|Home | About | Journals | Submit | Contact Us | Français|
Jack Lask was born on 16 November 1916 and qualified as MB ChB at Leeds University Medical School in March 1940, the third of four brothers to do so. After working at the King Edward VIII Hospital in Ealing, London, he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1940. His wartime service first sent him to India, then Persia, Iraq, Egypt, Sicily, Italy, and finally Greece.
After the second world war Jack joined a singlehanded practice in Ascot, taking over the practice when his partner retired. In 1952 he moved into the heart of one of the first housing estates to be constructed in Bracknell, which was designated a new town and developed to ease London's post-war housing shortage. There he built a house and another surgery, and the size of his practice increased with the growth of the town until it became a partnership of six doctors working across Ascot and Bracknell.
For many years Jack officiated as the doctor at Ascot Races, with patients ranging from punters and jockeys to the occasional member of royalty. He had a large midwifery practice over a long period of time and was often hailed in the street by people who told him that he first brought them into the world. He also served two terms on the local medical committee at Reading.
Jack retired in 1985. He thoroughly enjoyed working in general practice and always said that he would recommend it to anyone starting off in medicine.
He leaves a wife, Clarice; two daughters; and five grandchildren.