1. United States Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010. 2nd edition. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000.
2. Israel BA, Checkoway B, Schulz A, Zimmerman M. Health education and community empowerment: Conceptualizing and measuring perceptions of individual, organizational, and community control. Health Educ Q. 1994;21:149–70. [PubMed]
3. Conger JA, Kanungo RN. The empowerment process: integrating theory and practice. Acad Manage Rev. 1988;13:471–82.
4. Thomas KW, Velhouse BA. Cognitive elements of empowerment: an “interpretive” model of intrinsic task motivation. Acad Manage Rev. 1990;15:666–81.
5. Menon ST. Psychological empowerment: definition, measurement, and validation. Can J Behav Sci. 1999;31:161–4.
6. Zimmerman MA. Empowerment theory: psychological, organizational and community levels of analysis. In: Rappaport J, Seidman E, editors. Handbook of Community Psychology. New York, NY: Plenum Press; 1994.
7. Longo DR, Patrick TB, Kruse RL. The natural history of the use of healthcare information by women with breast cancer: a conceptual model. Proc AMIA Symp. 2001:413–7. Jan. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 8. D'Alessandro DM, Dosa NP. Empowering children and families with information technology. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001;155:1131–6. [PubMed] 9. Levin-Zamir D, Peterburg Y. Health literacy in health systems: perspectives on patient self-management in Israel. Health Promot Internation. 2001;16:87–94. [PubMed] 10. Bodenheimer T, Lorig K, Holman H, Grumbach K. Patient self-management of chronic disease in primary care. JAMA. 2002;288:2469–75. [PubMed]
11. Rogers EM. Diffusion of Innovations. New York, NY: Free Press; 1983. pp. 5–7.
12. Rogers EM. Lessons for guidelines from the diffusion of innovation. Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 1995;21:324–8. [PubMed]
13. City of Chicago. Department of Public Health, Epidemiology Program Report, Community Area Health Inventory, 1989 & 1999, Volume I: Demographic and Health Profiles. Chicago, Ill: Department of Public Health; 2003.
14. Cassey MZ, Masi CM. Every block a village online: a strategy transfer guide. Bureau of Primary Health Care 2000. Available at: http://bphc.hrsa.gov/mtw/STGs.htm. Accessed June 1, 2003.
15. Suarez-Balcazar Y, Kinney L, Masi C, Cassey M, Muhammad B. Implementing a WebTV intervention in an African American neighborhood. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community. In press.
16. Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker A. A review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:173–202. [PubMed]
17. Park PL, Lee WL. A theoretical framework for participatory evaluation research. Sociological Practice. 1999;2:89–100.
18. Selener D. Participatory Action Research and Social Change. Ithaca, NY: The Cornell Participatory Action Research Network; 1997.
19. Suarez-Balcazar Y, Balcazar F, Fawcett SB, et al. Problem identification in applied social research. In: Bryant F, Edwards J, Tindale RS, et al., editors. Social Psychological Methods Applied to Social Issues. New York, NY: Plenum Press; 1992. pp. 25–42.
20. Whyte WF. Participatory Action Research. London, UK: Sage Publications; 1991.
21. Balcazar F, Keys C, Kaplan D, Suarez-Balcazar Y. Participatory action research and people with disabilities: principles and challenges. Can J Rehab. 1999;12:105–12.
22. Fetterman DM, Kaftarian SJ, Wandersman A. Empowerment Evaluation: Knowledge and Tools for Self-Assessment and Accountability. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications; 1996.
23. Fawcett SB, Paine-Andrews A, Francisco VT, et al. Empowering community health initiatives through evaluation. In: Fetterman DM, Kaftarian SJ, Wandersman A, et al., editors. Empowerment Evaluation. London, UK: Sage Publications; 1996. pp. 161–87.
24. Suarez-Balcazar Y, Orellana-Damacela L. A university-community partnership for empowerment evaluation in a community housing organization. Sociological Practice. 1999;1:115–32.
25. Linney JA, Wandersman A. Empowering community groups with evaluation skills: The Prevention Plus III Model. In: Fetterman DM, Kaftarian SJ, Wandersman A, editors. Empowerment Evaluation. London, UK: Sage Publications; 1996. pp. 259–76.
26. American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1994.