APL is a subtype of AML in which abnormal promyelocytes predominate. APL accounts for approximately 5–8% of AML [5
]. It differs from other subtypes of AML in that the patients are often younger. Our case was a 5 year old female with DS. Most patients of APL present with a pancytopenia rather than an elevated white cell count, however high WBC count has been seen in AML M3v. Our index patient had hyperleucocytosis at the time of presentation. AML M3v accounts for approximately 1/3 of APL cases. It most often presents in pediatric patients. The cytomorphology of AML M3v blasts is obviously different from AML M3 blasts, these cells have a non- or hypogranular cytoplasm or contain fine dust-like cytoplasmic azurophil granules that may not be apparent by light microscopy. Furthermore, M3v blasts show a typical bilobed, multilobed or reniform nuclear configuration. This latter morphologic phenotype, together with missing granulation, has often resulted in the misleading diagnosis of acute monocytic or myelo-monocytic leukemia. These cells show very strong MPO reaction, as was also seen in the case under discussion. Both AML M3 and M3v reveal translocation (15;17) (q22;q12) on cytogenetic analysis. Unfortunately cytogenetic analysis could not be done in the present patient. Immunophenotypically, they express myeloid phenotype [6
]. Although 90% of children with AML have no known risk factors, a number of predisposing constitutional disorders have been found in the remaining 10% of children. Multiple studies have established the incidence of leukemia in DS patients, to be 10- to 20-fold higher than that in the general population. The proportion of ALL and AML in patients with DS is similar to non-DS leukemia patients matched for age. AML in DS is usually of the FAB M7 sub-type [3
]. Only a few cases of APL associated with trisomy 21 have been published in the English literature. Singal et al [7
] in 1987 reported a case of a 64-year-old male diagnosed to have APL with trisomy 21. Spell et al [4
] in 2002 described M3-V in trisomy 21 patient in a 26-year-old Hispanic man. Recently, Kurkijan et al [8
] published a case of DS with AML M3 encountered in an adult. Ours is the fourth reported case of APL in DS, and possibly the second case of AML-M3 v associated with DS. To the best of the authors' knowledge no case of APL in DS in pediatric age group has been described so far. It is important to report the variant form of APL, for therapy and prognosis of the patient. Results from gene profiling suggest that the two morphological subtypes of APL (M3 and M3v) are clearly separable. The present case adds a new case of pediatric AML M3v associated with trisomy 21 to the medical literature.