1. Swearingen SG, Klausner JD. Sildenafil use, sexual risk behavior and risk for sexually
transmitted diseases, including HIV infection. The Am J Med. 2005;118:571–577.
2. Valdiserri RO. Mapping the roots of HIV/AIDS complacency: Implications for
program and policy development. AIDS Education and Prevention. 2004;16:426–439. [PubMed]
3. Hijazi L, Nandwani R, Kell P. Medical management of sexual difficulties in HIV-positive
individuals. Editorial review Intl J STD & AIDS. 2002;13:587–592.
4. Purcell DW, Wolitski RJ, Hoff CC, Parsons JT, Woods WJ, Halkitis PN. Predictors of the use of viagra, testosterone and antidepressants
among HIV-seropositive gay and bisexual men. AIDS. 2005;19(suppl 1):S57–S66. [PubMed] 5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. AIDS among persons aged =50 years: United States,
1991–1996. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 1998;47:21–27. Available at: ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/wk/mm47
02.pdf. [PubMed] 6. Daniels D, Curtis AB, Klevens RM, Lee LM. Status report on HIV diagnosis rates in older adults in the
United States - rates decline or remain stable. Medscape. Gen Med. 2004;6(3) July 11, 2004: WePeD6513 [eJIAS. 2004 July 11;
1(1)]. Available at: http://www.iasociety.org/ejias/show.asp?abstract_id=2174866.
7. Benotsch EG, Kalichman S, Cage M. Men who have met sex partners via the Internet: Prevalence,
predictors and implications for HIV prevention. Arch Sex Behavior. 2002;31:177–83.
8. Coates TJ, Szekeres G. A plan for the next generation of HIV prevention research: Seven
key policy investigative challenges. American Psychologist. 2004;59:747–757. [PubMed] 9. Dunkle KL, Jewkes RK, Brown HC, Gray GE, McIntryre JA, Harlow ID. Transactional sex among women in Soweto, South Africa:
Prevalence, risk factors and association with HIV infection. Soc Sci Med. 2004;59:1581–1592. [PubMed] 10. Halkitis PN, Parsons JT. Intentional unsafe sex (barebacking) among HIV-positive gay men
who seek sexual partners on the Internet. AIDS Care. 2003;15:367–378. [PubMed]
11. Halkitis PM, Parsons JT, Wilton L. Barebacking among gay and bisexual men in New York City:
Explanations for the emergence of intentional unsafe behavior. Arch Sex Behavior. 2003;32:351–357.
12. Kurtz SP. Post-circuit blues: Motivations and consequences of crystal meth
use among gay men in Miami. AIDS and Behavior. 2005;9:63–72. [PubMed]
13. Wolitski RJ, Parsons JT, Gomez CA. Prevention with HIV-seropositive men who have sex with men
Lessons from the Seropositive Urban Men’s Study (SUMS) and the
Seropositive Urban Men’s Intervention Trial (SUMIT) J Acqui Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37(Suppl 2):S101–S109.
15. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbreak of syphilis among men who have sex with men---Southern
California, 2000. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2001;50:117–120. [PubMed] 16. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Primary and secondary syphilis among men who have sex with
men---New York City, 2001. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2002;51:853–856. [PubMed] 17. Crosby R, DiClemente RJ. Use of recreational Viagra among men having sex with men. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2004;80:466–468. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
18. Chu PL, McFarland W, Gibson S, Weide D, Henne J, Miller P, Partridge T, Schwarcz S. Viagra use in a community-recruited sample of men who have sex
with men, San Francisco. J Acqui Immune Defic Syndr. 2003;33:191–193.
19. Colfax G, Vittinghoff E, Husnik MJ, McKirnan D, Buchbinder S, Koblin B, Celum C, Chesney M, Huang Y, Mayer K, Bozeman S, Judson FN, Bryant KJ, Coates TJ. the Explore Study Team. Substance use and sexual risk: A participant- and episode-level
analysis among a cohort of men who have sex with men. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;159:1002–1012. [PubMed]
20. Stall R, Purcell DW. Intertwining epidemics: A Review of research on substance use
among men who have sex with men and its connection to the AIDS epidemic. AIDS and Behavior. 2000;4:181–192.
22. Romanelli F, Smith KM. Recreational use of sildenafil by HIV-positive and -negative
homosexual/bisexual males. Ann Pharmacother. 2004;38:1024–30. [PubMed]
23. Fisher DG, Reynolds GL, Wood MM, Johnson ME. Reliability of arrest and incarceration questions on the Risk
Behavior Assessment. Crime and Delinquency. 2004;50:24–31.
24. Fisher DG, Reynolds-Fisher GL, Branson CM, Itatani CA. Multiple blood-borne infections in injection drug users. Paper presented at the XV International Conference on AIDS; Bangkok, Thailand. 2004.
25. Cagle HH, Fisher DG, Senter TP, Thurmond RD, Kastar AJ. Classifying skin lesions of injection drug users: A method for
corroborating disease risk. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration,
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information; 2002. (Inventory Number AVD154)
26. Dowling-Guyer S, Johnson ME, Fisher DG, Needle R, Watters J, Anderson M, Williams M, Kotranski L, Booth R, Rhodes F, Weatherby N, Estrada AL, Fleming D, Deren S, Tortu S. Reliability of drug users’ self-reported HIV risk
behaviors and validity of self-reported recent drug use. Assessment. 1994;1:383–392.
27. Fisher DG, Needle R, Weatherby N, Brown B, Booth R, Williams M, et al. Reliability of drug user self-report
[Abstract]. IXth International Conference on AIDS; Berlin, Germany. 1993. (PO - C35 - 3355)
28. Johnson ME, Fisher DG, Reynolds GL. Reliability of drug users’ self-report of economic
variables. Addiction Research. 1999;7:227–238.
29. Needle R, Weatherby N, Chitwood D, Booth R, Watters J, Fisher DG, Brown B, Cesari H, Williams ML, Andersen M, Braunstein M. Reliability of self-reported HIV risk behaviors of drug users. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 1995;9:242–250.
30. Jaffe A, Fisher DG, Reynolds-Fisher GL, Branson CM. Designer drug use and HIV risk behavior in Los Angeles County,
California. Paper presented at the XV Intl. Conf. AIDS; Bangkok, Thailand. 2004.
31. Bogart LM, Kral AH, Scott A, Anderson R, Flynn N, Gilbert ML, Bluthenthal RN. Sexual risk among injection drug users recruited from syringe
exchange programs in California. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2005;32:27–34. [PubMed]
32. Myers T, Aguinaldo JP, Dakers D, Fischer B, Bullock S, Millson P, Calzavara L. How drug using men who have sex with men account for substance
use during sexual behaviours: Questioning assumptions of HIV prevention and
research. Addiction Research and Theory. 2004;12:213–229.
33. Kinn S, Curzio J. Integrating qualitative and quantitative research methods. J Research in Nursing. 2005;10:317–336.
34. Halkitis PN, Shrem MT, Martin FW. Sexual behavior patterns of methamphetamine-using gay and
bisexual men. Substance Use & Misuse. 2005;40:703–719. [PubMed] 35. Lambert E, Normand J, Stall R, Aral S, Vlahov D. Introduction: New dynamics of HIV risk among drug-using men who
have sex with men. J Urban Health. 2005;82(Suppl 1):1–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
36. Gorman EM, Nelson KR, Applegate T, Scrol A. Club drug and poly-substance abuse and HIV among gay/bisexual
men: Lessons gleaned from a community study. J Gay & Lesbian Social Services. 2004;16:1–17.