1. Brent DA, Mann JJ. Family genetic studies of suicide and suicidal behavior. Am J Med Genetics. 2005;133C:13–24.
2. Kety SS, Rosenthal D, Wender PH, Schulsinger F. The types and prevalence of mental illness in the biological and adoptive families of adopted schizophrenia. J Psychiat Res. 1968;6:345–362.
3. Schulsinger F, Kety SS, Rosenthal D, Wender PH. A family study of suicide. In: Schou M, Stromgren E, editors. Origin, Prevention and Treatment of Affective Disorders. London: Academic Press; 1979. pp. 277–287.
4. Wender PH, Kety SS, Rosenthal D, Schulsinger F, Ortmann J, Lunde I. Psychiatric disorders in the biological and adoptive families of adopted individuals with affective disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1986;43:923–929. [PubMed] 5. Tsuang MT. Genetic factors in suicide. Dis Nerv Syst. 1977;38:498–501. [PubMed] 6. Roy A, Segal NL. Suicidal behavior in twins: A replication. J Affect Disord. 2001;66:71–74. [PubMed] 7. Roy A, Segal NL, Sarchiapone M. Attempted suicide among living co-twins of twin suicide victims. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:1075–1076. [PubMed]
8. Segal NL, Roy A. Suicidal attempts and ideation in twins whose co-twins’ deaths were non-suicides: Replication and elaboration. Pers Individ Differences. 2001;31:445–452.
9. Statham DJ, Heath AC, Madden PAF, Bucholz KK, Bierut L, Dinwiddie SH, Slutske WS, Dunne MP, Martin NG. Suicidal behaviour: An epidemiological and genetic study. Psychol Med. 1998;28:839–855. [PubMed] 10. Fu Q, Heath AC, Bucholz KK, Nelson EC, Glowinski AL, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT, Jacob T, True MR, Eisen SA. A twin study of genetic and environmental influences on suicidality in men. Psychol Med. 2002;32:11–24. [PubMed] 11. Glowinski A, Bucholz KK, Nelson EC, Fu Q, Madden P, Reich W, Heath AC. Suicide attempts in an adolescent female twin sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:1300–1307. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
12. Plomin R, Reiss D, Hetherington EM, Howe GW. Nature and nurture: Genetic contributions to measures of the family environment. Dev Psychol. 1994;30(1):32–43.
13. Devlin B, Daniels M, Roeder K. The heritability of IQ. Nature. 1997;388:468–471. [PubMed]
14. Egeland JA, Sussex JN. Suicide and family loading for affective disorders. J Am Med Assoc. 1985;254:915–918.
15. Garfinkel BD, Froese A, Hood J. Suicide attempts in children and adolescents. Am J Psychiatry. 1982;139:1257–1261. [PubMed] 16. Roy A. Family history of suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1983;40:971–974. [PubMed] 17. Tsuang MT. Risk of suicide in the relatives of schizophrenics, manics, depressives, and controls. J Clin Psychiatry. 1983;44:396–400. [PubMed] 18. Linkowski P, de Maertelaer V, Mendlewicz J. Suicidal behaviour in major depressive illness. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 1985;72:233–238. [PubMed] 19. Mitterauer B. A contribution to the discussion of the role of the genetic factor in suicide, based on five studies in an epidemiologically defined area (Province of Salzburg, Austria) Compr Psychiatry. 1990;31:557–565. [PubMed] 20. Sorenson SB, Rutter CM. Transgenerational patterns of suicide attempt. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991;59:861–866. [PubMed]
21. Pfeffer CR, Normandin L, Tatsuyuki K. Suicidal children grow up: Suicidal behavior and psychiatric disorders among relatives. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1994;33:1087–1097.
22. Malone KM, Haas GL, Sweeney JA, Mann JJ. Major depression and the risk of attempted suicide. J Affect Disord. 1995;34:173–185. [PubMed] 23. Brent DA, Bridge J, Johnson BA, Connolly J. Suicidal behavior runs in families: A controlled family study of adolescent suicide victims. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1996;53:1145–1152. [PubMed] 24. Gould MS, Fisher P, Parides M, Flory M, Shaffer D. Psychosocial risk factors of child and adolescent completed suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1996;53:1155–1162. [PubMed] 25. Bridge JA, Brent DA, Johnson B, Connolly J. Familial aggregation of psychiatric disorders in a community sample of adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;36:628–636. [PubMed] 26. Johnson BA, Brent DA, Bridge J, Connolly J, Matta J, Constantine D, Rather C, White T. The familial aggregation of adolescent suicide attempts. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 1998;97:18–24. [PubMed] 27. Foster T, Gillespie K, McClelland R, Patterson C. Risk factors for suicide independent of DSM-III-R Axis I disorder: Case control psychological autopsy study in Northern Ireland. Br J Psychiatry. 1999;175:175–179. [PubMed] 28. Cheng AT, Chen THH, Chen CC, Jenkins R. Psychosocial and psychiatric risk factors for suicide: Case-control psychological autopsy study. Br J Psychiatry. 2000;177:360–365. [PubMed] 29. Powell J, Geddes J, Deeks J, Goldacre M, Hawton K. Suicide in psychiatric hospital in-patients: Risk factors and their predictive powers. Br J Psychiatry. 2000;176:266–272. [PubMed] 30. Roy A. Relation of family history of suicide to suicide attempts in alcoholics. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:2050–2051. [PubMed] 31. Roy A. Characteristics of cocaine-dependent patients who attempt suicide. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:1215–1219. [PubMed] 32. Roy A. Family history of suicide and neuroticism: A preliminary study. Psychiatry Res. 2002;110:87–90. [PubMed] 33. Roy A. Childhood trauma and neuroticism as an adult: Possible implication for the development of the common psychiatric disorders and suicidal behaviour. Psychol Med. 2002;32:1471–1474. [PubMed] 34. Roy A. Characteristics of opiate dependent patients who attempt suicide. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63:403–407. [PubMed]
35. Qin P, Agerbo E, Mortensen PB. Suicide risk in relation to family history of completed suicide and psychiatric disorders: A nested case-control study based on longitudinal registers. The Lancet. 2002;360:1126–1130.
36. Tsai SY, Kuo C, Chen CC, Lee H. Risk factors for completed suicide in bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63:469–476. [PubMed] 37. Qin P, Agerbo E, Mortensen PB. Suicide risk in relation to socioeconomic, demographic, psychiatric, and familial factors: A national register-based study of all suicides in Denmark, 1981–1997. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:765–772. [PubMed] 38. Runeson B, Asberg M. Family history of suicide among suicide victims. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1525–1526. [PubMed] 39. Roy A. Characteristics of drug addicts who attempt suicide. Psychiatry Res. 2003;121:99–103. [PubMed] 40. Kim CD, Seguin M, Therrien N, Riopel G, Chawky N, Lesage AD, Turecki G. Familial aggregation of suicidal behavior: A family study of male suicide completers from the general population. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1017–1019. [PubMed]
41. Agerbo E, Nordentoft M, Mortensen PB. Familial, psychiatric, and socioeconomic risk factors for suicide in young people: Nested case-controlled study. Br Med J. 2002;325
42. Tsuang MT, Simpson JC. Mortality studies in psychiatry: Should they stop or proceed? Archives of General Psychiatry. 1985;42:98–103. [PubMed] 43. Roy A. Early parental death and adult depression. Psychol Med. 1983;13:861–865. [PubMed] 44. Mann JJ, Bortinger J, Oquendo MA, Currier D, Li S, Brent DA. Family history of suicidal behavior and mood disorders in probands with mood disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1672–1679. [PubMed] 45. Hawton K, Haw C, Houston K, Townsend E. Family history of suicidal behaviour: Prevalence and significance in deliberate self-harm patients. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2002;106:387–393. [PubMed] 46. Goodwin RD, Beautrais AL, Fergusson DM. Familial transmission of suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: evidence from a general population sample. Psychiatry Res. 2004;126:159–165. [PubMed] 47. Brent DA, Oquendo M, Birmaher B, Greenhill L, Kolko D, Stanley B, Zelazny J, Brodsky B, Bridge J, Ellis S, Salazar O, Mann JJ. Familial pathways to early-onset suicide attempt: Risk for suicidal behavior in offspring of mood-disordered suicide attempters. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2002;59:801–807. [PubMed] 48. Brent DA, Oquendo MA, Birmaher B, Greenhill L, Kolko D, Stanley B, Zelazny J, Brodsky B, Firinciogullari S, Ellis SP, Mann JJ. Peripubertal suicide attempts in offspring of suicide attempters with siblings concordant for suicidal behavior. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1486–1493. [PubMed] 49. Melhem NM, Brent DA, Ziegler M, Iyengar S, Kolko DJ, Oquendo M, Birmaher B, Burke A, Zelazny J, Stanley B, Mann JJ. Familial pathways to early-onset suicidal behavior: Familial and individual antecedents of suicidal behavior. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1364–1370. [PubMed] 50. Lieb R, Bronisch T, Hofler M, Schreier A, Wittchen H-U. Maternal suicidality and risk of suicidality in offspring: Findings from a community study. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1665–1671. [PubMed]
51. Brodsky BS, Mann JJ, Stanley B, Tin A, Oquendo M, Birmaher B, Greenhill L, Kolko D, Zelazny J, Burke A, Melhem N, Brent D. Familial transmission of suicidal behavior: Factors mediating the relationship between abuse and offspring suicide attempts. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. In press.
52. Brent DA, Oquendo MA, Birmaher B, Greenhill L, Kolko D, Stanley B, Zelazny J, Brodsky B, Melhem NM, Ellis SP, Mann JJ. Familial transmission of mood disorders: Convergence and divergence with transmission of suicidal behavior. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004;43:1259–1266. [PubMed] 53. Gottesman II, Gould TD. The endophenotype concept in psychiatry: Etymology and strategic intentions. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:636–645. [PubMed] 54. Mann JJ, Waternaux C, Haas GL, Malone KM. Toward a clinical model of suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients. Am J Psychiatry. 1999;156:181–189. [PubMed] 55. Coccaro E, Bergeman CS, Kavoussi RJ, Seroczynski AD. Heritability of aggression and irritability: A twin study of the Buss-Durkee aggression scales in adult male subjects. Biol Psychiatry. 1997;41:273–284. [PubMed] 56. Beautrais A, Joyce PR, Mulder RT. Personality traits and cognitive styles as risk factors for serious suicide attempts among young people. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1999;29:37–47. [PubMed]
57. Beers SR, Keilp JG, Melhem NM, Wiles C, Ozawa H, Birmaher B, Mann JJ, Brent DA. Familial transmission of suicidal behavior: Neuropsychological dysfunction in offspring of suicide attempters. Psychological Medicine. Submitted.
58. Jeglic EL, Sharp IR, Chapman JE, Brown GK, Beck AT. History of family suicide behaviors and negative problem solving in multiple suicide attempters. Archives of Suicide Research. 2005;9:135–146. [PubMed] 59. Roberts J, Hawton K. Child abuse and attempted suicide. Br J Psychiatry. 1980;137:319–323. [PubMed] 60. Chaffin M, Kelleher KJ, Hollenberg J. Onset of physical abuse and neglect: Psychiatric, substance abuse and social risk factors from prospective community data. Child Abuse and Neglect. 1996;20:191–203. [PubMed] 61. DeBellis MD, Thomas LA. Biologic findings of post-traumatic stress disorder and child maltreatment. Current Psychiatry Reports. 2003;5:108–117. [PubMed] 62. Gould MS. Suicide and the media. Ann N y Acad Sci. 2001;932:200–224. [PubMed] 63. Brent DA, Moritz G, Bridge J, Perper J, Canobbio R. The impact of adolescent suicide on siblings and parents: A longitudinal follow-up. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1996;26:253–259. [PubMed] 64. Brent DA, Moritz G, Bridge J, Perper J, Canobbio R. Long-term impact of exposure to suicide: A three-year controlled follow-up. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35(5):646–653. [PubMed]
65. Lewinsohn PM, Rohde P, Seeley JR. Adolescent suicidal ideation and attempts: Prevalence, risk factors, and clinical implications. Clin Psychol Sci Prac. 1996;3:25–46.
66. Conner KR, Duberstein PR. Predisposing and precipitating factors for suicide among alcoholics: empirical review and conceptual integration. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. 2004;28:65–17S.
67. Prinstein MJ, Boergers J, Spirito A. Adolescents’ and their friends’ health-risk behavior: Factors that alter or add to peer influence. J Pediatr Psychol. 2001;26:287–298. [PubMed] 68. Lynskey MT, Fergusson DM. Factors protecting against the development of adjustment difficulties in young adults exposed to childhood sexual abuse. Child Abuse and Neglect. 1997;21:1177–1190. [PubMed] 69. Kendler KS, Neale MC, Kessler RC, Heath AC, Eaves LJ. Childhood parental loss and adult psychopathology in women: A twin study perspective. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1992;49:109–116. [PubMed] 70. Kendler KS, Gardner CO, Prescott CA. Toward a comprehensive development model for major depression in men. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:115–124. [PubMed] 71. Kendler KS, Sheth K, Gardner CO, Prescott CA. Childhood parental loss and risk for first-onset of major depression and alcohol dependence: The time-decay of risk and sex differences. Psychol Med. 2002;32:1187–1194. [PubMed] 72. Reinherz HZ, Giaconia RM, Carmola Hauf AM, Wasserman MS, Silverman AB. Major depression in the transition to adulthood: Risks and impairments. J Abnorm Psychol. 1999;108:500–510. [PubMed]
73. Tremblay GC, Israel AC. Children’s adjustment to parental death. Clin Psychol Sci Prac. 1998;5:424–438.
74. Roy A. Childhood trauma and attempted suicide in alcoholics. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2001;189:120–121. [PubMed] 75. Latham AE, Prigerson HG. Suicidality and bereavement: Complicated grief as a psychiatric disorder presenting greatest risk for suicidality. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2004;34:350–362. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
76. Melhem N, Walker M, Moritz G, Brent DA. Antecedents and sequelae of sudden parental death in children and surviving caregivers. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. In press.
77. Jordan JR. Is suicide bereavement different? A reassessment of the literature. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2001;31:91–102. [PubMed] 78. Cerel J, Fristad M, Verducci J, Weller RA, Weller EB. Childhood bereavement: Psychopathology in the 2 years postparental death. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;45:681–690. [PubMed] 79. Cerel J, Fristad MA, Weller EB, Weller RA. Suicide-bereaved children and adolescents: A controlled longitudinal examination. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:672–679. [PubMed] 80. Goldney RD. Parental loss and reported childhood stress in young women who attempt suicide. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 1981;64:34–59. [PubMed] 81. Adam KS, Bouckoms A, Streiner DL. Parental loss and family stability in attempted suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1982;39:1081–1085. [PubMed] 82. Gould MS, Shaffer D, Fisher P, Garfinkel R. Separation/divorce and child and adolescent completed suicide. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998;37:155–162. [PubMed] 83. Gould MS, Greenberg T, Velting DM, Shaffer D. Youth suicide risk and preventative interventions: A review of the past 10 years. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42:386–405. [PubMed] 84. Brent DA, Perper JA, Moritz G, Liotus L, Schweers J, Balach L, Roth C. Familial risk factors for adolescent suicide: A case-control study. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 1994;89:52–58. [PubMed] 85. Tousignant M, Bastien MF, Hamel S. Suicidal attempts and ideations among adolescents and young adults: The contribution of the father’s and mother’s care and of parental separation. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1993;28:256–261. [PubMed] 86. Sandler IN, Tein JY, Mehta P, Wolchik S, Ayers T. Coping efficacy and psychological problems of children of divorce. Child Development. 2000;71:1099–1118. [PubMed] 87. Murphy GE, Wetzel RD, Robins E, McEvoy L. Multiple risk factors predict suicide in alcoholism. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1992;49:459–463. [PubMed] 88. Conner KR, Duberstein P, Conwell Y. Domestic violence, separation, and suicide in young men with early onset alcoholism: Reanalyses of Murphy’s data. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior. 2000;30:354–359. [PubMed] 89. Kposowa AJ. Marital status and suicide in the National Longitudinal Mortality Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2000;54:254–261. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 90. Li G. The interaction effect of bereavement and sex on the risk of suicide in the elderly: An historical cohort study. Soc Sci Med. 1995;40:825–828. [PubMed] 91. Agerbo E. Midlife suicide risk, partner’s psychiatric illness, spouse and child bereavement by suicide or other modes of death: A gender specific study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005;59:407–412. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 92. Rowe JL, Conwell Y, Schulberg H, Bruce ML. Social support and suicidal ideation in order adults using home healthcare services. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2006;14:758–766. [PubMed] 93. Rowe JL, Bruce ML, Conwell Y. Correlates of suicide among home health care utilizers who died by suicide and community controls. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior. 2006;36:65–75. [PubMed] 94. Wagner BM. Family risk factors for child and adolescent suicidal behavior. Psychol Bull. 1997;121:246–298. [PubMed] 95. Brent DA, Baugher M, Bridge J, Chen J, Beery L. Age and sex-related risk factors for adolescent suicide. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:1497–1505. [PubMed] 96. Fergusson DM, Lynskey MT. Childhood circumstances, adolescent adjustment, and suicide attempts in a New Zealand birth cohort. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995;34:612–622. [PubMed] 97. Jacobson NS, Dobson KS, Truax PA, Addis ME, Koerner K, Gollan JK, Gortner E, Prince SE. A component analysis of cognitive-behavioral treatment for depression. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1996;64(2):295–304. [PubMed]
98. Jacobson NS, Schamaling KB, Holtzworth-Munroe A. Component analysis of behavioral marital therapy: 2-year follow-up and prediction of relapse. J Mar Fam Ther. 1987;13:187–195.
99. Jacobson NS, Holtzworth-Munroe A, Schmaling KB. Marital therapy and spouse involvement in the treatment of depression, agoraphobia and alcoholism. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1989;57:5–10. [PubMed] 100. Jacobson NS, Dobson K, Frizzetti AE, Schmaling KB, Salusky S. Marital therapy as a treatment for depression. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991;59:547–557. [PubMed] 101. Dervic K, Oquendo MA, Currier D, Grunebaum MF, Burke AK, Mann JJ. Moral objections to suicide: Can they counteract suidiality in patients with cluster B psychopathology? J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67:620–625. [PubMed] 102. Gur M, Miller L, Warner V, Wickramaratne P, Weissman M. Maternal depression and the intergenerational transmission of religion. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2005;193:338–345. [PubMed] 103. Borowsky IW, Ireland M, Resnick MD. Adolescent suicide attempts: Risks and protectors. Pediatrics. 2001;107:485–493. [PubMed] 104. Oquendo MA, Dragatsi D, Harkavy-Friedman J, Dervic K, Currier D, Burke AK, Grunebaum MF, Mann JJ. Protective factors against suicidal behavior in Latinos. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2005;193:438–443. [PubMed] 105. Malone KM, Oquendo MA, Haas GL, Ellis SP, Li S, Mann JJ. Protective factors against suicidal acts in major depression: Reasons for living. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:1084–1088. [PubMed] 106. Fergusson DM, Horwood L, Lynskey MT. Childhood sexual abuse and psychiatric disorder in young adulthood: II. Psychiatric outcomes of childhood sexual abuse. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35:1365–1374. [PubMed] 107. Fergusson DM, Lynskey MT, Horwood LJ. Childhood sexual abuse and psychiatric disorder in young adulthood: I. Prevalence of sexual abuse and factors associated with sexual abuse. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35:1355–1364. [PubMed] 108. Brown J, Cohen P, Johnson JG, Smailes EM. Childhood abuse and neglect: Specificity of effects on adolescent and young adult depression and suicidality. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:1490–1496. [PubMed] 109. Borowsky IW, Resnick MD, Ireland M, Blum RW. Suicide attempts among American Indian and Alaska native youth: Risk and protective factors. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 1999;153:573–580. [PubMed] 110. Molnar BE, Buka SL, Kessler RC. Child sexual abuse and subsequent psychopathology: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:753–760. [PubMed]
111. Herrenkohl EC, Herrenkohl RC, Toedter LJ. Perspectives on the intergenerational transmission of abuse in The Dark Side of Families. In: Finkelhor D, Gelles RJ, Hotaling GT, Straus MA, editors. Current Family Violence Research. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage; 1983. pp. 305–316.
112. Caspi A, McClay J, Moffitt TE, Mill J, Martin J, Craig IW, Taylor A, Poulton R. Role of genotype in the cycle of violence in maltreated children. Science. 2002;297:851–854. [PubMed] 113. Caspi A, Sugden K, Moffitt TE, Taylor A, Craig IW, Harrington H, McClay J, Mill J, Martin J, Braithwaite A, Poulton R. Influence of life stress on depression: Moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HT gene. Science. 2003;301:386–389. [PubMed] 114. Molnar BE, Berkman LF, Buka SL. Psychopathology, childhood sexual abuse and other childhood adversities: Relative links to subsequent suicidal behavior in the U.S. Psychol Med. 2001;31:965–977. [PubMed] 115. Dinwiddie S, Heath AC, Dunne MP, Bucholz KK, Madden PAF, Slutske WS, Bierut L, Statham DB, Martin NG. Early sexual abuse and lifetime psychopathology: A co-twin-control study. Psychol Med. 2000;30:41–52. [PubMed] 116. Francis D, Diorio J, Liu D, Meaney M. Nongenomic transmission across generations of maternal behavior and stress responses in the rat. Science. 1999;286:1155–1158. [PubMed]
117. Liu D, Diorio J, Day JC, Francis D, Meaney M. Maternal care, hippocampal synaptogenesis and cognitive development in rats. Nature Neuroscience. 2000;3:799–806.
118. Anisman H, Zaharia M, Meaney M, Merali Z. Do early-life events permanently alter behavioral and hormonal responses to stressors? International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience. 1998;16:149–164. [PubMed] 119. DeBellis MD. Developmental traumatology: The psychobiological development of maltreated children and its implications for research, treatment, and policy. Development and Psychopathology. 2001;13:539–564. [PubMed] 120. Manuck SB, Flory JD, McCaffery JM, Matthews KA, Mann JJ, Muldoon MF. Aggression, impulsivity, and central nervous system serotonergic responsivity in a nonpatient sample. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1998;19:287–299. [PubMed]
121. Mann JJ. Neurobiology of suicidal behavior. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2003;4:819–828.
122. Champoux M, Bennett A, Shannon C, Higley JD, Lesch KP, Suomi S. Serotonin transporter gene polymorphism, differential early rearing, and behavior in rhesus monkey neonates. Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7:1058–1063. [PubMed] 123. Pine DS, Coplan J, Wasserman GA, Miller LS, Fried JE, Davies M, Cooper TB, Greenhill L, Shaffer D, Parsons B. Neuroendocrine response to fenfluramine challenge in boys. Associations with aggressive behavior and adverse rearing. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1997;54:839–846. [PubMed] 124. Kaufman J, Birmaher B, Perel J, Dahl R, Stull S, Brent D, Trubnick LA-SM, Ryan N. Serotonergic functioning in depressed abused children: Clinical and familial correlates. Biol Psychiatry. 1998;44:973–981. [PubMed] 125. Rutter M, Dunn J, Plomin R, Simonoff E, Pickles A, Maughan B, Ormel J, Meyer J, Eaves L. Integrating nature and nurture: Implications of person-environment correlations and interactions for developmental psychopathology. Development & Psychopathology. 1997;9:335–364. [PubMed] 126. Kelleher K, Chaffin M, Hollenberg J, Fischer E. Alcohol and drug disorders among physically abusive and neglectful parents in a community-based sample. Am J Public Health. 1994;84:1586–1590. [PubMed] 127. Eaves L, Silberg J, Erkanli A. Resolving multiple epigenetic pathways to adolescent depression. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2003;44:1006–1014. [PubMed] 128. Kaufman J, Yang BZ, Douglas-Palumberi H, Grasso D, Lipschitz D, Houshyar S, Krystal JH, Gelernter J. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-5-HTTLPR gene interactions and environmental modifiers of depression in children. Biol Psychiatry. 2006;59:673–680. [PubMed] 129. Zalsman G, Huang Y-Y, Oquendo MA, Burke AK, Hu X-Z, Brent DA, Ellis SP, Goldman D, Mann JJ. Association of a triallelic serotonin transporter gene promoter polymorphism region (5-HTTLPR), with stressful life events and severity of depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:1588–1593. [PubMed] 130. Kaufman J, Yang BZ, Douglas-Palumberi H, Houshyar S, Lischitz D, Krystal JH, Gelernter J. Social supports and serotonin transporter gene moderate depression in maltreated children. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2004;101:17316–17321. [PubMed] 131. Fergusson DM, Lynskey MT. Adolescent resiliency to family adversity. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1996;37:281–292. [PubMed] 132. Fergusson DM, Woodward LJ, Horwood LJ. Risk factors and life processes associated with the onset of suicidal behaviour during adolescence and early adulthood. Psychol Med. 2000;30:23–39. [PubMed]