Vegas, Nevada.
30. Behnke S. Discovering hierarchical speech features using convolutional non-negative matrix factorization. 2003. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks 4: 2758–2763. International Joint Conference on Neural Network; 20–24 July; Portland, Oregon.
31. Cho Y-C, Choi S, Bang S-Y. Non-negative component parts of sound for classification. Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology. 2003. pp. 633–636. 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology; 14–17 December 2003; Darmstadt, Germany.
32. Novak M, Mammone R. Use of non-negative matrix factorization for language model adaptation in a lecture transcription task. 2001. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1: 541–544. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing; 7–11 May 2001; Salt Lake City, Utah.
33. Smaragdis P, Brown JC. Non-negative matrix factorization for polyphonic music transcription. Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics. 2003. pp. 177–180. IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics; 19–22 October 2001; New Paltz, New York.
34. Cooper M, Foote J. Summarizing video using nonnegative similarity matrix factorization. Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing. 2002. pp. 25–28. IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing; 9–11 December 2002; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.
35. Lu J, Xu B, Yang H. Matrix dimensionality reduction for mining Web logs. Proceedings of the IEEE/WIC International Conference on Web Intelligence. 2003. pp. 405–408. IEEE/WIC International Conference on Web Intelligence; 13 October 2003; Nova Scotia, Canada.
36. Mao Y, Saul LK. Modeling distances in large-scale networks by matrix factorization. Proceedings of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference. 2004. pp. 278–287. ACM Internet Measurement Conference; 25–27 October 2004; Sicily, Italy.
37. Devarajan K. Nonnegative matrix factorization—A new paradigm for large-scale biological data analysis. 2006. In: Proceedings of the Joint Statistical Meetings. Joint Statistical Meetings; 6–10 August 2006; Seattle, Washington.
38. Brunet J-P, Tamayo P, Golub T, Mesirov J. Metagenes and molecular pattern discovery using nonnegative matrix factorization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:4164–4169. [PubMed] 39. Devarajan K, Ebrahimi N. Molecular pattern discovery using non-negative matrix factorization based on Renyi's information measure. 2005. In: Proceedings of the XII SCMA International Conference; 2–4 December 2005; Auburn, Alabama. Available at: http://atlas-conferences.com/c/a/q/t/98.htm. Accessed June 24, 2008. 40. Kim P, Tidor B. Subsystem identification through dimensionality reduction of large-scale gene expression data. Genome Res. 2003;13:1706–1718. [PubMed] 41. Heger A, Holm L. Sensitive pattern discovery with ‘fuzzy’ alignments of distantly related proteins. Bioinformatics. 2003;19:i130–i137. [PubMed]
42. Monti S, Tamayo P, Golub TR, Mesirov JP. Consensus clustering: A resampling-based method for class discovery and visualization in gene expression microarray data. Mach Learn J. 2003;52:91–118.
43. Gao Y, Church G. Improving molecular cancer class discovery through sparse non-negative matrix factorization. Bioinformatics. 2005;21:3970–3975. [PubMed]
44. Kim H, Park H. Sparse non-negative matrix factorizations via alternating non-negativity-constrained least squares. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Computational and Systems Biology. 2006. pp. 95–100. IASTED International Conference on Computational and Systems Biology; 13–14 November 2005; Dallas, Texas.
45. Carrasco DR, Tonon G, Huang Y, Zhang Y, Sinha R, et al. High-resolution genomic profiles define distinct clinico-pathogenic subgroups of multiple myeloma patients. Cancer Cell. 2006;9:313–325. [PubMed]
46. Devarajan K, Ebrahimi N. Class discovery via nonnegative matrix factorization. American Journal of Management and Mathematical Sciences; In press 2008
47. Pascual-Montano P, Carazo JM, Kochi K, Lehmann D, Pascual-Marqui R. Nonsmooth nonnegative matrix factorization. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2006;28:403–415. [PubMed]
48. Pascual-Montano P, Carazo JM, Kochi K, Lehmann D, Pascual-Marqui R. Two-way clustering of gene expression profiles by sparse matrix factorization. 2005. In: Proceedings of the Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, Workshops and Poster Abstracts; 103–104. Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference; 8–11 August 2005; Stanford, California.
49. Carmona-Saez P, Pascual-Marqui RD, Tirado F, Carazo JM, Pascual-Montano A. Biclustering of gene expression data by non-smooth non-negative matrix factorization. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:78. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 50. Pascual-Montano A, Carmona-Saez P, Chagoyen M, Tirado F, Carazo JM, et al. bioNMF: A versatile tool for non-negative matrix factorization in biology. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;28:366. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 51. Wang G, Kossenkov AV, Ochs MF. LS-NMF: A modified non-negative matrix factorization algorithm utilizing uncertainty estimates. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;7:175. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 52. Costanzo MC, Crawford ME, Hirschman JE, Kranz KE, Olsen P, et al. YPD, PombePD and WormPD: Model organism volumes of the BioKnowledge library, an integrated resource for protein information. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:75–79. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
53. Fogel P, Young SS, Hawkins DM, Ledirac N. Inferential, robust non-negative matrix factorization analysis of microarray data. 2007. Bioinformatics 23:44–9. [November 8, 2006, Epub ahead of print].
54. Okun O, Priisalu H. Fast nonnegative matrix factorization and its application for protein fold recognition. 2006. EURASIP J Appl Signal Processing Article ID 71817.
55. Kelm BM, Menze BH, Zechmann CM, Baudendistel KT, Hamprecht FA. Automated estimation of tumor probability in prostate magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging: pattern recognition vs. quantification. Magn Reson Med. 2007;57:150–159. [PubMed]
56. Jung I, Lee J, Kim H, Lee S-Y, Kim D. Improving profile-profile alignment feature for fold-recognition using nonnegative matrix factorization. 2006. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference of the Korean Society for Bioinformatics; 22–27. Seventh International Conference of the Korean Society for Bioinformatics; 14–16 September 2006; Pohang, Korea.
57. Tamayo P, Scanfield D, Ebert BL, Gillette MA, Roberts CWM, et al. Metagene projection for cross-platform, cross-species characterization of global transcriptional states. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5959–5964. [PubMed] 58. Isakoff MS, Sansam CG, Tamayo P, Subramanian A, Evans JA, et al. Inactivation of the Snf5 tumor suppressor stimulates cell cycle progression and cooperates with p53 loss in oncogenic transformation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17745–17750. [PubMed] 59. Pehkonen P, Wong G, Toronen P. Links Theme discovery from gene lists for identification and viewing of multiple functional groups. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:162. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 60. Ashburner M, Ball CA, Blake JA, Botstein D, Butler H, et al. Gene Ontology: Tool for the unification of biology. The Gene Ontology Consortium. Nature Genet. 2000;25:25–29. [PubMed] 61. Tresch MC, Cheung VC, d'Avella A. Matrix factorization algorithms for the identification of muscle synergies: Evaluation on simulated and experimental datasets. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:2199–2212. [PubMed]
62. Kim SP, Rao YN, Erdogmus D, Sanchez JC, Nicolelis MAL, et al. Determining patterns in neural activity for reaching movements using nonnegative matrix factorization, EURASIP J Appl Signal Processing. 2005;19:3113–3121.
63. Hiisilä H, Bingham E. Dependencies between transcription factor binding sites: Comparison between ICA, NMF, PLSA and frequent sets. Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE International Conference on Data Mining. 2004. pp. 114–121. Fourth IEEE International Conference on Data Mining; 1–4 November 2004; Brighton, United Kingdom.
64. Buchsbaum G, Bloch O. Color categories revealed by non-negative matrix factorization of Munsell color spectra. Vision Res. 2002;42:559–563. [PubMed]
65. Nandigam R, Chuaqui C, Singh J, Kim S. W-Sift, a structural interactions based potency-wise screening technique for protein-small molecule complexes. 2006. In: Proceedings of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting. American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting; 12–17 November 2006; San Francisco, California.
66. Chuaqui C, Nandigam R, Singh J, Deng Z. A position specific interaction-based scoring technique for virtual screening. 2006. In: Proceedings of The Computers in Chemistry Division, American Chemical Society Meeting, 10–14 September 2006; San Francisco, California.
67. Sajda P, Du S, Brown TR, Stoyanova R, Shungu DC, et al. Nonnegative matrix factorization for rapid recovery of constituent spectra in magnetic resonance chemical shift imaging of the brain. IEEE Trans Medical Imaging. 2004;23:1453–1465.
68. Hastie T, Tibshirani R, Friedman J. The elements of statistical learning. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2001.
69. Ross DA, Zemel RS. Learning parts-based representations of data. J Mach Learn Res. 2006;7:2369–2397.
70. Donoho D, Stodden V. When does nonnegative matrix factorization give a correct decomposition into parts? Adv Neural Inform Process Syst 16. Cambridge (Massachusetts): MIT Press; 2003.
71. Devarajan K, Wang G. Parallel implementation of non-negative matrix algorithms using high-performance computing cluster. 2007. In: Proceedings of the 39th Symposium on the Interface: Computing Science and Statistics. Theme: Systems Biology. 39th Symposium on the Interface: Computing Science and Statistics; 23–26 May 2007; Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Available: http://sbm.temple.edu/interface07/documents/Interface07InvitedProgram_Revised.pdf. Accessed June 24, 2008.
72. Okun O, Priisalu H. Nonnegative matrix factorization for pattern recognition. Proceedings of the 5th IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing. 2005. pp. 546–551. 5th IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing; 7–9 September 2005; Benidorm, Spain.
73. Bartlett MS, Lades HM, Sejnowski TJ. Independent component representations for face recognition. Proc SPIE. 1998;3299:528–539.
74. Hyvarinen A, Karhunen J, Oja E. Independent Component Analysis. New York: Wiley Interscience; 2001.
75. Plumbley M, Oja E. A “nonnegative PCA” algorithm for independent component analysis. IEEE Trans Neural Netw. 2004;15:66–76. [PubMed] 76. Oja E, Plumbley M. Blind separation of positive sources by globally convergent gradient search. Neural Computation. 2004;16:1811–1825. [PubMed] 77. Plumbley M. Algorithms for nonnegative independent component analysis. IEEE Trans Neural Netw. 2003;14:534–543. [PubMed]