1. Adams JE, Zobitz ME, Reach JS, Jr, An KN, Steinmann SP. Rotator cuff repair using an acellular dermal matrix graft: an in vivo study in a canine model. Arthroscopy. 2006 Jul;22(7):700–709. [PubMed] 2. Anderst WJ, Les C, Tashman S. In vivo serial joint space measurements during dynamic loading in a canine model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2005 Sep;13(9):808–816. [PubMed] 3. Aoki M, Miyamoto S, Okamura K, Yamashita T, Ikada Y, Matsuda S. Tensile properties and biological response of poly (L-lactic acid) felt graft: an experimental trial for rotator-cuff reconstruction. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2004 Nov 15;71(2):252–259. [PubMed] 4. Aoki M, Oguma H, Fukushima S, Ishii S, Ohtani S, Murakami G. Fibrous connection to bone after immediate repair of the canine infraspinatus: the most effective bony surface for tendon attachment. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001 Mar;10(2):123–128. [PubMed]
5. Bardet JF. Shoulder diseases in dogs. Vet Med. 2002;10:909–918.
6. Bardet JF. Diagnosis of shoulder instability in dogs and cats: a retrospective study. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. 1998 Jan;34(1):42–54. [PubMed]
7. Bartolozzi A, Andreychik D, Ahmad S. Determinants of outcome in the treatment of rotator cuff disease. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1994 Nov;308:90–97.
8. Barton ER, Gimbel JA, Williams GR, Soslowsky LJ. Rat supraspinatus muscle atrophy after tendon detachment. J Orthop Res. 2005 Mar;23(2):259–265. [PubMed]
9. Bey MJ, Song HK, Wehrli FW, Soslowsky LJ. A noncontact, nondestructive method for quantifying intratissue deformations and strains. J Biomech Engin. 2002 Apr;124(2):253–258.
10. Carpenter JE, Thomopoulos S, Soslowsky LJ. Animal models of tendon and ligament injuries for tissue engineering applications. [Review] [117 refs] Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1999 Oct;367(Suppl):S296–S311.
11. Cofield RH, Parvizi J, Hoffmeyer PJ, Lanzer WL, Ilstrup DM, Rowland CM. Surgical repair of chronic rotator cuff tears. A prospective long-term study. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 2001 Jan;83-A(1):71–77.
12. Coleman SH, Fealy S, Ehteshami JR, MacGillivray JD, Altchek DW, Warren RF, et al. Chronic rotator cuff injury and repair model in sheep. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 2003 Dec;85-A(12):2391–2402.
13. Dejardin LM, Arnoczky SP, Ewers BJ, Haut RC, Clarke RB. Tissue-engineered rotator cuff tendon using porcine small intestine submucosa. Histologic and mechanical evaluation in dogs. Am J Sports Med. 2001 Mar;29(2):175–184. [PubMed] 14. Derwin K, Androjna C, Spencer E, Safran O, Bauer TW, Hunt T, et al. Porcine small intestine submucosa as a flexor tendon graft. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Jun;(423):245–252. [PubMed] 15. Fabis J, Danilewicz M, Omulecka A. Rabbit supraspinatus tendon detachment: effects of size and time after tenotomy on morphometric changes in the muscle. Acta Orthop Scand. 2001 Jun;72(3):282–286. [PubMed] 16. Fealy S, Rodeo SA, MacGillivray JD, Nixon AJ, Adler RS, Warren RF. Biomechanical evaluation of the relation between number of suture anchors and strength of the bone-tendon interface in a goat rotator cuff model. Arthroscopy. 2006 Jun;22(6):595–602. [PubMed] 17. Funakoshi T, Majima T, Iwasaki N, Yamane S, Masuko T, Minami A, et al. Novel chitosan-based hyaluronan hybrid polymer fibers as a scaffold in ligament tissue engineering. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2005 Sep 1;74(3):338–346. [PubMed] 18. Funakoshi T, Majima T, Suenaga N, Iwasaki N, Yamane S, Minami A. Rotator cuff regeneration using chitin fabric as an acellular matrix. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2006 Jan;15(1):112–118. [PubMed]
19. Galatz LM, Ball CM, Teefey SA, Middleton WD, Yamaguchi K. The outcome and repair integrity of completely arthroscopically repaired large and massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 2004 Feb;86-A(2):219–224.
20. Gazielly DF, Gleyze P, Montagnon C. Functional and anatomical results after rotator cuff repair. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1994 Jul;304:43–53.
21. Gerber C, Meyer DC, Schneeberger AG, Hoppeler H, Von Rechenberg B. Effect of tendon release and delayed repair on the structure of the muscles of the rotator cuff: an experimental study in sheep. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 2004 Sep;86-A(9):1973–1982.
22. Gerber C, Schneeberger AG, Beck M, Schlegel U. Mechanical strength of repairs of the rotator cuff. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 1994 May;76-B(3):371–380. [PubMed]
23. Gerber C, Schneeberger AG, Perren SM, Nyffeler RW. Experimental rotator cuff repair. A preliminary study. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 1999 Sep;81(9):1281–1290.
24. Gimbel JA, Mehta S, Van Kleunen JP, Williams GR, Soslowsky LJ. The tension required at repair to reappose the supraspinatus tendon to bone rapidly increases after injury. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2004 Sep;426:258–265.
25. Gimbel JA, Van Kleunen JP, Mehta S, Perry SM, Williams GR, Soslowsky LJ. Supraspinatus tendon organizational and mechanical properties in a chronic rotator cuff tear animal model. J Biomech. 2004 May;37(5):739–749. [PubMed] 26. Goutallier D, Postel JM, Gleyze P, Leguilloux P, Van Driessche S. Influence of cuff muscle fatty degeneration on anatomic and functional outcomes after simple suture of full-thickness tears. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2003 Nov;12(6):550–554. [PubMed] 27. Hamada K, Tomonaga A, Gotoh M, Yamakawa H, Fukuda H. Intrinsic healing capacity and tearing process of torn supraspinatus tendons: in situ hybridization study of alpha 1 (I) procollagen mRNA. J Orthop Res. 1997 Jan;15(1):24–32. [PubMed]
28. Harryman DT, Mack LA, Wang KY, Jackins SE, Richardson ML, Matsen FA., III Repairs of the rotator cuff. Correlation of functional results with integrity of the cuff. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 1991 Aug;73-A(7):982–989.
29. Hersche O, Gerber C. Passive tension in the supraspinatus musculotendinous unit after long-standing rupture of its tendon: a preliminary report. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 1998 Jul;7(4):393–396. [PubMed] 30. Iannotti JP. Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears: Factors Affecting Surgical Outcome. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1994 Feb;:87–95. [PubMed] 31. Inoue N, Ikeda K, Aro HT, Frassica FJ, Sim FH, Chao EY. Biologic tendon fixation to metallic implant augmented with autogenous cancellous bone graft and bone marrow in a canine model. J Orthop Res. 2002 Sep;20(5):957–966. [PubMed]
32. Kimura A, Aoki M, Fukushima S, Ishii S, Yamakoshi K. Reconstruction of a defect of the rotator cuff with polytetrafluoroethylene felt graft. Recovery of tensile strength and histocompatibility in an animal model. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2003 Mar;85(2):282–287.
33. Kobayashi M, Itoi E, Minagawa H, Miyakoshi N, Takahashi S, Tuoheti Y, et al. Expression of growth factors in the early phase of supraspinatus tendon healing in rabbits. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2006 May;15(3):371–377. [PubMed] 34. Koike Y, Trudel G, Curran D, Uhthoff HK. Delay of supraspinatus repair by up to 12 weeks does not impair enthesis formation: a quantitative histologic study in rabbits. J Orthop Res. 2006 Feb;24(2):202–210. [PubMed] 35. Koike Y, Trudel G, Uhthoff HK. Formation of a new enthesis after attachment of the supraspinatus tendon: A quantitative histologic study in rabbits. J Orthop Res. 2005 Nov;23(6):1433–1440. [PubMed] 36. Mantone JK, Burkhead WZ, Jr, Noonan J., Jr Nonoperative treatment of rotator cuff tears. [Review] [56 refs] Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2000 Apr;31(2):295–311. [PubMed] 37. Matsumoto F, Uhthoff HK, Trudel G, Loehr JF. Delayed tendon reattachment does not reverse atrophy and fat accumulation of the supraspinatus--an experimental study in rabbits. J Orthop Res. 2002 Mar;20(2):357–363. [PubMed] 38. Meyer DC, Hoppeler H, von RB, Gerber C. A pathomechanical concept explains muscle loss and fatty muscular changes following surgical tendon release. J Orthop Res. 2004 Sep;22(5):1004–1007. [PubMed] 39. Meyer DC, Lajtai G, von RB, Pfirrmann CW, Gerber C. Tendon retracts more than muscle in experimental chronic tears of the rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006 Nov;88(11):1533–1538. [PubMed] 40. Meyer DC, Pirkl C, Pfirrmann CW, Zanetti M, Gerber C. Asymmetric atrophy of the supraspinatus muscle following tendon tear. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2005 Mar;23(2):254–258. [PubMed] 41. Oguma H, Murakami G, Takahashi-Iwanaga H, Aoki M, Ishii S. Early anchoring collagen fibers at the bone-tendon interface are conducted by woven bone formation: light microscope and scanning electron microscope observation using a canine model. J Orthop Res. 2001 Sep;19(5):873–880. [PubMed] 42. Riley GP, Harrall RL, Constant CR, Chard MD, Cawston TE, Hazleman BL. Tendon degeneration and chronic shoulder pain: changes in the collagen composition of the human rotator cuff tendons in rotator cuff tendinitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1994 Jun;53(6):359–366. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
43. Romeo AA, Hang DW, Bach BR, Jr, Shott S. Repair of full thickness rotator cuff tears. Gender, age, and other factors affecting outcome. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1999 Oct;367:243–255.
44. Safran O, Derwin KA, Powell K, Iannotti JP. Changes in rotator cuff muscle volume, fat content, and passive mechanics after chronic detachment in a canine model. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Dec;87(12):2662–2670. [PubMed] 45. Sano H, Kumagai J, Sawai T. Experimental fascial autografting for the supraspinatus tendon defect: remodeling process of the grafted fascia and the insertion into bone. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2002 Mar;11(2):166–173. [PubMed] 46. Schlegel TF, Hawkins RJ, Lewis CW, Motta T, Turner AS. The effects of augmentation with Swine small intestine submucosa on tendon healing under tension: histologic and mechanical evaluations in sheep. Am J Sports Med. 2006 Feb;34(2):275–280. [PubMed]
47. Seiler JG. Autogenous flexor-tendon grafts. A biomechanical and morphological study in dogs. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993 Jul;75(7):1004–1014.
48. Setton LA, Mow VC, Muller FJ, Pita JC, Howell DS. Mechanical behavior and biochemical composition of canine knee cartilage following periods of joint disuse and disuse with remobilization. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1997 Jan;5(1):1–16. [PubMed] 49. Sidaway BK, McLaughlin RM, Elder SH, Boyle CR, Silverman EB. Role of the tendons of the biceps brachii and infraspinatus muscles and the medial glenohumeral ligament in the maintenance of passive shoulder joint stability in dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2004 Sep;65(9):1216–1222. [PubMed] 50. Soslowsky LJ, Carpenter JE, DeBano CM, Banerji I, Moalli MR. Development and use of an animal model for investigations on rotator cuff disease. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 1996 Sep;5(5):383–392. [PubMed] 51. Soslowsky LJ, Thomopoulos S, Esmail A, Flanagan CL, Iannotti JP, Williamson JD, III, et al. Rotator cuff tendinosis in an animal model: role of extrinsic and overuse factors. Ann Biomed Eng. 2002 Sep;30(8):1057–1063. [PubMed] 52. Soslowsky LJ, Thomopoulos S, Tun S, Flanagan CL, Keefer CC, Mastaw J, et al. Neer Award 1999. Overuse activity injures the supraspinatus tendon in an animal model: a histologic and biomechanical study. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2000 Mar;9(2):79–84. [PubMed]
53. St Pierre P, Olson EJ, Elliott JJ, O'Hair KC, McKinney LA, Ryan J. Tendon-healing to cortical bone compared with healing to a cancellous trough. A biomechanical and histological evaluation in goats. J Bone Jt Surg [Am] 1995 Dec;77(12):1858–1866.
54. Thomopoulos S, Hattersley G, Rosen V, Mertens M, Galatz L, Williams GR, et al. The localized expression of extracellular matrix components in healing tendon insertion sites: an in situ hybridization study. J Orthop Res. 2002 May;20(3):454–463. [PubMed]
55. Thomopoulos S, Williams GR, Soslowsky LJ. Tendon to bone healing: differences in biomechanical, structural, and compositional properties due to a range of activity levels. J Biomech Engin. 2003 Feb;125(1):106–113.
56. Tuzuner S, Balci N, Ozkaynak S. Results of zone II flexor tendon repair in children younger than age 6 years: botulinum toxin type A administration eased cooperation during the rehabilitation and improved outcome. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004 Nov;24(6):629–633. [PubMed] 57. Uhthoff HK, Matsumoto F, Trudel G, Himori K. Early reattachment does not reverse atrophy and fat accumulation of the supraspinatus--an experimental study in rabbits. J Orthop Res. 2003 May;21(3):386–392. [PubMed] 58. Uhthoff HK, Trudel G, Himori K. Relevance of pathology and basic research to the surgeon treating rotator cuff disease. [Review] [39 refs] Journal of Orthopaedic Science. 2003;8(3):449–456. [PubMed] 59. Vasseur PB, Moore D, Brown SA. Stability of the canine shoulder joint: an in vitro analysis. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1982;43:352–355. [PubMed]