1. Flegal K, Carroll M, Kuezmarski R, Johnson C. Overweight and obesity in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960–1994. Int J Obes. 1998;22:39–47.
2. Pittler MH, Ernst E. Complementary therapies for reducing body weight: a systematic review. Int J Obes. 2005;29(9):1011–29.
3. Moore BA, Bowers A. Weight loss. In: Fisher JE, O’Donohue WT, editors. Practitioner’s guide to evidence-based psychotherapy. New York, NY: Springer; 2006. pp. 734–43.
4. Peeters A, Barendregt JJ, Willekins F, Mackenbach JP, Mamun AA, Bonneux L. Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138:24–32. [PubMed] 5. Birmingham CL, Muller JL, Palepu A, Spinelli JJ, Anis AH. The cost of obesity in Canada. CMAJ. 1999;160(4):483–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
6. Wilson GT. Behavioral treatment of obesity: thirty years and counting. Adv Behav Res Ther. 1994;16(1):31–75.
7. Wadden TA, Tsai AG. Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142:56–66. [PubMed] 8. Klein DF. Harmful dysfunction, disorder, disease, illness, and evolution. J Abnorm Psychol. 1999;108(3):421–9. [PubMed] 9. Goel MS, McCarthy EP, Phillips RS, Wee CC. Obesity among US immigrant subgroups by duration of residence. JAMA. 2004;292:2860–7. [PubMed]
10. Davies KM, Heany RP, Recker RR, Barger-Lux MJ, Lappe JM. Hormones, weight change and menopause. Int J Obes. 2001;25:874–9.
11. Corica F, Corsonello A, Luchetti M, Malara A, DeDomenico D, Cannavo L, et al. Relationship between metabolic syndrome and platelet responsiveness to lepitin in overweight and obese patients. Int J Obes. 2007;31:842–9.
12. American Dietetic Association Public Relations Team. Nutrition and you: trends 2000. What do Americans think, need, expect? J Am Diet Assoc. 2000;100:626–7. [PubMed] 13. Feinstein AR. The treatment of obesity: an analysis of methods, results, and factors which influence success. J Chronic Dis. 1960;11:349–93. [PubMed] 14. Swann WB, Jr, Chang-Schneider C, Larson McClarty K. Do people’s self-views matter? Self-concept and self-esteem in everyday life. Am Psychol. 2007;62(2):84–94. [PubMed]
15. Smith LM, Fouad NA. Subject-matter specificity of self-efficacy, outcome expectancies, interests and goals: implications for the social-cognitive model. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999;46(4):461–71.
16. Bennet P, Moore L, Smith A, Murphy S, Smith C. Health locus of control and value for health as predictors of dietary behaviour. Psychol Health. 1994;10(1):41–54.
17. Ryan RM, Deci EL. Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development and well-being. Am Psychol. 2000;55(1):68–78. [PubMed]
18. Stajkovic AD, Luthans F. Self-efficacy and work related performance: a meta-analysis. Psychol Bull. 1998;124(2):240–61.
19. DuBois DL, Flay BR. The healthy pursuit of self-esteem: comment on alternative to Crocker and Park (2004) Psychol Bull. 2004;130(3):415–20. [PubMed] 20. Bandura A. Human agency in cognitive theory. Am Psychol. 1989;44(9):1175–84. [PubMed] 21. Martin DJ, Garske JP, Davis MK. Relation of therapeutic alliance with outcome and other variables. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2000;68(3):438–50. [PubMed] 22. Hu FB, Willett WC. Optimal diets for prevention of coronary heart disease. JAMA. 2002;288:2569–78. [PubMed] 23. Jeffery RW, Wing RR, Thorson C, Burton LR. Use of personal trainers and financial incentives to increase exercise in a behavioural weight-loss program. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998;66(5):777–83. [PubMed] 24. Wadden TA, Vogt RA, Foster GD, Anderson DA. Exercise and the maintenance of weight-loss: a one-year follow-up. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998;66(2):429–33. [PubMed] 25. Greenland P, Knoll MD, Stamler J, Neaton JD, Dyer AR, Garside DB, et al. Major risk factors as antecedents of fatal and non fatal coronary heart disease events. JAMA. 2003;290:898–904. [PubMed] 26. Polivy J, Herman CP, McFarlane T. Effects of anxiety on eating: does palatability moderate distress-induced overeating in dieters? J Abnorm Psychol. 1994;103(3):505–10. [PubMed] 27. Heatherton TF, Baumiester RF. Binge-eating as an escape from self-awareness. Psychol Bull. 1991;110(10):86–106. [PubMed] 28. Cochrane GJ, Friesen J. Hypnotherapy in weight loss treatment. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1986;54(4):489–92. [PubMed] 29. Wing RR, Jeffery RW. Outpatient treatments of obesity: a comparison of methodology and clinical results. Int J Obes. 1979;3:261–79. [PubMed]
30. Harvey EL, Glenny AM, Kirk SFL, Summerbelt CD. A systematic review of interventions to improve health professionals’ management of obesity. Int J Obes. 1999;23(12):1213–22.
31. Matz PE, Foster GD, Faith MS, Wadden TA. Correlates of body image dissatisfaction among overweight women seeking weight loss. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2002;70(4):1040–4. [PubMed] 32. Pike KM, Rodin J. Mothers daughters and disordered eating. J Abnorm Psychol. 1991;100(2):198–204. [PubMed]
33. Johnson JG, Cohen P, Brook JS, Kotler L, Kasen S. Psychiatric disorders associated with risk for the development of eating disorders during adolescence and early adulthood. J Consul Clin Psychol. 2002;70(5):1119–28.
34. Parsons TJ, Power C, Logan S, Summerbell CD. Childhood predictors of adult obesity: a systematic review. Int J Obes. 1999;23(Supp 8):S1–35.
35. Dominy NL, Johnson WB, Koch C. Perception of parental acceptance in women with binge eating disorder. J Psychol. 2000;134(1):23–36. [PubMed]
36. Cochrane GJ. The self-worth odyssey. Vancouver, BC: Devon Productions; 2006.
37. Baumeister RF, Scher SJ. Self-defeating behaviourpatterns amongnormal individuals:a review andanalysis of common self-destructive tendencies. Psychol Bull. 1988;104(1):3–22. [PubMed] 38. Taylor SE, Kemeny ME, Reed GM, Bower JE, Greunewald TL. Psychological resources, positive illusions and health. Am Psychol. 2000;55(1):99–109. [PubMed] 39. Salovey P, Rothman AJ, Detweiler JB, Steward WT. Emotional states and physical health. Am Psychol. 2000;55(1):110–9. [PubMed]
40. Greeno CG, Wing RR, Shiffman S. Binge antecedents in obese women with and without binge eating disorder. J Consul Clin Psychol. 2000;68(1):95–102.
41. Carels RA, Douglas OM, Cacciapaglia HM, O’Brien WH. An ecological momentary assessment of relapse crisis in dieting. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004;72(2):341–8. [PubMed]
42. Cochrane GJ. Self-worth enhancement in psychotherapy: a role for creative imagery. CPA-accredited continuing education program for psychologists. 2007
43. Christakis NA, Fowler JH. The spread of obesity in a large social network over 32 years. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:370–9. [PubMed] 44. Wing RR, Tate DF, Gorin AA, Raynor HA, Fava JL, Machan J. Stop regain: are there negative effects of daily weighing. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2007;75:652–6. [PubMed]