1. Berger KM. Carnivore-livestock conflicts: effects of subsidized predator control and economic correlates on the sheep industry. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:751–761. [PubMed]
2. Thirgood SJ, Redpath SM, Haydon DT, Rothery P, Newton I, et al. Habitat loss and raptor predation: disentangling long- and short-term causes of red grouse declines. Proc Roy Soc Lond Ser B. 2000;267:651–656.
3. Redpath S M, Arroyo BE, Leckie FM, Bacon P, Bayfield N, et al. Using decision modeling with stakeholders to reduce human-wildlife conflict: a raptor-grouse case study. Conserv Biol. 2004;18:350–359.
4. Graham K, Beckerman AP, Thirgood S. Human–predator–prey conflicts: ecological correlates, prey losses and patterns of management. Biol Conserv. 2005;122:159–171.
5. Mitchell BR, Jaeger MM, Barrett RH. Coyote depredation management: current methods and research needs. Wildl Soc Bull. 2004;32:1209–1218.
6. Kenward RE, Hall DG, Walls SS, Hodder KH. Factors affecting predation by buzzards Buteo buteo on released pheasants Phasianus colchicus. J Appl Ecol. 2001;38:813–822.
7. Côté IM, Sutherland WJ. The scientific basis for predator control for bird conservation. English Nature Research Reports No. 144. 1995
8. Perry D, Perry G. Improving interactions between animal rights groups and conservation biologists. Conserv Biol. 2008;22:27–35. [PubMed]
9. Hone J. Analysis of vertebrate pest control. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1994.
10. Valkama J, Korpimäki E, Arroyo EB, Beja P, Bretagnolle V, et al. Birds of prey as limiting factors of gamebird populations in Europe: a review. Biol Rev. 2005;80:171–203. [PubMed] 11. Errington PL. Factors limiting higher vertebrate populations. Science. 1956;124:304–307. [PubMed]
12. Rosenzweig ML. Aspects of Biological Exploitation. Quart Rev Biol. 1977;52:371–380.
13. Korpimäki E, Krebs CJ. Predation and population cycles of small mammals–a reassessment of the predation hypothesis. BioScience. 1996;46:754–764.
14. Côté IM, Sutherland WJ. The effectiveness of removing predators to protect bird populations. Conserv Biol. 1997;11:395–405.
15. Sinclair ARE, Perch RP, Dickman CR, Hik D, Mahon P, et al. Predicting effects of predation on conservation of endangered prey. Conserv Biol. 1998;12:564–575.
16. Gurevitch J, Morrison JA, Hedges LV. The interaction between competition and predation: a meta-analysis of field experiments. Am Nat. 2000;155:435–453. [PubMed]
17. Korpimäki E, Brown PR, Jacob J, Perch RP. The puzzles of population cycles and outbreaks of small mammals solved? BioScience. 2004;54:1071–1079.
18. Messier F. Ungulate population models with predation: A case study with the North American moose. Ecology. 1994;75:478–488.
19. Messier F, Crete M. Moose-wolf dynamics and natural regulation of moose populations. Oecologia. 1985;65:503–512.
20. Reynolds J, Tapper SC. Control of mammalian predators in game management and conservation. Mammal Rev. 1996;26:127–156.
21. Rosenthal R. The “file-drawer problem” and tolerance for null results. Psychol Bull. 1979;85:638–641.
22. Newton I. Population limitation in birds. London: Academic Press; 1998.
23. Salo P, Korpimäki E, Banks PH, Nordström M, Dickman CR. Alien predators are more dangerous than native predators to prey populations. Proc Roy Soc Lond Ser B. 2007;274:1237–1243.
24. Parr R. Nest Predation and numbers of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria and other moorland waders. Bird Study. 1993;40:223–231.
25. Parker M. Effect of corvid removal on reproduction of willow ptarmigan and black grouse. J Wildl Mgmt. 1984;48:1197–1205.
26. Korpimäki E, Norrdahl K. Experimental reduction of predators reverses the crash phase of small-rodent cycles. Ecology. 1998;79:2448–2455.
27. Newton I. Predation and limitation of bird numbers. Current Ornithology. 1993;11:143–198.
28. Bolton M, Tyler G, Smith K, Bamford R. The impact of predator control on lapwing Vanellus vanellus breeding success on wet grassland nature reserves. J Appl Ecol. 2007;44:534–544.
29. Pullin AS, Stewart G. Guidelines for systematic review in conservation and environmental management. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:1647–1656. [PubMed]
30. Rosenberg MS, Adams D, Gurevitch J. MetaWin: statistical software for meta-analysis, version 2. Sinauer Associates, Inc. USA. 2000
31. Hedges LV, Gurevitch J, Curtis PS. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology. 1999;80:1150–1156.
32. Osenberg CW, Sarnelle O, Cooper SD, Holt RD. Resolving ecological questions through meta-analysis: goals, metrics and models. Ecology. 1999;80:1105–1117.
33. Gregory RD, Wilkinson NI, Noble DG, Robinson JA, Brown A, et al. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–2007. British Birds. 2002;95:410–450.
34. Craik C. Long-term effects of North American Mink Mustella vison on seabirds in western Scotland. Bird Study. 1997;44:303–309.
35. Holm S. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scand J Statist. 1979;6:65–70.
36. Leimu R, Koricheva J. What determines the citation frequency of ecological papers? Trends Ecol Evol. 2005;20:28–32. [PubMed]
37. Palmer AR. Detecting publication bias in meta-analyses: a case study of fluctuating asymmetry and sexual selection. Am Nat. 1999;15:798–812.
38. Rosenberg MS. The file-drawer problem revisited: a general weighted method for calculating fail-safe numbers in meta-analysis. Evolution. 2005;59:464–468. [PubMed]
39. Baines D. The implications of grazing and predator management on the habitats and breeding success of black grouse Tetrao tetrix. J Appl Ecol. 1996;33:54–62.
40. Clode D, MacDonald DW. Invasive predators and the conservation of island birds: the case of American Mink Mustela vison and terns Sterna spp. in the Western Isles, Scotland. Bird Study. 2002;49:118–123.
41. Craik JCA. Effects of North American mink on the breeding success of terns and smaller gulls in west Scotland. Seabird. 1995;17:3–11.
42. Craik JCA. Recent mink-related declines of gulls and terns in west Scotland and the beneficial effects of mink control. Argyll Bird Report. 1998;14:98–110.
43. Ferreras P, MacDonald DW. The Impact of American mink Mustela vison on water birds in the upper Thames. J App Ecol. 1999;36:701–708.
44. Fletcher K. Does predator control help ground-nesting birds? The Game Conservancy Review of 2004. 2005;36:64–67.
45. Jackson D B, Green RE. The importance of the introduced hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus) as a predator of the eggs of waders (Charadrii) on machair in South Uist, Scotland. Biol Conserv. 2000;93:333–348.
46. Jackson D B, Fuller RJ, Campbell ST. Long-term population changes among breeding shorebirds in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, in relation to introduced hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus). Biol Conserv. 2004;117:151–166.
47. Redpath SM. The impact of hen harriers on red grouse breeding success. J Appl Ecol. 1991;28:659–671.
48. Smith TD. A survey of Tern productivity in the Uists and Benbecula (part of the Hebridean mink project). RSPB Scotland. 2004
49. Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) Mink control to protect important birds in SPAs in the Western Isles, Interim report to EU. Life-Nature III. 2004
50. Summers RW, Baines D, Dugan D, Green RE, Moncreiff R, et al. Changes in the productivities and populations of capercaillie Tetrao urgallus and black grouse Tetrao tetrix in relation to predation at Abernethy Forest, Strathspey. Internal Interim Report (RSPB) September 1996. 1996
51. Summers RW, Green RE, Proctor R, Dugan D, Lambie D, et al. An experimental study of the effects of predation on the breeding productivity of capercaillie and black grouse. J Appl Ecol. 2004;41:513–525.
52. Summers RW, Proctor R, Dugan D, Moncreiff R. The productivity of capercaillie Tetrao urgallus in relation to predation at Abernethy Forest, Strathspey. RSPB Internal Report January 1995. 1995
53. Tapper SC, Brockless M, Potts D. The Salisbury Plain Predation Experiment: the conclusion. The Game Conservancy Annual Review of 1990. 1991;22:87–91.
54. Tapper SC, Brockless M, Potts GR. Effet de la limitation des predateurs sur les populations de perdix grise (Perdix perdix) et le lievre d'Europe (Lepus europaeus). Actes du colloque prédation et gestion des prédateurs (eds P.Migot et Ph Stahl) Dourdan 1–2 Dec 1992, ONC-UNFDC, Paris. 1993
55. Tapper SC, Potts GR, Brockless MH. The effect of an experimental reduction in predation pressure on the breeding success and population density of grey partridges Perdix perdix. J App Ecol. 1996;33:965–978.