1. Boulton MJ, Underwood K. Bully/victim problems among middle school children. Br J Educ Psychol. 1992;62:73–87. [PubMed]
2. Olweus D. Aggression in the Schools: Bullies and Whipping Boys. Washington, DC: Hemisphere Publishing Corp; 1978.
3. Salmivalli C, Kaukiainen A, Kaistaniemi L, Lagerspetz KM. Self-evaluated self-esteem, peer-evaluated self-esteem, and defensive egotism as predictors of adolescents’ participation in bullying situations. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 1999;25:1268–1278.
4. Slee PT. Bullying in the playground: the impact of inter-personal violence on Australian children’s perceptions of their play environment. Child Environ. 1995;12:320–327.
5. King A, Wold B, Tudor-Smith C, Harel Y. The Health of Youth: A Cross-National Survey. Canada: WHO Library Cataloguing; 1994. WHO Regional Publications, European Series No. 69.
6. US Department of Education. 1999 Annual Report on School Safety. Washington, DC: US Dept of Education; 1999. pp. 1–66.
7. Borg MG. The extent and nature of bullying among primary and secondary schoolchildren. Educ Res. 1999;41:137–153.
8. Kaltiala-Heino R, Rimpela M, Marttunen M, Rimpela A, Rantanen P. Bullying, depression, and suicidal ideation in Finnish adolescents: school survey. BMJ. 1999;319:348–351. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
9. Menesini E, Eslea M, Smith PK, et al. Cross-national comparison of children’s attitudes towards bully/victim problems in school. Aggressive Behav. 1997;23:245–257.
10. Olweus D. Bullying at School: What We Know and What We Can Do. Oxford, England: Blackwell; 1993.
11. O’Moore AM, Smith KM. Bullying behaviour in Irish schools: a nationwide study. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:141–169.
12. Whitney I, Smith PK. A survey of the nature and extent of bullying in junior/middle and secondary schools. Educ Res. 1993;34:3–25.
13. Rivers I, Smith PK. Types of bullying behaviour and their correlates. Aggressive Behav. 1994;20:359–368.
14. Baldry AC. Bullying among Italian middle school students. Sch Psychol Int. 1998;19:361–374.
15. Austin S, Joseph S. Assessment of bully/victim problems in 8 to 11 year-olds. Br J Educ Psychol. 1996;66:447–456. [PubMed] 16. Bijttebier P, Vertommen H. Coping with peer arguments in school-age children with bully/victim problems. Br J Educ Psychol. 1998;68:387–394. [PubMed] 17. Forero R, McLellan L, Rissel C, Bauman A. Bullying behaviour and psychosocial health among school students in New South Wales, Australia: cross sectional survey. BMJ. 1999;319:344–348. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
18. Byrne BJ. Bullies and victims in a school setting with reference to some Dublin schools. Ir J Psychol. 1994;15:574–586.
19. Kumpulainen K, Rasanen E, Henttonen I, et al. Bullying and psychiatric symptoms among elementary school-age children. Child Abuse Negl. 1998;22:705–717. [PubMed] 20. Rigby K. Peer victimisation at school and the health of secondary school students. Br J Educ Psychol. 1999;68:95–104. [PubMed]
21. Slee PT, Rigby K. The relationship of Eysenck’s personality factors and self-esteem to bully-victim behaviour in Australian schoolboys. Pers Individual Differences. 1993;14:371–373.
22. Salmivalli C, Lappalainen M, Lagerspetz KM. Stability and change of behavior in connection with bullying in schools. Aggressive Behav. 1998;24:205–218.
23. Salmon G, James A, Smith DM. Bullying in schools: self reported anxiety, depression and self esteem in secondary school children. BMJ. 1998;317:924–925. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 24. Slee PT, Rigby K. Australian school children’s self appraisal of interpersonal relations: the bullying experience. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 1993;23:273–282. [PubMed] 25. Williams K, Chambers M, Logan S, Robinson D. Association of common health symptoms with bullying in primary school children. BMJ. 1996;313:17–19. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
26. Haynie DL, Nansel TR, Eitel P, et al. Bullies, victims, and bully/victims: distinct groups of youth at-risk. J Early Adolescence. 2001;21:29–50.
28. Olweus D. The Nature of School Bullying: A Cross-National Perspective. London, England: Routledge; 1999.
29. Shah BV, Barnwell GG, Bieler GS. SUDAAN User’s Manual, Release 7.5. Research Triangle Park, NC: Research Triangle Institute; 1997.
30. McCullah P. Regression models for ordinal data. J R Stat Soc. 1980;42:109–142.
31. Zeger SL, Liang KY. Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes. Biometrics. 1996;42:121–130. [PubMed]
32. Hoover JH, Oliver R, Hazler RJ. Bullying: perceptions of adolescent victims in the Midwestern USA. Sch Psychol Int. 1992;13:5–16.
33. Hoover JH, Oliver RL, Thomson KA. Perceived victimization by school bullies: new research and future direction. J Hum Educ Dev. 1993;32:76–84.
34. Farrington DP. The development of offending and antisocial behaviour from childhood: key findings from the Cambridge Study in Delinquent Development [The Twelfth Jack Tizard Memorial Lecture] J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1995;36:929–964. [PubMed]
35. Farrington DP. Childhood aggression and adult violence: early precursors and later-life outcomes. Child Aggression Adult Violence. 1996:5–29.
36. Pellegrini AD. Bullies and victims in school: a review and call for research. J Appl Dev Psychol. 1998;19:165–176.
37. Pellegrini AD, Bartini M, Brooks F. School bullies, victims, and aggressive victims: factors relating to group affiliation and victimization in early adolescence. J Educ Psychol. 1999;91:216–224.
38. Huttunen A, Salmivalli C, Lagerspetz KM. Friendship networks and bullying in schools. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1996;794:355–359.
39. Olweus D. Bullying among schoolchildren: intervention and prevention. In: Peters RD, McMahon RJ, Quinsey VL, editors. Aggression and Violence Throughout the Life Span. London, England: Sage Publications; 1992. pp. 100–125.
40. Olweus D. Bullying at school: long-term outcomes for the victims and an effective school-based intervention program. In: Huesmann LR, editor. Aggressive Behavior: Current Perspectives. New York, NY: Plenum Press; 1994. pp. 97–130.
41. Olweus D. Bully/victim problems among school children: basic facts and effects of a school based intervention program. In: Pepler D, Rubin KH, editors. The Development and Treatment of Childhood Aggression. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc; 1991. pp. 411–448.
42. Smith PK. Bullying in schools: the UK experience and the Sheffield Anti-Bullying Project. Ir J Psychol. 1997;18:191–201.
43. Sharp S, Smith PK. Bullying in UK schools: the DES Sheffield Bullying Project. Early Child Dev Care. 1991;77:47–55.