3. Winchester DP, Stewart AK, Bura C, et al. The National Cancer Data Base: A clinical surveillance and quality improvement tool. J Surg Oncol 2004;85:1–3. [PubMed]
6. Cancer Registries Amendment Act, Public Law 102–515. Congressional Record 1992; 138, 106 STAT 3372–7.
7. Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards. Chicago: Commission on Cancer; 2004.
8. Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E, et al. Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:10–30. [PubMed] 9. National Cancer Institute: SEER Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results. http://seer.cancer.gov/. Cited 26 January 2007.
13. A. K. Stewart, E. G. Gay, L. Patel-Parekh, et al. Provider feedback improves reporting on quality measures: National profile reports for adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer. Presented at the American Society of Clincal Oncology Annual Meeting, Chicago, 2007.
15. Sylvester M, Blankenship C, Carter A, et al. Quality control: The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Standards, National Cancer Data Base, and Cancer Liason Program. J Reg Mgmt 2001;28:68–74 .
16. Eberle C, Phillips J, Tary P, et al. Quality management in the National Cancer Data Base: A re-abstracting study of the Midwest region. J Reg Mgmt 1997;24:93–7 .
17. Fremgen A, Jessup J, Menck HR. Hospital use of NCDB data to assess quality of cancer patient care. J Reg Mgmt 1995;22:69–71 .
18. Mulnar K, Phillips J, Fritz A, et al. Quality of oncology data: Findings from the Commission on Cancer PCE study. J Reg Mgmt 2001;28:24–34 .
19. Standards for Cancer Registries. Data Standards and Data Dictionary, 8th Ed., Version 10.1, Vol. II. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries; 2003.
20. International Classification of Disease for Oncology, 3rd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000.
21. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 6th ed. Chicago, IL: Springer; 2002.
22. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), 1996. Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information; Final Rule (45 CFR Parts 160 and 164)
24. Bilimoria KY, Tomlinson JS, Merkow RP, et al. Clinicopathologic features and treatment trends of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: analysis of 9,821 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1460–9. [PubMed] 25. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Linn JG, et al. Utilization of total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer in the United States. Surgery 2007; 142(6):906–13. [PubMed]
26. Jessup JM, Stewart A, Greene FL, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer: implications of race/ethnicity, age, and differentiation. J Am Med Assoc 2005;294:2703–11 .
27. You YN, Baxter NN, Stewart A, et al. Is the increasing rate of local excision for stage I rectal cancer in the United States justified? A nationwide cohort study from the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg 2007;245:726–33. [PubMed] 28. David KA, Milowsky MI, Ritchey J, et al. Low incidence of perioperative chemotherapy for stage III bladder cancer 1998 to 2003: A report from the National Cancer Data Base. J Urol 2007;178:451–4. [PubMed] 29. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. Multimodality therapy for pancreatic cancer in the U.S.: Utilization, outcomes, and the effect of hospital volume. Cancer 2007;110:1227–34. [PubMed] 30. Kennedy T, Stewart AK, Bilimoria KY, et al. Treatment trends and factors associated with survival in T1aN0 and T1bN0 breast cancer patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:2918–27. [PubMed]
31. Hoffman HT, Porter K, Karnell LH, et al. Laryngeal cancer in the United States: Changes in demographics, patterns of care, and survival. Laryngoscope 2006;116:S1–13 .
32. Singletary SE, Patel-Parekh L, Bland KI. Treatment trends in early-stage invasive lobular carcinoma: A report from the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Surg 2005;242:281–9. [PubMed]
33. Bilimoria KY, Talamonti M, Tomlinson JS, et al. Prognostic score predicting survival after resection of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: Analysis of 3,851 patients. Ann Surg 2007; in press.
34. Pezzi CM, Patel-Parekh L, Cole K, et al. Characteristics and treatment of metaplastic breast cancer: Analysis of 892 cases from the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:166–73. [PubMed] 35. Lange JR, Palis BE, Chang DC, et al. Melanoma in children and teenagers: an analysis of patients from the National Cancer Data Base. J Clin Oncol 2007;25:1363–8. [PubMed] 36. Zhen W, Karnell LH, Hoffman HT, et al. The National Cancer Data Base report on squamous cell carcinoma of the base of tongue. Head Neck 2004;26:660–74. [PubMed] 37. Smith RB, Apostolakis LW, Karnell LH, et al. National Cancer Data Base report on osteosarcoma of the head and neck. Cancer 2003;98:1670–80. [PubMed] 38. Lee JH, Barich F, Karnell LH, et al. National Cancer Data Base report on malignant paragangliomas of the head and neck. Cancer 2002; 94:730–7. [PubMed] 39. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. National failure to operate on early stage pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg 2007;246:173–80. [PubMed] 40. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. Validation of the 6th edition AJCC Pancreatic Cancer Staging System: report from the National Cancer Database. Cancer 2007;110:738–44. [PubMed] 41. Swanson RS, Compton CC, Stewart AK, et al. The prognosis of T3N0 colon cancer is dependent on the number of lymph nodes examined. Ann Surg Oncol 2003;10:65–71. [PubMed] 42. Fong Y, Wagman L, Gonen M, et al. Evidence-based gallbladder cancer staging: Changing cancer staging by analysis of data from the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg 2006;243:767–71; discussion 771–4. [PubMed]
43. Bilimoria K, Bentrem DJ, Merkow R, et al. Application of the pancreatic adenocarcinoma staging system to pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. J Am Coll Surg 2007; in press.
44. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. Validation of the 6(th) edition AJCC pancreatic cancer staging system: report from the National Cancer Database. Cancer 2007;110:738–44. [PubMed] 45. Greene FL. TNM staging for malignancies of the digestive tract: 2003 changes and beyond. Semin Surg Oncol 2003;21:23–9. [PubMed] 46. Greene FL, Stewart AK, Norton HJ. New tumor-node-metastasis staging strategy for node-positive (stage III) rectal cancer: An analysis. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:1778–84. [PubMed] 47. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. Extent of surgery affects survival for papillary thyroid cancer. Ann Surg 2007;246:375–384. [PubMed]
48. Bilimoria K, Stewart A, Palis B, et al. Adequacy and importance of nodal examination for colon cancer in the elderly. J Am Coll Surg 2007.
49. Bilimoria K, Talamonti MS, Ko C, et al. Effect of hospital type and volume on lymph node evaluation for gastric and pancreatic cancer. Western Surgical Association Annual Meeting, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 2007.
50. Reid-Lombardo KM, Gay G, Patel-Parekh L, et al. Treatment of gastric adenocarcinoma may differ among hospital types in the United States, a report from the National Cancer Data Base. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:410–9; discussion 419–20. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 51. Malin JL, Kahn KL, Adams J, et al. Validity of cancer registry data for measuring the quality of breast cancer care. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:835–44. [PubMed] 52. Halpern MT, Bian J, Ward EM, et al. Insurance status and stage of cancer at diagnosis among women with breast cancer. Cancer 2007;110:403–11. [PubMed]
53. Shin SH, Palis BE, Perry RR. Cutaneous Melanoma in Asian Americans. Society of Surgical Oncology 2007 Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, 2007.
54. McGinnis LS, Menck HR, Eyre HJ, et al. National Cancer Data Base survey of breast cancer management for patients from low income zip codes. Cancer 2000;88:933–45. [PubMed] 55. Newman LA, Lee CT, Parekh LP, et al. Use of the National Cancer Data Base to develop clinical trials accrual targets that are appropriate for minority ethnicity patients: a report from the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG) Special Population Committee. Cancer 2006;106:188–95. [PubMed]
56. Bilimoria KY, Stewart A, Tomlinson JS, et al. Impact of adjuvant radiation on survival: A note of caution when using cancer registry data to evaluate adjuvant treatments. Ann Surg Oncol 2007; in press.
57. Miller DC, Spencer BA, Ritchey J, et al. Treatment choice and quality of care for men with localized prostate cancer. Med Care 2007;45:401–9. [PubMed] 58. Warren JL, Harlan LC. Can cancer registry data be used to study cancer treatment? Med Care 2003;41(9):1003–5. [PubMed] 59. Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Ko CY, et al. Extent of surgery affects survival for papillary thyroid cancer. Ann Surg 2007;246:375–81, discussion 381–4. [PubMed]