PMCCPMCCPMCC

Search tips
Search criteria 

Advanced

 
Logo of brjgenpracRCGP homepageJ R Coll Gen Pract at PubMed CentralBJGP at RCGPBJGP at RCGP
 
Br J Gen Pract. 1994 June; 44(383): 271–273.
PMCID: PMC1238900

General practitioners' reasons for not attending a higher professional education course.

Abstract

BACKGROUND. A proposal to run a higher professional education course attracted strong initial interest. However, only 12% of those 74 general practitioners expressing an interest subsequently enrolled on the course. AIM. A study was undertaken to examine the factors that demotivated the remaining 88% from attending. METHOD. A questionnaire was sent to the non-attenders, asking them to rank the impact of each of six factors on their decision not to attend. RESULTS. Major factors included time commitment, general practice workload and family pressures. Cost, attitudes of practice partners and structure of the course were much less important. CONCLUSION. It seems that the conditions imposed by the current demands of working as a general practitioner, rather than the attitudes of the general practitioners themselves, inhibit this form of continuing professional development.

Full text

Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (565K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.

Selected References

These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
  • WHITE RW. Motivation reconsidered: the concept of competence. Psychol Rev. 1959 Sep;66:297–333. [PubMed]
  • Anderson PC. Obstacles to change in medical education. J Med Educ. 1970 Mar;45(3):139–143. [PubMed]
  • Pickup AJ, Mee LG, Hedley AJ. Obstacles to continuing education. J R Coll Gen Pract. 1983 Dec;33(257):799–801. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Curry L, Putnam RW. Continuing medical education in Maritime Canada: the methods physicians use, would prefer and find most effective. Can Med Assoc J. 1981 Mar 1;124(5):563–566. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Rothenberg E, Wolk M, Scheidt S, Schwartz M, Aarons B, Pierson RN., Jr Continuing medical education in New York County: physician attitudes and practices. J Med Educ. 1982 Jul;57(7):541–549. [PubMed]

Articles from The British Journal of General Practice are provided here courtesy of Royal College of General Practitioners