|Home | About | Journals | Submit | Contact Us | Français|
Frank McGown served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve for most of the second world war, rising to the rank of surgeon lieutenant commander, and seeing action in Atlantic convoys and the Normandy landings. After junior posts at The London and Paddington Hospitals, he was in 1954 appointed consultant physician at Oldchurch Hospital, where he developed a special interest in gastroenterology. Inspired by his contacts with Sir George Pickering and stimulated by Himsworth's post-war report on postgraduate education, Frank, with characteristic graciousness and tenacity, set himself the task of raising the funds and supervising the plans for one of the earliest postgraduate centres in a district hospital. Opened in 1967, it was a centre of excellence under his dedicated guidance as clinical tutor. On his retirement he was uniquely honoured by an afternoon of scientific papers delivered by five of his former registrars. Ever modest and wise, with a gentle manner and a quizzical smile, and blessed by a happy home life, Frank enjoyed his years of retirement, living out his Christian faith in his support of his village church and the Friends of Essex Churches. He leaves a wife (also a doctor); a son and two daughters, one of them a consultant physician; and seven grandchildren. A son predeceased him.