1. Hoffman R, Rocca W, Brayne C, et al. The prevalence of dementia in Europe: a collaborative study of 1980-1990 findings. Int J Epidemiol 1991;20: 736-48. [PubMed] 2. Ferri C P, Prince M, Brayne C, Brodaty H, Fratiglioni L, Ganguli M, et al. Global prevalence of dementia: a Delphi consensus study. Lancet 2005;366: 2112-7. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
3. Department of Health. National service framework for older people. London: Stationery Office, 2001.
4. Audit Commission. Forget me not: developing mental health services for older people in England. London: Audit Commission, 2000.
5. Audit Commission Update. Forget me not 2002: developing mental health services for older people in England. London: Audit Commission, 2002.
6. Van Hout H, Vernooij-Dassen M, Bakker K, Blom M, Grol R. General practitioners on dementia: tasks, practices and obstacles. Patient Educ Couns 2000;39: 219-25. [PubMed]
7. Fortinsky RH, Leighton A, Wasson JH. Primary care physicians' diagnostic, management, and referral practices for older persons and families affected by dementia. Res Ageing 1995;17: 124-48.
8. Brodaty H, Howarth GC, Mant A, Kurrle SE. General practice and dementia: a national survey of Australian GPs. Med J Aust 1994;160: 10-4. [PubMed] 9. Bullock R. New drugs for Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Br J Psychiatry 2002;180: 135-9. [PubMed] 10. Moniz-Cook E, Woods RT. The role of memory clinics and psychosocial intervention in early stages of dementia. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1997;12: 1143-5. [PubMed]
11. Iliffe S, Wilcock J, Turner S, Bryans M, Downs M. Educational interventions for dementia care: their development and content. Gerontologist 2002;42(S1): 66.
12. Iliffe S, Austin T, Wilcock J, Bryans M, Turner S, Downs M. Design and implementation of a computer decision support system for the diagnosis and management of dementia syndromes in primary care. Methods Inf Med 2002;41: 98-104. [PubMed]
13. Iliffe S, Wilcock J, Austin T, Walters K, Rait G, Turner S, et al. Dementia diagnosis and management in primary care: developing and testing educational models. Dementia Int J Soc Res Pract 2002;1: 11-23.
14. Wilcock J, Iliffe S, Walters K, Rait G, Austin T, Turner S, et al. The development of an evidence-based curriculum for dementia care training in general practice. Educ Ageing 2003;17: 217-36.
15. Turner S, Iliffe S, Downs M, Bryans M, Wilcock J, Austin T. Decision support software for dementia diagnosis and management in primary care: relevance and potential. Aging Ment Health 2003;7: 28-33. [PubMed]
16. Downs M. The role of general practice and the primary care team in dementia diagnosis and management. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1996;11: 937-42.
17. Iliffe S. Can delays in the recognition of dementia in primary care be avoided? Aging Ment Health 1997;1: 7-10.
18. Iliffe S, Eden A, Downs M, Rae C. The diagnosis and management of dementia in primary care: development, implementation and evaluation of a national training programme. Aging Ment Health 1999;3: 129-35.
19. Iliffe S, Manthorpe J, Eden A. Sooner or later? Issues in the early diagnosis of dementia in general practice: a qualitative study. Fam Pract 2003;20: 376-81. [PubMed]
20. Manthorpe J, Iliffe S, Eden A. The implications of the early recognition of dementia for multiprofessional teamworking: conflicts and contradictions in practitioner perspectives. Dementia Int J Soc Res Pract 2003;2: 163-79.
21. Eccles M, Clarke J, Livingston M, Freemantle N, Mason J. North of England evidence based guidelines development project; guideline for the primary care management of dementia. BMJ 1998;317: 802-8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
22. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Guidance on the use of donepezil, rivastigmine, and galantamine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. London: NICE, 2001.
24. Feder G, Griffiths C, Highton C, Eldrige S, Spencer M, Southgate L. Do clinical guidelines introduced into practice-based education improve care of asthmatic and diabetic patients? A randomised controlled trial in general practice in East London. BMJ 1995;311: 1473-8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 25. Jordan K, Porcheret M, Croft P. Quality of morbidity coding in general practice computerized medical records: a systematic review. Fam Pract 2004;21: 396-412. [PubMed] 26. De Lusignan S, Hague N, Brown A, Majeed A. An educational intervention to improve data recording in the management of ischaemic heart disease in primary care. J Public Health 2004;26: 34-7. [PubMed]
27. Suchman LA. Plans and situated actions: the problem of human-machine communication. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1987.
28. Eccles M, McColl E, Steen N, Rousseau N, Grimshaw J, Parkin D, et al. Effect of computerised evidence based guidelines on management of asthma and angina in adults in primary care: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2002;325: 941-4. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 30. Fahey T. A missed opportunity. Letter. BMJ 2002;325: 941. [PubMed] 31. Purves IN. Clarification and lessons from this study. Letter. BMJ 2002;325: 941. [PubMed] 32. Eccles M, McColl E, Steen N, Rousseau N, Grimshaw J, Parkin D. Authors' reply. Letter. BMJ 2002;325: 941. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
33. Kirkpatrick DI. Evaluating training programmes: the four levels. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 1994.
34. Mann A, Tylee A. Evaluation of change in primary care practice. Int Rev Psychiatry 1998;10: 148-53.
35. Emery JD. Computer support is a complex intervention. Letter. BMJ 2002;325: 941. [PubMed]
36. Ahmad WIU, ed. 'Race' and health in contemporary Britain. Buckingham: Open University Press, 1993.
37. Twigg J, Atkin K. Carers perceived: policy and practice in informal care. Buckingham: Open University Press, 1994.