|Home | About | Journals | Submit | Contact Us | Français|
Lawrence Jubb was an inner city general practitioner in Govan and the southside of Glasgow from 1948 until retirement in 1981; much of his work was conducted from the family home in Shawlands with the support of his wife and children. He also held anaesthetic appointments in several south Glasgow hospitals. Following graduation he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps from 1939,with active service in Palestine, Ethiopia, North Africa, and latterly in Europe following the D-Day landings. It was during his time in the army field hospitals that he developed his lifelong interest in anaesthetics. Although he took his turn with the responsibilities of the local medical services and committees he preferred patients to politics; patients admitted to hospital always merited a visit in hospital from their general practitioner.
He was fortunate to have a long and enjoyable retirement; at 88 years old he successfully drove himself on a tour of the Scottish highlands and islands. During his early retirement he worked for the palaeontology section of the Hunterian Museum, having achieved a diploma in geology from the University of Glasgow. He had no interest in any sport but loved classical music. His artistic interests included painting, lapidary, and making stained glass windows. Latterly he created glass pictures and was in the process of preparing a one man exhibition this year when he had his stroke. Predeceased by his wife, Jessie, in 1996, he leaves three sons, seven grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.