1. Kessler R. Posttraumatic stress disorder: the burden to the individual and to society. J Clin Psychiatry. 2000;61(Suppl 5):4–12. [PubMed] 2. Najavits LM, Weiss RD, Shaw SR. The link between substance abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder in women: a research review. Am J Addict. 1997;6:273–283. [PubMed] 3. Brown JR, Hill HM, Lambert SF. Traumatic stress symptoms in women exposed to community and partner violence. J Interpers Violence. 2005;20:1478–1494. [PubMed] 4. Kessler RC, Sonnega A, Bromet E, Hughes M, Nelson CB. Posttraumatic stress disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995;52:1048–1060. [PubMed] 5. Hidalgo RB, Davidson JR. Posttraumatic stress disorder: epidemiology and health-related considerations. J Clin Psychiatry. 2000;61:5–13. [PubMed] 6. Davidson JR. Trauma: the impact of post-traumatic stress disorder. J Psychopharmacol. 2000;14:S5–S12. [PubMed] 7. Stevens SJ, Murphy BS, McKnight K. Traumatic stress and gender differences in relationship to substance abuse, mental health, physical health, and HIV risk behavior in a sample of adolescents enrolled in drug treatment. Child Maltreat. 2003;8:46–57. [PubMed] 8. Claus RE, Kindleberger LR. Engaging substance abusers after centralized assessment: predictors of treatment entry and dropout. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2002;34:25–31. [PubMed]
9. Amaro H, Nieves R, Johannes SW, Cabeza NML. Substance abuse treatment: critical issues and challenges in the treatment of Latina women. Hisp J Behav Sci. 1999;21:266–282.
10. Thompson MP, Kingree JB. The frequency and impact of violent trauma among pregnant substance abusers. Addict Behav. 1998;23:257–262. [PubMed]
11. Barrowclough C, Haddock G, Tarrier N, et al. Randomized controlled trial of motivational interviewing, cognitive behavior therapy, and family intervention for patients with comorbid schizophrenia and substance use disorders. Am J Psych. 2001;158:1706–1713.
12. Ouimette PC, Brown PJ, Najavits LM. Course and treatment of patients with both substance use and posttraumatic stress disorders. Addic Behav. 1998;23:785–795.
13. Brown PJ, Stout RL, Gannon-Rowley J. Substance use disorders-PTSD comorbidity: patient’s perceptions of symptom interplay and treatment issues. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1998;15:445–448. [PubMed]
14. Ouimette P, Brown PJ. Trauma and Substance Abuse: Causes, Consequences, and Treatment of Comorbid Disorders. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association; 2002.
15. Najavits LM, Sullivan TP, Schmitz M, Weiss RD, Catherine SN, Lee BA. Treatment utilization by women with PTSD and substance dependence. Am J Addict. 2004;13:215–224. [PubMed] 16. Hellerstein DJ, Rosenthal RN, Miner CR. Integrating services for schizophrenia and substance abuse. Psychiatr Q. 2001;72:291–306. [PubMed] 17. Najavits L, Weiss R, Shaw S, Muenz L. “Seeking safety”: outcome of a new cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for women with post-traumatic stress disorder and substance dependence. J Trauma Stress. 1998;22:437–456. [PubMed] 18. Rach Beisel J, Scott J, Dixon L. Co-occurring severe mental illness and substance use disorders: a review of recent research. Psychiatr Serv. 1999;50:1427–1434. [PubMed] 19. McCaul ME, Svikis DS, Moore RD. Predictors of outpatient treatment retention: patient versus substance use characteristics. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2001;62:9–17. [PubMed]
20. Ziedonis DM, Stern R. Dual recovery therapy for schizophrenia and substance abuse. Psychiatr Ann. 2001;31:255–264.
21. Drake RE, Yovetich NA, Rebout RR, Harris M, McHugo GJ. Integrated treatment for dually diagnosed homeless adults. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1997;185:298–304. [PubMed]
22. Amaro H, Larson MJ, Gampel J, Richardson E, Savage A, Wagler D. Racial/ethnic differences in social vulnerability among women with co-occurring mental health and substance abuse disorders: implications for treatment services. J Community Psychol. 2005;33:495–511.
23. Hser YI, Anglin MD, Chou C. Evaluation of drug abuse treatment. Repeated measures design assessing methadone maintenance. Eval Rev. 1998;12:547–570.
24. Hohman MM, Galt DH. Latinas in treatment: comparisons of residents in a culturally specific recovery home with residents in non-specific recovery homes. J Ethn Cult Divers Soc Work. 2001;9(3/4):93–109.
25. Mora J. Latinas in cultural transition: addiction, treatment and recovery. In: SLA Straussner, S Brown, eds, The Handbook of Addiction Treatment for Women: Theory and Practice. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass; 2002:323–347.
26. Ashley OS, Marsden ME, Brady TM. Effectiveness of substance abuse treatment programming for women: a review. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2003;29:19–53. [PubMed]
27. Herman JL. Trauma and Recovery. New York: Basic Books; 1992.
28. van der Kolk BA, Pelcovitz D, Roth S, Mandel FS, McFarlane A, Herman JL. Dissociation, somatization, and affect dysregulation: the complexity of adaptation to trauma. Am J Psychiatry. 1996;153(Suppl 7):83–93. [PubMed] 29. van der Kolk BA, Hostetler A, Herron N, Fisler RE. Trauma and the development of borderline personality disorder. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1994;17:715–730. [PubMed]
30. Briere JN. Child Abuse Trauma: Theory and Treatment of the Lasting Effects. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications; 1992.
31. Malinowsky-Rummell R, Hansen DJ. Long-term consequences of childhood physical abuse. Psychol Bull. 1993;114:68–79. [PubMed] 32. Levitan RD, Parkh SV, Lesage AD, et al. Major depression in individuals with a history of childhood physical or sexual abuse: relationship to vegetative features, mania, and gender. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:1746–1752. [PubMed] 33. Shalev AY. Discussion: treatment of prolonged posttraumatic stress disorder—learning from experience. J Trauma Stress. 1997;10:415–423. [PubMed] 34. Resick PA, Schnicke MK. Cognitive processing therapy for sexual assault victims. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1992;60:748–756. [PubMed] 35. Fallot R, Harris M. Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model (TREM): conceptual and practical issues in a group intervention for women. Community Ment Health J. 2002;38:475–485. [PubMed] 36. McHugo GJ, Kammerer N, Jackson EW, et al. Women, Co-occurring Disorders, and Violence Study: evaluation design and study population. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005;28:91–107. [PubMed]
37. Amaro H, McGraw S, Larson MJ, Lopez L, Nieves R, Marshall B. Boston Consortium of Services for Families in Recovery: a trauma-informed intervention model for women’s alcohol and drug addiction treatment. Alcohol Treat Q. 2004;22:95–119.
38. McLellan AT, Kushner H, Metzger D, et al. The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992;9:199–213. [PubMed]
39. Derogatis LR. BSI: Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI): Administration, Scoring and Procedures Manual (4th edn.). Minneapolis: National Computer Systems, Inc; 1993.
40. Foa EB, Cashman L, Jaycox L, Perry K. The validation of a self-report measure of posttraumatic stress disorder: the Posttraumatic Diagnostic Scale. Psychol Assess. 1997;9:445–451.
41. Foa EB, Riggs DS, Dancu CV, Rothbaum BO. Reliability and validity of a brief instrument for assessing post-traumatic stress disorder. J Trauma Stress. 1993; 6:459–473.
42. Harris M. Trauma Recovery and Empowerment: a Clinician’s Guide for Working with Women in Groups. New York: The Free Press; 1998.
43. Cohen J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd edn.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates; 1988.
44. Morrissey JP, Ellis AR, Gatz M, et al. Outcomes for women with co-occurring disorders and trauma: program and person-level effects. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005a; 28:121–133. [PubMed] 45. Morrissey JP, Jackson EW, Ellis AR, Amaro H, Brown VB, Najavits LM. 12-month outcomes of trauma-informed interventions for women with co-occurring disorders. Psychiatr Serv. 2005b;56:1213–1222. [PubMed] 46. Cocozza J, Jackson E, Hennigan K, et al. Outcomes for women with co-occurring disorders and trauma: program-level effects. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005;28:109–119. [PubMed]
47. Dumain M. Meta-analysis of interventions with co-occurring disorders of severe mental illness and substance abuse: implications for social work practice. Res Soc Work Pract. 2003;13:142–165.
48. Messman-Moore TL, Long PJ. Alcohol and substance use disorders as predictors of child to adult sexual revictimization in a sample of community women. Violence Vict. 2002;17:319–340. [PubMed] 49. Ouimette PC, Moos RH, Finney JW. Two-year mental health service use and course of remission in patients with substance use and posttraumatic stress disorders. Addict Behav. 2000;23:785–795. [PubMed]