1. Office for National Statistics. The mental health of children and adolescents in Great Britain. Summary report London: Office for National Statistics, 1999.
2. Offord DR, Boyle MH, Racine Y. Ontario child health study: correlates of disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1989;28:850-60.
3. Attride-Stirling J, Davis H, Day C, Sclare I. Someone to talk to who'll listen: addressing the psychosocial needs of children and families. J Community Appl Soc Psychol 2000;11:179-91.
4. Broidy LM, Nagin DS, Tremblay RE, Bates JE, Brame B, Dodge KA, et al. Developmental trajectories of childhood disruptive behaviours and adolescent delinquency a six site, cross-national study. Dev Psychol 2003;39:222-45. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
5. Coid J. Formulating strategies for the primary prevention of adult antisocial behaviour: “high risk” or “population” strategies? In: Farrington DP, Coid J, eds. Early prevention of adult antisocial behaviour Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
6. Webster-Stratton C. Preventing conduct problems in Head Start children: strengthening parenting competencies. J Consult Clin Psychol 1998;66:715-30. [PubMed] 7. Scott S, Knapp M, Henderson J, Maughan B. Financial cost of social exclusion: follow up study of antisocial children into adulthood. BMJ 2001;323:191. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
8. Fergusson D, Horwood L, Ridder E. Show me the child at seven: the consequences of conduct problems in childhood for psychosocial functioning in adulthood. J Child Psychol Psychiatr 2005;46:837-49.
9. Hutchings J, Gardner F, Lane E. Making evidence-based interventions work 2004 In: Sutton C, Utting D, Farrington D, eds. Support from the start: working with young children and their families to reduce the risks of crime and anti-social behaviour Norwich: Department for Education and Skills, 2004:69-79 (research report 524).
10. Kazdin AE. Treatment of conduct disorder: progress and directions in psychotherapy research. Dev Psychopathol 1993;5:277-310.
11. Meadows P. Cost effectiveness of implementing SSLPs: an interim report, research report London: Department for Education and Skills, 2006. (NESS/2006/FR/015).
12. Belsky J, Melhuish E, Barnes J, Leyland AH, Romaniuk H. Effects of Sure Start local programmes on children and families: early findings from a quasi-experimental, cross sectional study. BMJ 2006;332:1476-8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 13. Scott S, Spender Q, Doolan M, Jacobs B, Aspland H. Multicentre controlled trial of parenting groups for childhood antisocial behaviour in clinical practice. BMJ 2001;323:194-203. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 14. Barlow J, Stewart-Brown S. Review article: behavior problems and parent-training programmes. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2000;21:356-70. [PubMed]
15. Webster-Stratton C, Hancock L. Parent training for young children with conduct problems. Content, methods and therapeutic process. In: Schaefer CE, ed. Handbook of parent training New York: Wiley, 1998.
16. Mihalic S, Fagan M, Irwin K, Ballard D, Elliot D. Blueprints for violence prevention replications: factors for implementation success University of Colorado, Boulder: Centre for the Study and Prevention of Violence, 2002.
17. Taylor TK, Biglan A. Behavioural family interventions for improving child-rearing: a review for clinicians and policy makers. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 1998;1:41-60. [PubMed]
18. Gardner F, Burton J, Klimes I. Randomised controlled trial of a parenting intervention in the voluntary sector for reducing child conduct problems: outcomes and mechanisms of change. J Child Psychol Psychiatr 2006;47:1123-32.
19. Hutchings J, Webster-Stratton C. Parenting in the community. In: Hoghughi M, Long N, eds. Handbook of parenting London: Sage, 2004.
20. Eyberg S, Ross AW. Assessment of child behaviour problems: the validation of a new inventory. J Clin Child Psychol 1978;7:113-16.
21. Goodman R, Renfrew D, Mullick M. Predicting type of psychiatric disorder from strengths and difficulties questionnaire (SDQ) scores in child mental health clinics in London and Dhaka. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2000;9:129-34. [PubMed]
22. Conners CK. The Conners rating scales: use in clinical assessment, treatment planning and research. In: Maruish M, ed. Use of psychological testing for treatment planning and outcome assessment Hillsdale, New Jersey: Erlbaum, 1994.
23. Kendall P, Wilcox L. Self-control in children: development of a rating scale. J Consult Clin Psychol 1979;47:1020-9. [PubMed]
24. Abidin RR. Parenting stress index Odessa: PAR, 1990.
25. Arnold DS, O'Leary SG, Wolff LS, Acker MM. The parenting scale: a measure of dysfunctional parenting in discipline situations. Psychol Assess 1993;5:137-44.
26. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1961;4:561-71. [PubMed]
27. Hutchings J. The personal and parental characteristics of preschool children referred to a child and family mental health service and their relation to treatment outcome [PhD thesis]. Bangor: University of Wales, 1996.
28. Eyberg SM, Robinson EA. Dyadic parent-child interaction coding system Seattle, WA: Parenting Clinic, University of Washington, 1981.
29. Pocock S. Clinical trials: a practical approach Chichester: John Wiley, 1983.
30. Cohen J. Statistical power for the behavioural sciences Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1988.
31. Office of National Statistics. Social trends London: Office for National Statistics, 2005.
33. Aspland H, Gardner F. Observational measures of parent-child interaction: an introductory review. Child Adolesc Mental Health 2003;8:136-43.
34. Morch WT, Clifford G, Larsson B, Rypdal P, Tjeflaat, Lurie J, et al. The incredible years: the Norwegian Webster-Stratton programme; 1998-2004 www.incredibleyears.com. 35. National Institute of Clinical Excellence. Parent-training/education programmes in the management of children with conduct disorders. www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=346134 27.09.06.www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=34613427.09.06.
38. Tudor Edwards R, Céilleachair AÓ, Bywater T, Hughes DA, Hutchings J. Parenting programme for children at risk of developing conduct disorder: cost effectiveness analysis. BMJ 2007. doi: 10.1136/bmj.39126.699421.55.