1. Heyes AG. Making things stick: enforcement and compliance. Econ Policy. 1998;14:50–63.
2. Scholz JT, Gray WB. OSHA enforcement and workplace injuries: a behavioral approach to risk assessment. J Risk Uncertain. 1990;3:283–305.
3. Harrington W. Enforcement leverage when penalties are restricted. J Public Econ. 1988;37:29–53.
4. Laffont J-J, Tirole J. Pollution permits and compliance strategies. J Public Econ. 1996;62:85–125.
5. Gilliland DI, Manning KC. When do firms conform to regulatory control? The effect of control processes on compliance and opportunism. J Public Policy Market. 2002;21:319–31.
6. Laeeque H, Boon H, Kachan N, Cohen JC, D'Cruz J. The natural health products (NHP) regulations: industry compliance factors. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:63. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
7. Winter SC, May PJ. Motivation for compliance with environmental regulations. J Public Policy Anal Manage. 2001;20:675–98.
9. Thornton D, Gunningham N, Kagan RA. General deterrence and corporate environmental behavior. Law Policy. 2005;27:262–88.
10. May PJ. Compliance motivations: perspectives of farmers, homebuilders, and marine facilities. Law Policy. 2005;27:317–47.
11. Chambers E. Applied ethnography. In: Denzin NK, Lincoln YS, editors. Handbook of Qualitative Research. 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.; 2000. pp. 851–69.
12. Creswell JW. Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design. Choosing Among Five Traditions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.; 1998.
13. Morse JM, Field PA. Qualitative Research Methods for Health Professionals. 2nd edition. London: Sage Publications, Inc.; 1995.
14. Berg LB. Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences. Boston: Allyn and Bacon; 2003.
15. Qualitative Solutions and Research Pty Ltd. Melbourne: QSR Nvivo 2.1 Software.; 2001.
16. Gunningham N, Thornton D, Kagan RA. Motivating management: corporate compliance in environmental protection. Law Policy. 2005;27:289–316.
17. Boon H, MacPherson H, Fleishman S, Grimsgaard S, Koithan M, Norheim A, et al. Evaluating complex healthcare systems: a critique of four approaches. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2006 (in press)