- Individually negotiated with a minimum of 4 kg to be eligible for Phase II
|Move more! Lose more!
- In addition to regular exercise, find at least 5“extra” opportunities to move more each day
|Eat fewer calories
- Consume about 500 fewer calories each day
|Follow the DASH eating style
- Eat 9 to 12 servings fruits and vegetables every day
- Eat 2 to 3 servings of low-fat dairy foods every day
- Eat 25% or less of total calories from fat
- Exercise a total of 180 minutes each week (e.g., 30 minutes on 6 days per week).
- Add this moderate-intensity physical activity in addition to daily routine
|Eat a low-sodium diet
- Eat 2400 mg or less of sodium each day
|Record daily food intake and physical activity
- Keep daily records of food and beverages consumed.
- Keep daily records of exercise minutes
|Limit alcohol consumption
- Women: Drink no more than 1 drink per day
- Men: Drink no more than 2 drinks per day (1 drink = 12 ounces beer, 5 ounces wine, or 1 jigger [½ ounce]of 80-proof liquor)
|Be an active study participant
- Attend intervention group sessions and clinic Visits