1. Humber JM. The role of complementary and alternative medicine: accommodating pluralism. J Am Med Assoc. 2002;288:1655–6.
2. Legal status of traditional medicine, complementary/alternative medicine: a worldwide review. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2001.
3. Seidl PR. Pharmaceuticals from natural products: current trends. An Acad Bras Cienc. 2002;74:145–50. [PubMed] 6. Jiang Y, Wang Y, Yan X. Chinese pharmaceutical companies: an emerging industry. Drug Discov Today. 2000;6:610–2. [PubMed]
7. Dubey NK, Rajeshkumar, Tripathi P. Global promotion of herbal medicine: India's opportunity. Curr Sci. 2004;86:37–41.
8. Mashelkar RA. Transforming India into the knowledge power. 1999. PDRC report, Government of India.
9. Patwardhan B, Chopra A, Vaidya ADB. Herbal remedies and the bias against Ayurveda. Curr Sci. 2003;84:1165–6.
10. Fabricant DS, Farnsworth NR. The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery. Environ Health Perspect. 2001;109:69–75. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 11. Maggon K. Best selling human medicine 2002–2004. Drug Discov Today. 2005;11:739–42. [PubMed] 13. Bodekar G, Kronenberg F. A public health agenda for complementary, alternative and traditional (indigenous) medicine. Am J Public Health. 2002;92:1582–91. [PubMed] 14. De Smet PA. Herbal remedies. New Engl J Med. 2002;347:2046–56. [PubMed]
15. Singh J, Singh AK, Khanuja SPS. Medicinal plants: India's opportunities. Pharma Bioworld. 2003;1:59–66.
16. Handa SS. Indian efforts for quality control and standardization of herbal drugs/products. Proceedings of the 1st joint workshop on quality control and standardization of traditional medicine—Indo-China experience; Jan 8–10, 2004.2004.
17. A dream of globalizing the TCM market. Report of the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China. 2003.
19. Cooper EL. CAM, eCAM, bioprospecting: the 21st century pyramid. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2:125–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 20. Gavaghan H. Koop may set up new center for alternative medicine. Nature. 1994;370:591. [PubMed]
21. Traditional Medicine Strategy 2002–2005. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.
22. Gibert TF. Reflections on traditional Chinese medicine and its pharmacopoeia. Ann Pharm Fr. 1998;56:282–5. [PubMed] 23. Cheng JT. Review: drug therapy in Chinese traditional medicine. J Clin Pharmacol. 2000;40:445–50. [PubMed] 24. Hankey A. CAM modalities can stimulate advances in theoretical biology. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2:5–12. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
25. Lad V. Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing. Wilmot: Lotus Press; 1985. The human constitution; pp. 26–36.
26. Cardellina JH. Challenges and opportunities confronting the botanical dietary supplement industry. J Nat Prod. 2002;65:1073–84. [PubMed] 27. Marccus DM, Grollman AP. Botanical medicines—the need for new regulations. New Engl J Med. 2002;347:2073–6. [PubMed]
31. Warude D, Patwardhan B. Botanicals: quality and regulatory issues. J Sci Ind Res. 2005;64:83–92.
32. Farnsworth NR. Relative safety of herbal medicines. Herbalgram. 1993;29:36A-H.
33. Saper RB, Kales SN, Paquin J, Burns MJ, Eisenberg DM, Davis RB, Phillips RS. Heavy metal content of ayurvedic herbal medicine products. J Am Med Assoc. 2004;292:2868–73. [PubMed] 34. Ernst E. Toxic heavy metals and undeclared drugs in Asian herbal medicines. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2002;23:136–9. [PubMed]
35. Mukherjee PK. Quality Control Herbal Drugs. New Delhi: Business Horizons; 2002. Herbal drugs-toxicity and regulations; pp. 39–87.
37. Sharma DC. India raises standards for traditional drugs. Lancet. 2000;356:231. [PubMed]
38. Patwardhan B. A method of treating musculoskeletal disease and a novel composition there of. US Patent. 5494668. 1996.
39. The State Administration of traditional Chinese medicine of the People's Republic of China. Anthology of Policies, Laws and Regulations of the People's Republic of China on Traditional Chinese Medicine. Shangdong: Shangdong University; 1997.
40. Kumar S. India's government promotes traditional healing practices. Lancet. 2000;335:1252.
41. Department of Indian Systems of Medicines and Homoeopathy. Government of India. Annual Report 1999–2000.
42. Barbara AJ, Ginger W. Turmeric patent overturned in legal victory. Herbalgram. 1997;41:11.
43. Ganguli P. Patents and patent information in 1979 and 2004: a perspective from India. World Patent Inf. 2004;26:61–2.
44. Goswami A, Barooch PK, Sandhu JS. Prospect of herbal drugs in the age of globalization—Indian scinario. J Sci Ind Res. 2002;61:423–43.
45. Diwanay S, Gautam M, Patwardhan B. Cytoprotection and immunomodulation in cancer therapy. Curr Med Chem Anti-Canc Agents. 2004;4:479–90. [PubMed] 46. Patwardhan B, Gautam M. Botanical immunodrugs: scope and opportunities. Drug Discov Today. 2005;7:495–502. [PubMed] 47. Normile D. The new face of traditional Chinese medicine. Science. 2003;299:188–90. [PubMed]
48. The Pharmacopoeia of Peoples Republic of China, Pharmacopoeia Commission of the Ministry of Public Health, China, 2002.
49. Tang JL, Zhan SY, Ernst E. Review of randomized controlled trials of traditional Chinese medicine. Br Med J. 1999;319:160–1. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 50. Cao Y, Shi Y, Zheng Y, Shi M, Lo SK. Blood-nourishing and hard-softening capsule costs less in the management of osteoarthritic knee pain: a randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2:363–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 51. Nelson R. FDA issues alert on ephedra supplements in the USA. Lancet. 2004;363:135. [PubMed] 52. Fong KCS, Kinnear PE. Gingko biloba and retrobulbar hemorrhage following peribulbar local anesthetic injection for cataract surgery. Postgrad Med J. 2003;79:531–2. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
53. Patwardhan B, Vaidya ADB, Chorghade M. Ayurveda and natural product drug discovery. Curr Sci. 2004;86:789–99.
54. Ammon HP, Safayhi H, Mack T, Sabieraj J. Mechanism of anti-inflammatory actions of curcumin and boswellic acids. J Ethnopharmacol. 1993;38:113–9. [PubMed]
55. Jayaprakasam B, Muraleedharan GN. Cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme inhibitory withanolides from Withania somnifera leaves. Tetrahydron. 2003;59:841–9.
56. Dwivedi Y, Rastogi R, Garg NK, Dhawan BN. Picroliv and its components kutkoside and picroside I protect liver against galactosamine-induced damage in rats. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1992;71:383–7. [PubMed] 57. Visen PK, Shukla B, Patnaik GK, Dhawan BN. Andrographolide protects rat hepatocytes against paracetamol-induced damage. J Ethnopharmacol. 1993;40:131–6. [PubMed] 58. Johri RK, Zutshi U. Mechanism of action of 6,7,8,9,10,12-hexahydro-azepino-[2,1-b]quinazolin-12-one-(RLX)—a novel bronchodilator. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2000;44:75–81. [PubMed] 59. Bhatt AD. Clinical trials of Ayurvedic medicine: myths, realities and challenges. J Assoc Physicians India. 2001;49:558–62. [PubMed] 60. Sekhar AV, Gandhi DN, Rao NM, Rawal UD. An experimental and clinical evaluation of anti-asthmatic potentialities of Devadaru compound (DC) Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003;47:101–7. [PubMed] 61. Gupta I, Gupta V, Parihar A, Gupta S, Ludtke R, Safayhi H. Effects of Boswellia serrata gum resin in patients with bronchial asthma: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-week clinical study. Eur J Med Res. 1998;3:511–4. [PubMed] 62. Chopra A, Lavin P, Patwardhan B, Chitre D. Randomized double blind trial of an ayurvedic plant derived formulation for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:1365–72. [PubMed] 63. Gupta R, Singhal S, Goyle A, Sharma VN. Antioxidant and hypocholesterolaemic effects of Terminalia arjuna tree-bark powder: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Assoc Physicians India. 2000;49:231–5. [PubMed] 64. Kumar PU, Adhikari P, Pereira P, Bhat P. Safety and efficacy of Hartone in stable angina pectoris—an open comparative trial. J Assoc Physicians India. 1999;47:685–9. [PubMed]
65. Majeed M, Badmaev V, Rajendran R. US Patent. USA: Sabinsa Corporation; 1999. Use of piperine as a bioavailability enhancer.
66. Atal CK, Dubey RK, Singh J. Biochemical basis of enhanced drug availability by piperine: evidence that piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1985;232:258–62. [PubMed] 67. Gautam M, Diwanay SS, Gairola S, Shinde YS, Jadhav SS, Patwardhan BK. Immune response modulation to DPT vaccine by aqueous extract of Withania somnifera in experimental system. Int Immunopharmacol. 2004;4:841–9. [PubMed] 68. Gautam M, Diwanay S, Gairola S, Shinde Y, Patki P, Patwardhan B. Immunoadjuvant potential of Asparagus racemosus aqueous extract in experimental system. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;91:251–5. [PubMed]
69. Arora S, Gupta L, Srivastava V, Sanganabhatla N, Sara DB. Herbal composition for treating various disorders including psoriasis, a process for preparation thereof and method for treatment of such disorders. US Patent. 20030194456. 2003.
70. Singh K, Chandar R, Kapoor NK. Guggulsterone, a potent hypolipidaemic, prevents oxidation of low-density lipoprotein. Phytother Res. 1998;11:291–4.
71. Indian Council of Medical Research. Flexible dose open trail of Vijayasar in cases of newly diagnosed non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Indian J Med Res. 1998;108:24–9. [PubMed] 72. Khan S, Balick MJ. Therapeutic plants of ayurveda: a review of selected clinical and other studies for 166 species. J Altern Complement Med. 2001;7:405–515. [PubMed]
73. The Pharmacopoeia of India. Controller of Publication, Government of India, 1996.
74. Raina MK. Quality control of herbal and herbo-mineral formulations. Indian J Nat Prod. 2003;19:11–5.
75. The Indian Herbal Pharmacopoeia. Mumbai: Indian Drug Manufacturer's Association; 2002.
76. Patwardhan B. Ayugenomics®: integration for customized medicine. Indian J Nat Prod. 2003;19:16–23.
77. Patwardhan B, Joshi K, Chopra A. Classification of human population based on HLA gene polymorphism and the concept of Prakriti in Ayurveda. J Altern Complement Med. 2005;11:349–53. [PubMed] 78. AyuSoft—a decision support system for Ayurveda. C-DAC, (Center for Development of Advance Computing) Pune. Project sponsored by Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Government of India, 2004 www.edac.in.
79. VijayaKumar D, Raghavan KV. Hyderabad: Indian Institute of Chemical Technology; 2002. Novel chromatographic fingerprinting method for standardization of single medicines and formulations. WO 0246739-EP2 0000991 991-263397CSIR G01N30-88.
80. Farooqi AA, Sreeramu BS. Cultivation of Medicinal and Aromatic Crops. Hyderabad: Universities press; 2001. History, importance, present status and future prospects of medicinal crops; pp. 1–19.
81. Wo Jizhou Thinking about the situation of research on GAP in China. Proceedings of the 1st joint workshop on quality control and standardization of traditional medicine—Indo-China experience; Jan 8–10.2004.
82. Subramoniam A, Evans DA, Rajasekharan S, Pushpangadan P. Effect of Trichopus zeylanicus Gaertn. (active fraction) on phagocytosis by peritoneal macrophages and humoral immune response in mice. Indian J Pharmacol. 2000;32:221–5.
83. Susan C, Sethuraman MG, George V, Pushpangadan P. Phytochemical constituents of Trichopus zeylanicus ssp. Travancoricus. J Med Aromatic Plant Sci. 2002;24:703–6.
84. Pushpangadan P. London: 2002. Traditional knowledge & folklore—A benefit-sharing model experimented in India. International conference of commission on intellectual property rights organized by Royal Society.
85. Pushpangadan P. Biodiversity and emerging benefit-sharing arrangements—challenges and opportunities for India. Proc Indian Natl Sci Acad. 2002;B68:297–311.
87. Patwardhan B. Ayurveda: the ‘designer’ medicine: a review of ethno pharmacology and bioprospecting research. Indian Drugs. 2000;37:213–27.
88. Faass N. Integrating Complementary Medicine into Health Systems. Gaithersburg: Aspen Publications; 2001.
89. Vaidya RA, Vaidya ADB, Patwardhan B, Tillu G, Rao Y. Ayurvedic pharmacoepidemiology: a proposed new discipline. J Assoc Physicians India. 2003;51:528. [PubMed]