PMCCPMCCPMCC

Search tips
Search criteria 

Advanced

 
Logo of procrsmedFormerly medchtJournal of the Royal Society of MedicineProceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine
 
Proc R Soc Med. 1939 October; 32(12): 1591–1597.
PMCID: PMC1998075

Pelvic Osteo-arthropathy of Pregnancy

(Section of Obstetrics and Gynæcology)

Abstract

Excessive relaxation of the pelvic joints during pregnancy has as its chief symptoms chronic backache and locomotor disturbances. Goldthwait and others have for long drawn attention to the frequent part played by softening of the sacro-iliac joint structures in the production of the common backache of pregnancy. The frequency of this symptom may be gauged by the fact that 114 women out of a successive series of 3,030 cases at the antenatal clinic, or 3.7%, suffered in such a degree as to lead them to call for treatment. In 69, or 60.5%, the pain commenced before the 28th week, whilst in the remaining 45 or 39.5%, it commenced later.

Full text

Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (1.1M), or click on a page image below to browse page by page.

Images in this article

Click on the image to see a larger version.

Articles from Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine are provided here courtesy of Royal Society of Medicine Press